+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Blasts Adobe Flash on Apple Website

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As much as I usually disagree with Jobs... He's right you know. HTML5 is they way forward. Flash is a huge CPU hog for what it does and putting it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As much as I usually disagree with Jobs... He's right you know. HTML5 is they way forward. Flash is a huge CPU hog for what it does and putting it on a mobile device is just stupid. And flash is nowhere near 99% of the web. When I got the iPhone i wanted flash but three years later I have no need for it. All the popular websites use HTML5. It takes someone like Jobs to say don't change the device... Change the Internet.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The HTC Desire or Evo or one of them have Flash 10.1 and they run perfectly. The Flash is a part of the Sense UI so some Android users got it early.

Majority of the people who think Flash sucks are stuck up Apple fanboys and you know it. Flash works fine on Windows and not Mac because Apple wouldn't let Adobe use some API or something. Adobe Flash update for Mac will probably make it work better in Safari.
    Why hasn't someone brought it through Cydia????

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You tell them Steve.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

I like how apple moves forward software wise but lags behind, hard, in the hardware department.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

From the looks of it, Steve Jobs just wanted to make known his true feelings about Adobe Flash - just in case we haven't been able to accurately deduce from a multitude of blatant indicators elsewhere that Apple simply doesn't like Flash and wants no part of it. Just to clear up any confusion, Steve Jobs published what some are now calling an anti-Flash manifesto directly to the Apple website.

Communicating in his own words with no comments "taken out of context," Steve Jobs let loose in his letter with a resounding rejection of Adobe, ostensibly designating Flash as a relic of the past that was fit for PCs but antiquated and impractical in the era of mobile devices. Consequently, Jobs was forced to concede that Apple and Adobe have "grown apart" with the two mega brands now sharing "few joint interests."

While Steve Jobs utilized no shortage of examples in today's letter to argue that Adobe is basically a thing of the past, perhaps the most biting argument made by Jobs is that Flash isn't needed to fully enjoy Apple devices, which have rendered Flash "no longer necessary." In essence, Jobs served up his greatest hits, pointing out that Flash is a closed system and that "sub-standard apps" would result from converting Flash applications to the iPhone.

While we can almost envision the folks at Adobe firing back likely even before the start of the weekend, Steve Jobs has clearly delineated his argument against Flash, leaving nothing to the imagination with regard to his company's ongoing exodus from all things Adobe. And once he finished explaining why Apple is effectively out of the Flash game, he made a point to rib Adobe one last time and suggest how they should retool their own business strategy.
    I find it interesting how anyone can put a different spin on the story or any story. On this site they want to portray as Apple Slams Adobe. I read Mr. Jobs letter and in my opinion he did not slam or Jab at adobe. I noticed some want to say, Apple does not want you to enjoy flash or multitasking ect... ect ..ect..... No different then Adobe saying, you want to make games run on the web, a phone or any where else you need to use FLASH. Adobe is in to make a profit. Adobe is going to do there best to dominate the market and try to portray their product is better then the rest. There are many other formats that can be used like HTML5 or CSS or Java that have proven to be better than flash.
    Sony did the same with HD-DVD. Sony said that they sold more Blue-ray unit then Toshiba's HD-DVD. What Sony did not say was that 80% of there sales were PS3 and only 20% were standalone units. Sony only paited the picture they wanted everyone to see and not reality. Sony did not want to loss for a second time, like it did with the VHS/beta war. Adobe is no different. From what I have read and seem for my self there are issues with Flash, adobe has admitted there are.

So if Adobe does not fix the issues. the end user has to deal with the issues that Flash has i.e
    Reliability, Security, and Performance issues we would be complaining that its Apple's fault. Battery Life, we all don't want that. Flash does not support multi-touch, it requires a cursor to work. So I recommend to everyone to do some research before drawing a conclusion because someone on the web/or on a forum say so.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 716 Posts

Flash is a closed system
    That's rich coming from Steve/Appl£
    Last edited by dsg; 04-29-2010 at 01:37 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Apple Get Bent
    We want Flash Apple!!! Get bent!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    The HTC Desire or Evo or one of them have Flash 10.1 and they run perfectly. The Flash is a part of the Sense UI so some Android users got it early.

Majority of the people who think Flash sucks are stuck up Apple fanboys and you know it. Flash works fine on Windows and not Mac because Apple wouldn't let Adobe use some API or something. Adobe Flash update for Mac will probably make it work better in Safari.
    Some have Flash Lite, which really isn't great, but it does open up a little bit of Flash content.

Flash 10.1 is already in closed beta and will be released as an open beta in the coming months. It is still going to be released before the end of June for current Android phones, but phones with it preinstalled will not ship until after June.

Steve, keep your HTML5. While it is in fact where technology will be heading, in it's current form Flash is still better. Then of course there's the fact that the vast majority of the internet still uses Flash.

Personally, I'll be happy watching Hulu anywhere I want in a month or two while the internet still looks like swiss cheese and blue legos on the iPad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    That's rich coming from Steve/Appl£
    You didn't read the rest of what he said then? Doofus

Quote Originally Posted by bigghommie View Post
    We want Flash Apple!!! Get bent!!!
    Do we? You don't need Flash

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just regurgitating what someone else said on a blog.

You don't know if it's the Desire or the Evo, so how the hell do you know it runs perfectly?

Seriously. Shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Some have Flash Lite, which really isn't great, but it does open up a little bit of Flash content.

Flash 10.1 is already in closed beta and will be released as an open beta in the coming months. It is still going to be released before the end of June for current Android phones, but phones with it preinstalled will not ship until after June.

Steve, keep your HTML5. While it is in fact where technology will be heading, in it's current form Flash is still better. Then of course there's the fact that the vast majority of the internet still uses Flash.

Personally, I'll be happy watching Hulu anywhere I want in a month or two while the internet still looks like swiss cheese and blue legos on the iPad.
    The vast majority of the internet uses Flash? Seriously, kid. Tell us why Flash is better.

My Ipad is better than your netbook. Everything it does it does better than yours.
    Last edited by redcard; 04-29-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.
    i laughed when i read that. talking about closed systems

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 716 Posts

Haha yeah........

I only read the article here not what Steve actually wrote.

I still think That's rich coming from Steve/Appl£, or anybody criticising anybody else when they do it there self
    Last edited by dsg; 04-29-2010 at 02:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Apple is THE most proprietary company in IT!
    Apple is THE most proprietary company in IT! Seriously, Steve Jobs, you shouldn't be talking about Proprietary'ness. I use to work for Apple Retail. You notice a trend.

Thanks

extremzocker

I, and anyone knowing anything about MacOS could laugh on you. Have you seen what software uses Apple in their OS? And do you know that some of the software apple even helped improving and made available back to the public?
    Tell that about Adobe or Microsoft...

No one denies that apple uses tons of proprietary things (even Jobs admitted it in the "letter"). But flash is a closed platform, that is undeniable.

I, for one, agree with Jobs about one thing - flash era has come to an end (unfortunately), i personally used flash since Flash 5 as a developer.
    Last edited by dennder; 04-29-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its quite ironic to hear Jobs talk about OPEN systems. OPEN up linux underneath Steve. The unbroken iPad is little more than a closed version of Linux with a touch screen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    extremzocker

I, and anyone knowing anything about MacOS could laugh on you. Have you seen what software uses Apple in their OS? And do you know that some of the software apple even helped improving and made available back to the public?
    Tell that about Adobe or Microsoft...

No one denies that apple uses tons of proprietary things (even Jobs admitted it in the "letter"). But flash is a closed platform, that is undeniable.
    Wow are you guys noobies. Get a PC learn some .net. Play some DirectX games. Join 95% of the IT world. Apple is becoming more of a mobile platform. Did you hear 10.7 might run iPhone apps? Do you really need a OS that similes as you?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travelbytommy View Post
    If apple reads this, I had planned on getting an iPad 3g when it goes on sale tomorrow, as well as the rumored Mac Pro with the i7-980x six core processor if it ever came to be...
    So if Apple doesn't read this, you hadn't planned on buying any of those wonderful products?

Theres a very good reason for ditching flash, HTML5 is awesome, eventually HTML6 will take over, and the world will forget all about Flash.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Everything my ipad does it does better than your netbook
    yeah, totally.

like: synch my ipod, and download files from the internet, and run more than 1 application at a time, and burn cd's, and on and on.

just stop, we get it. you will go along with whatever steve jobs says, you don't need to prove it to us.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

caniac61906 (04-29-2010), creasy425 (04-29-2010)

Thanks

bigghommie,
    your answer might be an offtopic, and my answer to it as well (even considered flame), but, should i maybe write in my sig. that i am MCITP: EA (do you know what it is?) and Linux+ certified professional and might know more about windows than you ever will?
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    Hah Steve Jobs.. You are a very pathetic person. Almost 99.9% of the web HAS flash. You can't expect them to just adopt to this stupid HTML5..

Really... when almost everyone is getting an iPhone or iPad, i'm pretty sure sites are going to want to support some of the most popular products on the market right now. And btw, many popular sites have started converting to HTML 5, including Facebook which almost everyone uses. You are the pathetic person.