Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: All Eyes on Elgato's New EyeTV HD for Macs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default All Eyes on Elgato's New EyeTV HD for Macs

Today our friends at Elgato introduced the EyeTV HD, a pretty nifty video-capture device that lets you watch and record both standard and high definition programs (from cable or satellite) on your Mac. According to the manufacturer, the $200 EyeTV HD links up with your Mac (via USB) through the component video and analog audio outputs from your cable box or DVR.

Watch, record, edit and enjoy cable and satellite television in high-definition with EyeTV HD, a full-featured DVR for your Mac.
    Especially cool is the ability to control and schedule recording using the included EyeTV 3 software, which comes with an infrared channel changer (remote) that routes signals from the EyeTV software to your set-top box. One year of programming data from TV Guide is served up for free, but keeping that luxury will run you $20 bucks annually after the first twelve months.

Best of all, EyeTV HD encodes video using H.264. So, yes, the dual-format capture mode lets you record video in both iPad and iPhone formats at the same exact time. And in case you're wondering, you can also stream high-def video to the iPad - or iPhone - with the EyeTV app ($5) and the brand spankin' new EyeTV 3.4 software update.

The EyeTV HD is available both from Elgato and from the Apple Store. You'll need a Mac running a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (or better) and OS X 10.5.8 (or later).

Image via Elgato

sling box anyone?

that sounds sweet

it sounds like your tethered down. might as well just watch the show on tv
    killall Terminal[]

I'll stick with sling, who needs 3rd party dvr? Sling is sufficient, and comcast is alittle over prices but it's wutever

I'm really pissed, I bough a eyeTV Hybred 1.5 weeks ago. They say on there support section they can't do this in the US... Fix you site Elgato!

would you be able to hook up an xbox 360 to capture hd gameplay? (similar to HD PVR)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DracheNova For This Useful Post:

mosesh (05-24-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by DracheNova View Post
    would you be able to hook up an xbox 360 to capture hd gameplay? (similar to HD PVR)
    Hehe, Is that so that when you get to lazy to play the game, you can just watch it?

Awesome, this is my 360's new capture card.

go on

laugh

@JedixJarf: your back!?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I've got the Hauppague HDDVR with the EyeTV software and it works great. I even have it recording onto my HP Media Smart Server and it works awesome. With an HDMI adapter I can set it up to record a show and watch it back on my 46" Sony. Highly recommended. I only wish that I could choose exactly what format it uses, but you can't which is a bit of a bummer.



Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    @JedixJarf: your back!?
    no, my back

Quote Originally Posted by jaminmc View Post
    Hehe, Is that so that when you get to lazy to play the game, you can just watch it?
    haha.....thats like watching fishing on tv.....to lazy to fish

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

It's so liberating to not care about HD.

its all back
    killall Terminal[]