Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cloud-Based iTunes Next Month?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cloud-Based iTunes Next Month?

It's possible that the new iPhone may not be the only big announcement in June. According to "several online rumors," the long-rumored streaming version of iTunes may be revealed at the Worldwide Developers Conference taking place the beginning of next month. Launching just days after Lala.com shuts down on May 31, the new service, Macsimum News is reporting, will implement Lala's "online locker" technology to allow users to store all their digital content in the cloud.

Apple acquired Lala back in December of last year. Observers have generally concluded that the purchase was a talent grab: Apple wanted engineers with cloud computing expertise that could take their online services to the next level. Digital music pioneer Michael Robertson of MP3.com opined after the deal was concluded that it was a part of Apple's "secret cloud strategy." The company would push a new version of iTunes through Software Update, he asserted, sucking all of users' music into its cloud servers in the background. "Once loaded," Robertson wrote, "users will be able to navigate and play their music, videos and playlists from their personal URL using a browser based iTunes experience."

If true, the move would represent a major evolution for Apple's online presence. MobileMe, the existing Apple cloud service, is estimated to have between two and five million subscribers. The re are currently over a hundred million iTunes accounts, and the amount of space that would be needed to store all that data is staggering. As has long been rumored, this could be the reason why Apple built its massive data center in North Carolina.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (05-16-2010), reaves205 (05-15-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is one thing that Apple could do that actually enhances the experience of their products. Finally putting their name to more use than having police take peoples computers over a phone.

be certainly a nice feature... all your music on the go

Apple wouldn't need to store 50 million copies of stairway to heaven, they would only need one copy (of say, the one you can download from itunes, with not changes) that different people would be able to stream.

Twitter: @tshoults

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-16-2010)

So they're going to host people's entire media collections on their servers? What's their pricing model going to be, subscription-based?

Nonetheless, they're 2 years late - people on the app store have for a long time been coming up with their own workarounds for the fact that iTunes still stubbornly refuses to make any use of network connections. Apps like Orb, ooTunes, Calibre, AirVideo and Spotify have sprung up in response to the fact that most people like to be able to access their data without being within arm's reach of a computer and USB cable, and the developers of those apps are reaping the benefits of Apple's failure.

Ah well, I suppose it'll be useful for people who don't/can't run a server at home. Sounds like a good way to backup your library too.
    Last edited by cypherpunk; 05-15-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Would be really cool can't wait for next month

This could be very useful, imagine being at the park and you decided that you wanted to listen to some of your music collection, just type in the URL and boom! there goes all 3,457 songs in your iTunes Library.

Follow Me on Twitter@ Markanthony3211
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.

didnt we see this arcticle last month, i still dont like the idea
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Or you could use Simplify as I have since the iPhone 3G came out. Always have my entire collection with me, anywhere there's wifi, 3G, or edge.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrain88 View Post
    Or you could use Simplify as I have since the iPhone 3G came out. Always have my entire collection with me, anywhere there's wifi, 3G, or edge.
    Simplify is great if you are a current user. The app isnt available anymore and new users cant sign up unfortunately.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    According to "several online rumors,"
    Stopped reading there.

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
    Stopped reading there.
    unless a press release, everything from apple is a rumor.

Twitter: @tshoults

Just a waste of time, don't like the idea.

Yeah....uhh....i dnt like that idea of that........

This will only be good for people who have all their music brought through iTunes. This is due to apple only storing the music you have purchased through iTunes. They can't allow people to back up all of their music without checks as they'ld potentially be redistributing illegal music and storing it. I know pirates shouldn't be encouraged anyways, but there are those of us who lived in the era before mp3 players. I have a lot of my music on cd which I import to iTunes, I don't see how apple could store these either as they can't guarantee I have the rights to it? Makes it almost not even worth having, if all you have is 20-30 of your albums online. Just get a bigger idevice and then you never have to worry about not having wifi or 3G to stream it back.
    Last edited by Loxs; 05-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.

This idea is crazy. Only Apple could find a way to charge you for your own music. There not going to let you put it on their servers for free. I never understood why anyone wants to have access to all there music anyway. I have almost 9500 songs and never carry more then a few hundred at a time.

People actually survived before there were walkmans. They actually talked to other people. Now you walk around, use public transportation(buses, trains, or planes) and everyone is in their own little world with their headphones on. Not sure we are better off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
    This will only be good for people who have all their music brought through iTunes. This is due to apple only storing the music you have purchased through iTunes. They can't allow people to back up all of their music without checks as they'ld potentially be redistributing illegal music and storing it.
    You're assuming that they'll have some kind of sharing functionality built-in. If so then yeah, that opens up a whole other can of worms.

But I doubt they'll have that; the way I understood it, this was just a way for each individual to back up their collection and have it streamed to them and ONLY them.

As for storage space, while it's true that *right now* they only store the music they're selling, you're forgetting that they're opening a new datacenter in the next month, which should eliminate the storage problem almost completely.

no thanks.

1.5TB-2TB HDDs are <$130 now. I'll store all my music locally. thank you very much for the offer to take my content out of my hands.

One thing I'd love to see if they do this is the ability to sync songs over the air. Most wifi networks I used are fast enough to download a typical MP3 in a matter of a few seconds (barring any server-side bandwidth limits like Rapidshare), and I often think it'd be nice to be able to sync a few albums and get rid of the ones I didn't want anymore or forgot I still had.

That's one thing that no app on the app store or Cydia has done yet (although the one released on Cydia a few days ago shows promise, despite only working on LAN for now), so Apple would actually be offering a brand new service for once.

Not all of use have 32GB iPhones.

how is this going to change anything it will only makes things worse with their crazy idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast