+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Microsoft Joining Apple Against Flash?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I think there definately needs to be something done about flash on the iphone, I think Apple abandoning it all together is not the answer. Sure Flash uses rollover functionality
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think there definately needs to be something done about flash on the iphone, I think Apple abandoning it all together is not the answer. Sure Flash uses rollover functionality that mobile devices can't do, but I am sure there is a way Adobe can either change this somehow or prevent only those websites that use rollover on mobile devices. It is sad for me to think that Apple can dictate what I get on my phone. Who cares if it is a resource hog, or not...that should really be up to the iphone/ipad owner to decide if we want to access flash sites and games in exchange for shorter battery life. I have had AT&T from the beginning, but the entire reason I got on this forum and learned how to jailbreak and unlock in the first place was because I wasn't about to let AT&T and Apple tell me what I could and couldn't do with my phone I paid full price for. If Apple allowed flash and people stopped using flash, then it would be a different story, but to me this just sounds like another instance of Apple telling me what I can and can't do with MY phone. I own my own company, and I did have plans to buy multiple iPad 3g's and i7-980x mac pros (still rumored I know) when they came out, but both those plans have been put on hold due to the whole Apple vs. Adobe thing. Apple better do something in the future, or the last thing I will have bought from them will be my iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe Adobe should now boycott both Macs and PC!

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
    Not even a mention of Silverlight?
    Silverlight has its uses but I don't think MS themselves expect it to be a full flash replacement. That said, Silverlight itself is more iPhone friendly than flash. You can use Silverlight to stream video to the iPhone.

HTML5 is definitely the way to go, can't wait for Flash to finally die. But as long as there's idiots supporting that old out dated piece of crap, it'll be around I guess. Technology is moving faster than the adoption rate of dumb people and we get to hear them complain over and over again.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 05-01-2010 at 06:29 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

When you go to a party and get totally drunk and talk **** about somebody and dont remember the next day, then nobody talks to you and you dont know why. maybe thats what happend to adobe.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    ust accepting new technologies while still supporting the old.
    which apple will never do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nautical79 View Post
    When you go to a party and get totally drunk and talk **** about somebody and dont remember the next day, then nobody talks to you and you dont know why..
    nah, usually i wake up either

a) wondering who's car i'm in
    b) wondering where my pants are
    c) wondering where all these dead prostitutes came from
    d) all of the above
    Last edited by lolcats1; 05-01-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    Flash isn't a processor hog unless you are on a mac why? because the OS needs work.

Apple are being dicks there is nothing wrong with supporting a new form of technology but bashing on the old is a douche move.

Here are the facts Adobe tried to work with Apple for years to get flash running better but Apple says "Its all Flash it has nothing to do with our OS" (this is ********) Apple then attempts to get flash to work on the iPhone and Adobe has no problem doing that until Apple tells them to either get a full version of flash working or to **** off. This is something Adobe can't do without Apple releasing their code and allowing Adobe to bypass some of the restrictions that most iPhone devs have. Apple basically told Adobe they couldn't do it because they sucked at developing stuff when in reality it was Apples fault.

M$ point of view- Support all new forms of technology that works because if we don't we will be hurting the consumers and ultimately our pocket books.

Apples point of view- Be dicks to everyone support only one form of technology screw over their customers and spew lies about other companies (they do it about M$ all the time and now they are doing it about Adobe). Apple is a little kid who starts fits and whines when he doesn't get his way sooner or later Apple will be punished.
    I think the only "dicks" are the ones crying over the death of flash. And where are these "facts" you mention. Please post some supportive links or information other than a biased, hate Apple filled rant. Here are some "REAL" facts my friend, I suggest you have a read. AppleInsider | Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

MS's Hachamovitch goes on to acknowledge that video on the web today is primarily Flash-based, and while Microsoft continues to work with Adobe on Flash, he also notes that it carries some issues related to reliability, security, and performance. Wow, news flash!!! Security vulnerabilities have followed every release of flash for the past 7 years, bet you didn't know that fact. Their security vulnerabilities opened your PC up like a barn door in a tornado, and you wouldn't have even known it.

And where is the long promised flash on mobile devices, eg: Android. Promised back in Jan'09 and now they say "oh, later dude". They can't write code for tish. Fact, Adobe had only one code writer for Linux. Yeah, really good work practices there, and if he got sick or hit by a bus???

Not only Apple, but Linux and MS have had performance issues. The fact is, Adobe in their stupid arrogance thought nobody would challenge them or their crappy plugin, and now so they will end up in the closet with the floppy disk and DOS command line. Be a troglodyte and stay in the past, but don't stop those of us who wish to move forward. I think the only little kid here is you. I look forward to not having to hear the screams of the whiny punks who love to play with their "flash" one handed.

Suffer Adobe, and your garbage software. Ha ha ha ha!!!!! Who are the dicks now???? Viva Apple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ding dong the witch is dead......
    Last edited by Kroo; 05-01-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Flash does mainly 4 things
    1. Video
    2. Ads
    3. Web games
    4. Makes websites annoying to use through useless animations

Well I hate 2 and 4 so that doesn't matter. As far as video goes plain H.264 is less processor intensive and more open than H.264 video inside of flash. The only thing I don't know if we have a good replacement for is web games.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I love how most of the Apple fanboys go against Flash. It's only crap on Mac OS X.
    The iPhone doesn't even have HTML5 support but does iPhone OS 4.0?
    Umm... Flash sucks on Windows 7 too. Why does my processor get really hot just watching ordinary youtube videos? Flash is simply bloated. Adobe needs to make Flash more efficient otherwise html5 is here to take over.

Thanks

Or maybe your comp sucks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    Quote for truth! Computer turning hot while running Flash videos on YouTube? Lousiest computer ever.

I still support Flash. Maybe Flash isn't the best on mobile platforms, but on computers, Flash is still the way to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker View Post
    Umm... Flash sucks on Windows 7 too. Why does my processor get really hot just watching ordinary youtube videos? Flash is simply bloated. Adobe needs to make Flash more efficient otherwise html5 is here to take over.
    Sounds like it's time to replace that 486.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    And where is the long promised flash on mobile devices, eg: Android. Promised back in Jan'09 and now they say "oh, later dude".
    It's already in closed beta and is being released in May/June.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aqualeris View Post
    Quote for truth! Computer turning hot while running Flash videos on YouTube? Lousiest computer ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Sounds like it's time to replace that 486.
    But you see here, why do I have to upgrade a 2008 computer to play low resolution videos off youtube? The point of html5 is to deliver flash-like content more efficiently to all sorts of hardware. This is why flash isn't suitable for mobile computing. It taxes too much power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker View Post
    But you see here, why do I have to upgrade a 2008 computer to play low resolution videos off youtube? The point of html5 is to deliver flash-like content more efficiently to all sorts of hardware. This is why flash isn't suitable for mobile computing. It taxes too much power.
    Something is wrong with your computer. My netbook plays HD youtube full screen no problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Hulu makes my computer running windows 7 very very hot
    its a mid 2009 MBP
    not the computers fault

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    not the computers fault
    Wrong. MBP's run ******* hot just idling. My cousin and I simply play Age of Empires (1997) and his MBP runs so hot that it shuts down. Borderlands and CoD4 do it even faster. The motherboard just died on it too (probably melted) and was replaced, still does the same thing. It's absolutely ridiculous when you're paying $2000 for a computer comparable to a $500 laptop running Windows.
    Last edited by Success.Is.Sweet; 05-02-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

usually i wake up either

a) wondering who's car i'm in
    b) wondering where my pants are
    c) wondering where all these dead prostitutes came from
    d) all of the above
    This kid is a genious! im afraid thats a signature quote

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

I bet if Steve Jobs said he didn't like soup or pancakes, and then gave 6 reasons why, Campbells and IHOP would go under.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I just saved 45 bucks watching mosely vs mayweather using the infamous flash on my computer... Oh well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I bet if Steve Jobs said he didn't like soup or pancakes, and then gave 6 reasons why, Campbells and IHOP would go under.
    maybe not that, but we'd have staff writers making articles about how soup is the thing of the past, and we need HTMsoup5

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ajblue7's Avatar
    Thanks

For your information, every website is written in html no questions asked. html is the internet standard. Flash is a plugin for websites. since its a plugin and not very good it has a ton of issues. all html5 is doing is adding a standard for the abilities flash provides you to do. but html5 actually does it right. If you have ever watched a HD video on youtube using html5, it is amazing. html5 loads the whole video in approx. 2seconds in HD. and this enables you to click around the whole video as you pleased. facebook also adopted html5 and its fast. flash needs to load everytime you you try to click to a part of a video and also on higher definition videos flash doesnt even load fast enough to keep up with the video playing. Also this can be applied to games .etc if you search for html5 stuff you will find some amazing things

Thanks
    .. looks like we have to go on . Flash is quiet a cool Application , but to do a step further sometime it needs to do a step backwards to get to the best mobile direction.
    Last edited by ModJoe; 05-02-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: miss spelling