Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Microsoft Joining Apple Against Flash?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Is Microsoft Joining Apple Against Flash?

Microsoft - at least in comparison to Apple - has a veritable romance underway with Adobe. But that hasn't stopped Microsoft from flirting with other, more Apple-friendly technologies. Case in point: Microsoft has dibs on H.264-based HTML5 for the all-important web video content market.

In recent days, we've all witnessed Apple's relationship with Adobe deteriorate into a vitriolic war of wars between two former allies in a brave new tech world ripe for the software and technologies of both companies. But with Steve Jobs' latest published rant effectively dismissing Adobe as a thing of the past, Apple is clearly notifying the tech world that Cupertino is moving in a new direction and that everyone else - that is, if they want their content available through an iDevice - should follow along.

Strangely enough, one of the first major names to seemingly get on board with Apple in recent days is Microsoft, which is now also propping up the H.264 standard for HTML5 video content. According to Dean Hachamovitch, Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer:

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.
    While Microsoft continues to broadly support Flash in many aspects, this latest hint suggests that the spark lit by Apple could result in an anti-Flash conflagration that may sweep across the digital landscape in the coming years. While Steve Jobs cited at least six major reasons why Flash is simply not worth supporting in the iPhone OS, Hachamovitch is also trumpeting complaints about Flash's most-nagging issues - those, in particular, that relate to performance, security, and reliability.

By no means is Microsoft dumping Flash. But Microsoft is clearly no longer looking at Flash as a thing of the future. Microsoft and Apple are now arguably united in a likely perception of Adobe as a lingering blast from the past.

Image via geckoandfly

I'm glad. We need that processor hogging flash gone for good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

didn't see that coming!
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

We too ^

Thanks

What's going on? Flash isn't an issue on Windows.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker View Post
    I'm glad. We need that processor hogging flash gone for good.
    Flash isn't a processor hog unless you are on a mac why? because the OS needs work.

Obviously Microsoft is going to obtain w/e they can with any new technology they can't ignore new technology but the difference between M$ and Apple is you won't see M$ stop supporting flash because flash has been good for years.

Apple are being dicks there is nothing wrong with supporting a new form of technology but bashing on the old is a douche move.

Here are the facts Adobe tried to work with Apple for years to get flash running better but Apple says "Its all Flash it has nothing to do with our OS" (this is ********) Apple then attempts to get flash to work on the iPhone and Adobe has no problem doing that until Apple tells them to either get a full version of flash working or to **** off. This is something Adobe can't do without Apple releasing their code and allowing Adobe to bypass some of the restrictions that most iPhone devs have. Apple basically told Adobe they couldn't do it because they sucked at developing stuff when in reality it was Apples fault.

M$ point of view- Support all new forms of technology that works because if we don't we will be hurting the consumers and ultimately our pocket books.

Apples point of view- Be dicks to everyone support only one form of technology screw over their customers and spew lies about other companies (they do it about M$ all the time and now they are doing it about Adobe). Apple is a little kid who starts fits and whines when he doesn't get his way sooner or later Apple will be punished.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

The next one that states rude things to the staff writer will get a infraction!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-01-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: removed sentence

"Always remember your special and unique!"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

battlecrushr (05-01-2010), Ray661 (05-01-2010)

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

finally!
    ive had just about enough of flash now.
    im always having trouble watching videos and games with the message "musing plug-in" and its not just on my computer its on the work computer, school computer and my dads computer.

and they arnt running the same os it varies from windows xp to windows 7 and windows 2008 server.

i know lots of the games are flash based but i cant wait till they are redone in html5 so we can play them on phones with longer battery remaining at the end of the game.
    Last edited by EddieLeonard; 05-01-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    "musing plug-in"
    Ha-ha-ha. Freudian slip.

HTML5 is non-stoppable.

Microsoft is not dumping Flash. They are just opening the door for new technology unlike Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

beside video, what does html5 do better than flash?

I've seen a lot of cool flash sites and i have yet to see anything come close to a awesome looking flash site, I don't get what the problem is with flash and apple. My only understanding is that flash is not meant for anything mobile, but lets not dismiss flash all together now. Or is there something better?

I've sai it once and I'll say if again: HTML5 is the future

*** damn it Microsoft.. You and *** damned I know that flash is a awesome thing.. For f sake.. And even joining apple??? That is LOW. Flash... Adobe.., which is giving you the amazing Photoshop. This is how you repay them? Gates I really thought that you were different than Jobs...
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-01-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: slang

No they repay adobe by using the other products they sale that actually work. And as said before, they are not against completely. They just want to start the embracing of what html5 can offer.
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-01-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is clearly a business move. Not sure whether I think it is a good move or whether I think it will just make the two companies look equally bad.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I love how most of the Apple fanboys go against Flash. It's only crap on Mac OS X.
    The iPhone doesn't even have HTML5 support but does iPhone OS 4.0?

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

The iPhone doesn't even have HTML5 support

And don't get all worried that Microsoft is going to get rid of Flash. This is an Apple site, you won't get unbiased news about Microsoft here. Microsoft is just accepting new technologies while still supporting the old.

the dripple dip is no longer
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not even a mention of Silverlight?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    Flash isn't a processor hog unless you are on a mac why? because the OS needs work.

Obviously Microsoft is going to obtain w/e they can with any new technology they can't ignore new technology but the difference between M$ and Apple is you won't see M$ stop supporting flash because flash has been good for years.

Apple are being dicks there is nothing wrong with supporting a new form of technology but bashing on the old is a douche move.

Here are the facts Adobe tried to work with Apple for years to get flash running better but Apple says "Its all Flash it has nothing to do with our OS" (this is ********) Apple then attempts to get flash to work on the iPhone and Adobe has no problem doing that until Apple tells them to either get a full version of flash working or to **** off. This is something Adobe can't do without Apple releasing their code and allowing Adobe to bypass some of the restrictions that most iPhone devs have. Apple basically told Adobe they couldn't do it because they sucked at developing stuff when in reality it was Apples fault.

M$ point of view- Support all new forms of technology that works because if we don't we will be hurting the consumers and ultimately our pocket books.

Apples point of view- Be dicks to everyone support only one form of technology screw over their customers and spew lies about other companies (they do it about M$ all the time and now they are doing it about Adobe). Apple is a little kid who starts fits and whines when he doesn't get his way sooner or later Apple will be punished.
    Funny how you talk of Apple being dicks when you yourself sound like an angry child with little to no facts. Microsoft shares the same facts about how flash works on mobile devices and PC platforms. Flash is not buggy on most Mac systems. It works just like most Windows systems. Of course you wouldn't know that because you don't own one. Don't speak of what you haven't experienced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast