+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cloud-Based iTunes Next Month?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Completely agree with @Loxs, not useful for someone like me who has imported most of my music via CD in to iTunes
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Completely agree with @Loxs, not useful for someone like me who has imported most of my music via CD in to iTunes

Green Apple
    Thanks

cypherpunk I dunno...it just seems so utterly stupid from a business perspective to make a decision that would do nothing but limit their number of potential customers.
    Hey mate,

How if you haven't purchased music from apple are you a customer anyway? Surely they are targeting the people they know spend money with them already in purchasing the music.

Let me tell you why I think they will work it as probably an add-on for mobile-me, and for purchased iTunes music only.

First off apple will save them selves a lot of money, disk space, BW and man hours.

They will save on disk space because by only allowing iTunes purchased music, it saves them the cost of lots of disk space and the pointlessness in storing 100,000 different versions of a certain song. Instead they store it once and basically point to the file they have that you purchased (This is the way Microsoft handles attachments in exchange.). They will also save money in not having to have all that extra bandwidth from people backing up 40g of music. This is way too clunky and un user friendly. Imagine backing up your whole music library in seconds not hours? Or not actually backing up ever. Think about how they would have to charge you storage space + bw costs? Doesn't it make more sense to save the money on all of that, charge the same amount they would have charged and keep all the saving as well?

If they were to allow unpurchased music they would have to pay others to ensure people aren't storing illegal content etc.

It just sounds more apple to be able to do it quickly and with minimal fuss. The whole idea of backing your entire music library up in seconds, sounds like a tagline almost destined with this product. You could imagine steve jobs saying these words if he were to unveil such a service

Just my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Stupid
    This is the dumbest thing I've heard of. Need more space? Don't cheap out when you buy your phone. Sprint uses an online media player- no signal, no music. Storing music online equals the same thing. Cloud computing is great for home/office (or short uses for mobile) use but until any service covers everywhere, and is capable of streaming music with no lag at all times, you will be crossing your fingers alot. If you could download music from the cloud...then play it, it may be more useful. But,my 500 cds' would not be allowed..only Itunes music. I did'nt know someone appointed Apple the morality police. Kind of funny,Apple will not locate a stolen phone for you but they will sell you a $100 program(mobile me)that can.Thanks Apple, for nothing. Seems like alot of that going on latley.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddphone View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I've heard of. Need more space? Don't cheap out when you buy your phone. Sprint uses an online media player- no signal, no music. Storing music online equals the same thing. Cloud computing is great for home/office (or short uses for mobile) use but until any service covers everywhere, and is capable of streaming music with no lag at all times, you will be crossing your fingers alot. If you could download music from the cloud...then play it, it may be more useful. But,my 500 cds' would not be allowed..only Itunes music. I did'nt know someone appointed Apple the morality police. Kind of funny,Apple will not locate a stolen phone for you but they will sell you a $100 program(mobile me)that can.Thanks Apple, for nothing. Seems like alot of that going on latley.
    True that, true that.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123