+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cloud-Based iTunes Next Month?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 This idea is crazy. Only Apple could find a way to charge you for your own music. There not going to let you put it on
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    This idea is crazy. Only Apple could find a way to charge you for your own music. There not going to let you put it on their servers for free. I never understood why anyone wants to have access to all there music anyway. I have almost 9500 songs and never carry more then a few hundred at a time.

People actually survived before there were walkmans. They actually talked to other people. Now you walk around, use public transportation(buses, trains, or planes) and everyone is in their own little world with their headphones on. Not sure we are better off for it.
    While I agree with you and do the same this is specific to an individual. There are those people out there that while on vacation pack their entire homes in luggage because they need to be prepared for anything. Those same types of individuals will appreciate a service like this.

Although I don't see Apple allowing you to store tracks online I can see them going to a subscription based store much like Zune with the difference being they will still allow you to buy individual tracks if you want (I don't know if Zune allows this or not). You can get access to all songs they have in their library and stream them but if a certain track you have in your library isn't in their library you will still have the option to manually store it on your device and listen to it without a connection.

I think it would be smart to cover all bases. Tie this in with a streamlined iTunes store and ability to see upcoming band tours and purchase concert tickets through the store itself and you have a very appealing situation with a built in customer base that dominates the mp3 market as of now.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Run?
    Shouldn't people be running for the hills or something?

I don't like cloud based tech because technically we don't own our products. Well sure we paid for it but we don't have it stored on our computers but instead somewhere far away on another server. This is bad because Apple has more control on what we buy. What if we don't have internet connect or their servers are down? We'd have nothing.

What about jailbreaks and music? I'm pretty sure our music will have to be verified before its sent to the servers in an effort to stop piracy. Jailbreaks will most likely become a lot harder since we need to connect ipods/iphone to the internet to sync with cloud based itunes...

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If this service was offered free it would destroy sales of higher capacity iPhones and iPads. More often than not we are within reach of cell service, so if streaming our entire library were so readily available why both with an extra $100 for another 16gigs? I'm guess this will be a pay service, like Mobile Me, but if it works well they'll happily get my money. My iTunes library is over 250 gigs (all of which is on Lala.com) and I would love access to everything. No way this will be free though.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markanthony3211 View Post
    Follow Me on Twitter@ Markanthony3211
    Why would I want to do that?

This would be a cool option.... one that will come with a $$ IMHO. I don't see apple doing this for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    People actually survived before there were walkmans. They actually talked to other people.....and everyone is in their own little world with their headphones on. Not sure we are better off for it.
    LoL, why would I want to talk to some stranger sitting next to me on a plain train or automobile? I really have no interest in their life. IF I see someone I would like to talk to, a simple removal of H/P is easy enough. Plus with head phones in, that encourages people to keep to themselves.
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-16-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    So they're going to host people's entire media collections on their servers? What's their pricing model going to be, subscription-based?

Nonetheless, they're 2 years late - people on the app store have for a long time been coming up with their own workarounds for the fact that iTunes still stubbornly refuses to make any use of network connections. Apps like Orb, ooTunes, Calibre, AirVideo and Spotify have sprung up in response to the fact that most people like to be able to access their data without being within arm's reach of a computer and USB cable, and the developers of those apps are reaping the benefits of Apple's failure.

Ah well, I suppose it'll be useful for people who don't/can't run a server at home. Sounds like a good way to backup your library too.
    This is APPLE we're talking about mate, they are always late!

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post

This would be a cool option.... one that will come with a $$ IMHO. I don't see apple doing this for free.

LoL, why would I want to talk to some stranger sitting next to me on a plain train or automobile? I really have no interest in their life. IF I see someone I would like to talk to, a simple removal of H/P is easy enough. Plus with head phones in, that encourages people to keep to themselves.
    You sir sound like a little punk.
    Last edited by julioa350; 05-16-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to julioa350 For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (05-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

As of yesterday I have exactly 4444 songs in my iTunes, 

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    be certainly a nice feature... all your music on the go
    Yeah cos we can't have all our music on go already

Quote Originally Posted by Markanthony3211 View Post
    This could be very useful, imagine being at the park and you decided that you wanted to listen to some of your music collection, just type in the URL and boom! there goes all 3,457 songs in your iTunes Library.
    Imagine being at the park and you decided that you wanted to listen to some of your music collection, just take out your iPod/iPhone and boom! there goes all 3,457 songs in your iTunes Library.

I don't see how this is such a great thing.
    1. I bet most of us have iPhones or iPods, if your someone with many thousands of songs, then you probably have an 80GB iPod or similar, so we all have our music "on the go" anywho, and we don't have to worry about data charges (if no wifi) to listen to it.

2. I think it's safe to say that only the music you've purchased via iTunes will be in this cloud, or knowing Apple they'll probably charge you another 30 to put it up there like they did with drm-free music. What about the hundreds or thousands of songs you've ripped from CD's you've bought. Many people had mp3s long before iTunes.

3. The only instance I could see myself want to use this would be if I was at a friends house, somehow without my iPhone, and I wanted to listen to some music I bought on iTunes, then I'd log into my account and stream the music. But that situation is gonna me extremely rare if not non-occuring.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    2. I think it's safe to say that only the music you've purchased via iTunes will be in this cloud, or knowing Apple they'll probably charge you another 30 to put it up there like they did with drm-free music. What about the hundreds or thousands of songs you've ripped from CD's you've bought. Many people had mp3s long before iTunes.
    You're forgetting that they've just built an enormous new datacenter.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're forgetting that they've just built an enormous new datacenter.
    I'm not forgetting anything...
    Apple are NOT gonna let you upload your non-iTunes purchased songs. They'd have no way of knowing if those songs were obtained legally or downloaded illegally.

Thanks

Just Apple being controlling again...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

Dumb. I have about 200mb worth of iTunes music, 10Gb of CD rips, and 20Gb of "other".

When it comes down to it, iTunes downloads are just poor quality. I like my music at 320kbps at least.

Thanks

That's an utterly retarded argument. It's like saying that a sports shop aren't gonna let me buy a baseball bat unless I prove I'm not gonna use it to smash someones head.

Furthermore why else build the datacenter?
    Last edited by cypherpunk; 05-16-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Zak View Post
    Just a waste of time, don't like the idea.
    because you use windowwwwwwwww

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post

I'm not saying that I don't feel the same way sometimes. But on my last trip to San Diego I met two amazing people. One a young girl who had lost the use of her legs and yet had found a way to save and move to San Diego for six months because she had spent her whole life in Canada in snow country and wanted a change if not only for a little while. Very cool story and put life in perspective when you think you have it tough. And the other was an older gentleman who was in the same field as I am (medical equipment sales) and had great insights on how to increase profit margins with some old school techniques that I have already put into use. Anyway would have never spoke to either if I had just put headphones in and ignored them.

Just saying.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's an utterly retarded argument. It's like saying that a sports shop aren't gonna let me buy a baseball bat unless I prove I'm not gonna use it to smash someones head.

Furthermore why else build the datacenter?
    I'm sure we'll see who's retarded in the next few months.

Btw, you have your baseball analogy all wrong, I'm not talking about buying something and proving your gonna use it properly. I'm talking about uploading media that hasn't been purchased via iTunes to Apple Servers.
    Apple have never played nice with formats and content that hasn't been purchased from Apple, so why would they start now.

I acknowledge the fact that they have built a datacenter (how many more times are you gonna point it out) and that it may be used for an iTunes Could service - I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is that it is highly unlikely for Apple to turn around and say, sure heres a loada space for you to upload all your music that we didn't make money from.

Thanks

Fine, it's like saying that I shouldn't be able to deposit anything at a commercial storage facility without proving I haven't stolen it.
    Since when was all property assumed stolen?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    be certainly a nice feature... all your music on the go
    lol that sounds like what some one would say back when the first portable mp3 player would've been a rumor.

but yes I would totally dig this but...I prefer having all of my music in alac so that would bog their servers lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Fine, it's like saying that I shouldn't be able to deposit anything at a commercial storage facility without proving I haven't stolen it.
    Since when was all property assumed stolen?
    I didn't say all non iTunes media is stolen.
    In the online storage world, if something you've uploaded is deemed to breach copyright laws etc, then it is removed from most online storage services.
    But this isn't a generic storage facility or even a random online storage service...this is Apple we're talking about - they are notorious for only allowing what they want on their services, especially when it comes to their mobile devices, which is where a cloud based iTunes would be primarily used. You clearly haven't been following how Apple have operated over the last 10 or so years.
    Hats off to Apple if they do allow you to backup your entire library of music regardless if it was gotten from the iTunes Music Store or not.
    Just don't get all excited over something that probably won't happen.

Thanks

I dunno...it just seems so utterly stupid from a business perspective to make a decision that would do nothing but limit their number of potential customers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone remember the version of iTunes that came with OS8 & 9, came with like 30 odd free tracks, that was sweet, I've still got all of them :-)

Official Apple music haha