Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Hates Google's Video Format (Surprise)

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Steve Jobs Hates Google's Video Format (Surprise)

Google weighed in on the web-video wars on Wednesday by rolling out WebM, a new royalty-free media format. Apple has been pushing for broader acceptance of HTML5 video and the H.264 media format as standard, and so a user emailed Steve Jobs to ask his opinion of Google's proposal. Jobs didn't reply directly, but pointed the user to a damning screed by an H.264 developer, which suggested that WebM's video codec was so close to H.264 that it might violate some patents.

Steve Jobs's antipathy for Flash is well-known, and even Adobe acknowledges that it doesn't run well on Macs. As a result, Apple has advocated HTML5 for embedded video, which would mandate a particular video codec be supported by all HTML5-compliant browsers. The problem is that the HTML5 working group is split between supporters of the open-source Ogg Theora format and the H.264 standard, which is encumbered by licensing fees. Apple and Google had both come down on the H.264 side of the debate... until now.

Enter WebM. Google's new format consists of VP8, a video codec developed by On2 (a company that was bought by Google last year), the open source Vorbis audio format, and a container format based on a subset of the Matroska media container. On2 was the company that created the VP3 format that Ogg Theora is built on; VP8, then, is sort of a cousin to Theora. And therein lies the problem for some. Steve Jobs has asserted before that Theora itself uses patented technology. This issue persists in VP8, at least as far as H.264 developer Jason Garrett-Glaser is concerned. He pored through the code and wrote a long, technically-detailed rant about VP8, concluding (in the "Summary for the Lazy," which is about all I could read) that "VP8 copies way too much from H.264 for anyone sane to be comfortable with it, no matter whose word is behind the claim of being patent-free."

Steve Jobs's silent agreement with that sentiment, combined with the statement earlier this month that he is throwing the (significant) weight of Apple behind a defense of H.264 patents, may well create an atmosphere of fear that may dissuade developers from supporting the new format. Despite the fact that Microsoft has already signaled that IE9 will support WebM, in the end, it may all come down to fear of litigation rather than performance and portability. And is that any way to set a standard?
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 05-21-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: link to story about original email

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course he does

Why can't everyone just play nice

It's apple, do they ever play nice?

Apple really isn't doing a great job making friends.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

(in the "Summary for the Lazy," which is about all I could read)
    Well then you shouldn't be reporting on it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple is king! They rule like a king! ..... and we let Apple do it!! .... and ask for more!!

If you're not happy, stop buying Apple products. The only sure way to force a change
    Last edited by Mes; 05-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
    Well then you shouldn't be reporting on it.
    All he did was put a direct quote from it and a link to it in his article as it was relevant to Job's stance on the issue. He didn't give an opinion or interpret it, so what's your gripe?

IM tired of hearing how this guy keeps ragging on the competition! he is acting like a spoiled child oh i dont like you, mine is better bla bla bla!
    get over it! and man up!

Lol Steve is awesome :s

As much as I respect Steve, I can't help but think that he hates everything he hasn't approved/created, and will probably like to see Apple rule the world in his life time. Steve, just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to try and destroy it!

Steve is acting on behalf of his company and want only the best for it. besides, will the loss of flash really make a difference?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Jobs hates everything that isn't his creation. Not a surprise

He's full of himself

Thanks

The evolution of Steve Jobs...

Last edited by adp; 05-21-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (05-21-2010), Jahooba (05-22-2010), k.nitsua (05-21-2010), Luppin (05-21-2010), mortopher (05-21-2010)

I bet you STEVE JOBS is a doucher.....but at least he seems nice at the keynotes.

That son of a b*tch

19. The Following User Says Thank You to applekid80 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (05-22-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    Steve is acting on behalf of his company and want only the best for it. besides, will the loss of flash really make a difference?
    Steve is acting on behalf of money. Plain and simple. The clearest way to get money is to control the market. Some claim it's 'best for consumers' but this excuse is just a rouge! It's always been about the money! All other reasons are spins and hypes to hide the real truth. Money today, more money tomorrow, and much more money in the future. This is Apples goal!

This is all companies goal. Nothing wrong with it . The hard part is selecting the honorable ones amongst the abyss (haha
    Last edited by Mes; 05-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Luppin (05-21-2010)

apple is so full of themselves nowadays.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Man this getting way to
    technical!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast