+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Blasts Adobe Flash on Apple Website

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by dennder bigghommie, your answer might be an offtopic, and my answer to it as well (even considered flame), but, should i maybe write in my sig. that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    bigghommie,
    your answer might be an offtopic, and my answer to it as well (even considered flame), but, should i maybe write in my sig. that i am MCITP: EA (do you know what it is?) and Linux+ certified professional and might know more about windows than you ever will?
    Not so fast. I'm a CCNA and MCSE. I don't think so buddy. BTW grow up. I know more than you **** is from like elementary school.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Okay, time for my two cents:

I've used flash before, but I'm using HTML5 now... why? HTML5 is easier, cleaner, and uses up FAR less resources.

HTML5 STILL has a long way to go if it wants to compete against Flash, but some of the stuff HTML5 has been able to pull off has been very impressive.

Majority of Flash content online is video playback; this is done far easier and quicker with HTML5.

I don't know how Flash works on a Mac because "I'm a PC" - so I'm not going to get into that topic.

The fact of the matter is in the next few years more people will be viewing online content mobile and not on their desktops. So far, a vast majority of that online content has been view on the iPhone platform. If Apple wants to shift the powers that be towards HTML5, they will. Hulu will most definitely switch over the HTML5 once they get the licenses they need for mobile consumption. ALL of Hulu's interactive content can EASILY be done with BASIC HTML5.

Adobe should adopt the open HTML5 and build on it. Remember, Flash WAS NOT Adobe's to begin with - it was Macromedia's until they were bought out. Adobe has taken Flash and has done wonders with it; I'm sure they can do the same with HTML5.

And finally, for those of you who do not think Flash is going anywhere... think again. YouTube & Facebook were both powerhouses that use a LOT of Flash. They've switched without hardly a hiccup. What's stopping other sites from doing the same? If they realize that a majority of their users are mobile users, then they'll most definitely make the switch.

So there you have it, from a non-apple fanboy who uses Adobe products on a daily basis. Mark my words, Adobe Flash will dissipate unless they adopt HTML5.
    #eli7e revived me

Banned
    Thanks

bigghommie,
    your answer might be an offtopic, and my answer to it as well (even considered flame), but, should i maybe write in my sig. that i am MCITP: EA (do you know what it is?) and Linux+ certified professional and might know more about windows than you ever will?
    Translation:

Ooh! Look at me! I paid for this here piece of paper that has a bunch of letters on it that says I know how to use Microsoft software! I'm better than you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Okay, time for my two cents:

I've used flash before, but I'm using HTML5 now... why? HTML5 is easier, cleaner, and uses up FAR less resources.

HTML5 STILL has a long way to go if it wants to compete against Flash, but some of the stuff HTML5 has been able to pull off has been very impressive.

Majority of Flash content online is video playback; this is done far easier and quicker with HTML5.

I don't know Flash works on a Mac because "I'm a PC" - so I'm not going to get into that topic.

The fact of the matter is in the next few years more people will be viewing online content mobile and not on their desktops. So far, a vast majority of that online content has been view on the iPhone platform. If Apple wants to shift the powers that be towards HTML5, they will. Hulu will most definitely switch over the HTML5 once they get the licenses they need for mobile consumption. ALL of Hulu's interactive content can EASILY be done with BASIC HTML5.

Adobe should adopt the open HTML5 and build on it. Remember, Flash WAS NOT Adobe's to begin with - it was Macromedia's until they were bought out. Adobe has taken Flash and has done wonders with it; I'm sure they can do the same with HTML5.

And finally, for those of you who do not think Flash is going anywhere... think again. YouTube & Facebook were both powerhouses that use a LOT of Flash. They've switched without hardly a hiccup. What's stopping other sites from doing the same? If they realize that a majority of their uses are mobile users, then they'll most definitely make the switch.

So there you have it, from a non-apple fanboy who uses Adobe products on a daily basis. Mark my words, Adobe Flash will dissipate unless they adopt HTML5.
    When you say your using HTML5. Your saying your deployment it in a closed environment cause 95% of the web today is Flash. BTW Chrome is one of the only browsers that support h.264 decoding. Otherwise you got use that Alternative codec.

I love Apple's mobile products. But I'm a PC and I'm happy.
    Last edited by bigghommie; 04-29-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

*Yawn

Wake me up when he's not acting like an emo 15 year old.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Yes, adobe is going to consider closing off over 40% of their revenue to get back at apple. Unlike Apple that gets by just fine without flash, adobe needs apple. Closing that door would be suicide for them.

Also, I agree with pretty much everything Jobs wrote. People who still want flash for some reason are delusional. I hineslty can't wait for droid to get flash (god knows when) just so people see how bad it is.
    htc intruder (att's upcomming android phone, att's version of verizon htc incredible) is shipping with flash 10.1. It will be in att stores may 31st. Saw it in action yesterday. I was quite impressed with it.... I have flash 10.1 on my milestone, and it plays about 70% of flash content....full disclosure-I have a custome rom on my milestone. Flash worked ok with the factory ROM....and saying it worked ok is being generous.
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Thanks

After reading the whole post by Steve Jobs, I noticed that he said that Flash is the number one reason that Macs crash. Although i do not own one, i have been on many and never seen a Mac crash from Flash
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsrule View Post
    As much as I usually disagree with Jobs... He's right you know. HTML5 is they way forward. Flash is a huge CPU hog for what it does and putting it on a mobile device is just stupid. And flash is nowhere near 99% of the web. When I got the iPhone i wanted flash but three years later I have no need for it. All the popular websites use HTML5. It takes someone like Jobs to say don't change the device... Change the Internet.

i agree.
    I have no problems visiting the websites i go to daily on my phone. They all have HTML5 support.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I haven't ever seen a mac crash cause of Adobe Flash.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    After reading the whole post by Steve Jobs, I noticed that he said that Flash is the number one reason that Macs crash. Although i do not own one, i have been on many and never seen a Mac crash from Flash
    I've owned several Macs over the last 10+ years and have seen them crash from plenty of other things having nothing to do with Flash. That's nothing more than Jobs talking out of his a$s just like a lot of the fanbois here.

Thanks
    couldn't have said it better myself!!! 100% agree...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    "Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind."

Sounds like Adobe Flash is done; at least in Apple's view.
    In 1997 the floppy drive was obsolete to steve jobs... I will have to agree with him again, flash will be abandoned by Adobe within 10yrs just like Sony abandoned floppy drive recently.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    My Ipad is better than your netbook. Everything it does it does better than yours.
    you sounded like you knew what you were talking about, until i read that.

even though the keyboard on a netbook is small, it's still better than typing on the virtual thing apple gave you. and no, the bluetooth keyboard does not count. why? because i'd love to see you lug around a stand and keyboard, just to type correctly. or how about when you're laying down on the couch? or sitting with it on your lap? just a few things netbooks will always do better.

ipad is for consumption.... so seriously, shut up.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to back9player For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (04-29-2010), MetallicaFan1991 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

can anyone share a list of sites that utilize HTML5? i'd like to use them on my ipod, really.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    can anyone share a list of sites that utilize HTML5? i'd like to use them on my ipod, really.
    101 Best HTML5 Sites

Thanks

the only one(s) that comes to mind that hasnt already been talked about, thats main purpose is video is crunchyroll (for sure), and dailymotion (i believe).Heres some others-vimeo, espn, si, cbs, abc, mlb.com, nhl.com....

curses-roke beat me too it.

Thanks

but no good media sites, actual game sites, or anything useful like that?

am disappoint

Thanks

but no good media sites, actual game sites, or anything useful like that?

am disappoint
    crunchy is a pretty interesting media site, all kinds of vidoes to pick from, and waaaaaayyyy better quality than yutube. Although for most of the good stuff you have to pay to join.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Its about Google not flash
    The overwhelming majority of viewed content on the web right now is flash, in part because the overwhelming majority of viewed content is on Google. 70%. Also, Google is now competing directly with Apple through the Droid handset. What ultimately predominates has little to do with the best technology, but about controlling market share, so if Google decides to stick with flash, and support flash on its handset technology, everyone *else* (except maybe Apple) will eventually be supporting flash.

The 70% figure is for Youtube which is controlled by Google.
    Last edited by pcollacchi; 04-29-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thisisasticup View Post
    This right here says it best

"Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover. Most Flash websites will need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices. If developers need to rewrite their Flash websites, why not use modern technologies like HTML5, CSS and JavaScript?"
    What do you mean that JavaScript is modern Hah.. Its like exactly 15 years old now.. Almost no use for it. HTML5 Sucks.. You know it, I know it, everybody else knows it.. Flash was the Past, still is the future, and WILL be the future. Apple thinks they can do whatever they want and like everyone else will follow too. Sooner or later Apple will bankrupt if this keeps up. By the way I would Love to see Adobe disabling PhotoShop for Macs ;]