Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Core i7 in MacBook Pro Hot Enough to Boil Water

Haven t had a problem with my i7...

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

My MBP 15" gets hot these days, Downloaded smc and increased fans to maximum, was awesome lol. Cool air blowing out of it

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Default hahah
    yeah what else is new it seems the pros always have overheating issues, my buddy makes grill cheese on his

the real question: why is there fire in that image
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

These computers are basically meant to be used as portable work stations. I rarely use it on my lap. I'll take it to school and put it on a desk there and then I'll come home and put it on a desk there. The hottest that mine has ever been is 175F while ripping a DVD with handbrake using 100% of all 4 cores.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    lol. a MBP isn't a "pro grade" computer. it's a "consumer-grade" computer.

if you want better reliability than a consumer-grade computer, you'll need to buy a workstation-grade machine.

that means Dell Precision. That means Lenovo W series. That means HP Elitebook. Everything else (including Apple laptops) are a clear notch below, regardless of the [inflated] pricetag.

just because Apple calls it a "Pro" doesn't make it so. it's one of the least powerful laptops in its class, overall. which makes the heat issues even more unreasonable.
    Yeah, maybe a 13in MBP is a consumer grade computer, but the i5 and i7 models have much more power than is need by the average email checker. Dell sucks. Hard. HP computers are notorious for their sucky track pads. IMO, the only computer that I would have ever bought other than a mac would have been a Sony. But sony doesn't run OSX (without hackintosh) so I think I'll keep my macbook pro. Which, by the way, doesn't get any hotter than my friend gateway.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 04-27-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Lapto...err, Notebook.
    According to Apple, “The MacBook is a notebook, not a laptop, refer to your user manual.”

In which it states:

"When you’re using your MacBook or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm (or boiling hot). For prolonged use (15 minutes), place your MacBook on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. (You gotta wonder if some poor employee had to sit with a mbp and wait to see if it burns his crotch..."uh yep, AHHH.. its burning!") The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. (...define normal...213°F?) In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case." (oh, you mean those slots covered by the screen?)

Its funny, all their marketing points to it being a laptop; people using the computer in their lap, some ads even using the word "lap." But when suddenly its burning the hell out of your legs, it becomes a "notebook." Lol... silly Apple with their tricky words..

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

real world, these stats are meaningless. burn in and performance testing is not something the average users does everyday with their device on their lap.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

My mbp only get really hot when i do some video editing or some heavy work like rendering, other than that is all good.

Thanks

Let someone get burn so they can sue Apple.

look! a portable stove!
    lets go camping and make
    some eegs guys

Thanks

I don't wish to upgrade unless this issue will be fixed.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    lol. a MBP isn't a "pro grade" computer. it's a "consumer-grade" computer.

if you want better reliability than a consumer-grade computer, you'll need to buy a workstation-grade machine.

that means Dell Precision. That means Lenovo W series. That means HP Elitebook. Everything else (including Apple laptops) are a clear notch below, regardless of the [inflated] pricetag.

just because Apple calls it a "Pro" doesn't make it so. it's one of the least powerful laptops in its class, overall. which makes the heat issues even more unreasonable.
    Least powerful laptops in its class? back up your claims please

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    These computers are basically meant to be used as portable work stations. I rarely use it on my lap. I'll take it to school and put it on a desk there and then I'll come home and put it on a desk there. The hottest that mine has ever been is 175F while ripping a DVD with handbrake using 100% of all 4 cores.

Yeah, maybe a 13in MBP is a consumer grade computer, but the i5 and i7 models have much more power than is need by the average email checker. Dell sucks. Hard. HP computers are notorious for their sucky track pads. IMO, the only computer that I would have ever bought other than a mac would have been a Sony. But sony doesn't run OSX (without hackintosh) so I think I'll keep my macbook pro. Which, by the way, doesn't get any hotter than my friend gateway.
    I am running the i7 in an HP and I don't have a sucky track pad...whatever that is. I assume you mean the touch pad? It does get hot though while gaming. 157 degrees(F). I am in the market for a fan pad that actually cools where it needs to. On the HP it is in the top left corner of the laptop...every fan pad I have seen cools the center of the laptop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I am running the i7 in an HP and I don't have a sucky track pad...whatever that is. I assume you mean the touch pad? It does get hot though while gaming. 157 degrees(F). I am in the market for a fan pad that actually cools where it needs to. On the HP it is in the top left corner of the laptop...every fan pad I have seen cools the center of the laptop.
    macs have track pads. sorry for the confusion. its what apple calls them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (05-04-2010)

Touchpad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tomato tomato (yeah i know they both sound the same when you read them but you know how it goes)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (05-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

I purchased an i7 MBP 15" and it should be coming tomorrow so i'll let you know if heat really is an issue.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

Come on people. It's a business! They're not going to make products that last forever. Do the best you can to keep it as cool as you can and when it dies...go buy another, newer, better one. That's how capitalism works. You've bought in to this system your whole life.

Holy necro post! This thread is a year old!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-30-2011)

A year is not so long... Think of it as a zombie post...?

Generally it is not an issue if it is a contributing post. In this case, the post contributes nothing to a well known "problem" with computers that use i7 processors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast