+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X 10.7 Talk Sparks Controversy

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by robbpell when did the apple turn into a swastika So true, so true
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    when did the apple turn into a swastika
    So true, so true

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

app store for mac? sounds nice, yet something sinister lurking behind it
    Last edited by jay2712; 04-24-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

not gonna happen, guys.

Apple isn't stupid. Shady at times...but not stupid.

Thanks

This is absolutely BS. If Apple decides to rule our Macs then Linux will become an option.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

So, how long until we are jailbreaking our MacBook Pros?
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If, indeed the gossip is correct... *****, well... see you in many-many years. I will continue to use my current desktops and then convert back to classic PC (windows or linux, whateva is da best in that time).
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

Perhaps I'm being naive here, but I don't see this the way some of you people have been describing it.

What I see is that they're basically taking the package management/repo system that's existed on Linux platforms for years, expanding it to allow commercial apps, and going a step further by having every binary signed by the repository owner. What I expect we'll see is a way to whitelist certificates to accept, in addition to a global option to allow or disallow unsigned binaries from running.

From a security perspective this is actually a very good thing - the repo system is one of Linux's biggest strengths, and having every binary signed will guarantee the user that it hasn't been modified.

An added advantage is that it could allow companies to implement DRM in a more modern and less invasive way, since downloading, activating and updating software would be tied to the same billing account the user used to purchase it (it of course won't stop piracy, but it'll let companies deny pirates support and updates without inconveniencing legitimate customers).

Again maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I don't see a claim anywhere on Apple's site that the next version of OSX will ONLY run Apple signed binaries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cypherpunk For This Useful Post:

CanadianSongEmperor (05-08-2010)

Thanks

If that happens, Apple can suck my balls as I transition over to Win8. No way in hell am I going to **** around with jailbreaking my Mac, it's stupid enough that we have to do that to our iPhones to get the features we want.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yomommah's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreak a desktop... I never thought I'd see the day
    HEY WIN-HATERS! YOU BETTER GET USED TO USING A WINDOWS MACHINE TO JAILBREAK YOUR PRECIOUS RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED COMPUTERS!!!
    apparently jobs has a domination fetish or something
    Last edited by yomommah; 04-24-2010 at 08:15 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlexSurferOne View Post
    If your Vista is more stable then 10.6.3 then maybe Apple is right about this move. I don't know what applications your using on your 10.6.3 but I'm sure those application are what causing instability of your Mac compared to Vista, and this is what Apply trying to avoid.
    You mean like using Preview to scan a document? Or using any program to print in 10.6.3 and having it fail miserably? Or that 10.6 handles printers in the worst way I've ever seen? Or that even with 10.6.3 my WHS and every other network drive gets dropped after 5-10 minutes of inactivity? Or having my processor useage go through the roof when using iTunes? Or iTunes locking up every single function on my MacBook while it decides what to do when syncing my iPhone? Or that my new mail sound STILL doesn't work? Or that I can't use my computer for at least 5 minutes after a fresh reboot because it has the spinning beach ball when trying to start a whopping 5 apps? Or that when I shut the lid it goes to sleep and then refuses to properly wake up? Or when it's asleep and I open the lid it stays asleep and then when I close the lid it wakes up and on and on? Or that SL STILL doesn't have an even half-decent window manager?

You mean those bugs? Apple has gotten progressively worse with OS updates. I can't believe how much slower 10.6 is than 10.5. It's staggering.

Vista wasn't a failure on anything other than file transfer speed. Alot of hardware vendors, almost of all them as a matter of fact, were at majority fault for Vistas problems. They didn't write stable drivers and such because they figured XP drivers would be fine. Some were some weren't. Vista had to cope with millions upon millions of hardware combos and it got it right pretty often, those vendors that didn't write stable drivers ruined their reputation. Windows 7 is written on damn near the same kernel and it's fantastic.

And I don't think Apple would do something like this. This could cause so many problems it's mid blowing to think about. They have almost no reason to do this because a desktop/laptop isn't a mobile platform that has limited input and slow hardware. The quality app desire isn't there because they don't have any reason to control that experience. With iPhone/iPad/iPod the generate and tremendous amount of revenue after the sale, when a MacBook/iMac/Mac is sold there really isn't. They've sold the hardware to you already. I don't get where this would make sense.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 04-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks

OMG people! This is a freaking RUMOR that some random dude THINKS is going to happen! let me define RUMOR for you.

rumor |ˈroōmər| ( Brit. rumour)
    noun
    a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth : they were investigating rumors of a massacre | rumor has it that he will take a year off.
    verb ( be rumored)
    be circulated as an unverified account : [with clause ] it's rumored that he lives on a houseboat | [with infinitive ] she is rumored to have gone into hiding.
    ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French rumur, from Latin rumor ‘noise.’

from my macbook's dictionary app

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Oh my God. If this happens...God forbid I should say this...I'm going back to Windows.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    You mean like using Preview to scan a document? Or using any program to print in 10.6.3 and having it fail miserably? Or that 10.6 handles printers in the worst way I've ever seen? Or that even with 10.6.3 my WHS and every other network drive gets dropped after 5-10 minutes of inactivity? Or having my processor useage go through the roof when using iTunes? Or iTunes locking up every single function on my MacBook while it decides what to do when syncing my iPhone? Or that my new mail sound STILL doesn't work? Or that I can't use my computer for at least 5 minutes after a fresh reboot because it has the spinning beach ball when trying to start a whopping 5 apps? Or that when I shut the lid it goes to sleep and then refuses to properly wake up? Or when it's asleep and I open the lid it stays asleep and then when I close the lid it wakes up and on and on? Or that SL STILL doesn't have an even half-decent window manager?

You mean those bugs? Apple has gotten progressively worse with OS updates. I can't believe how much slower 10.6 is than 10.5. It's staggering.

Vista wasn't a failure on anything other than file transfer speed. Alot of hardware vendors, almost of all them as a matter of fact, were at majority fault for Vistas problems. They didn't write stable drivers and such because they figured XP drivers would be fine. Some were some weren't. Vista had to cope with millions upon millions of hardware combos and it got it right pretty often, those vendors that didn't write stable drivers ruined their reputation. Windows 7 is written on damn near the same kernel and it's fantastic.

And I don't think Apple would do something like this. This could cause so many problems it's mid blowing to think about. They have almost no reason to do this because a desktop/laptop isn't a mobile platform that has limited input and slow hardware. The quality app desire isn't there because they don't have any reason to control that experience. With iPhone/iPad/iPod the generate and tremendous amount of revenue after the sale, when a MacBook/iMac/Mac is sold there really isn't. They've sold the hardware to you already. I don't get where this would make sense.
    I'm sorry your experience has tainted your view. Yours is not a normal or typical experience. Have you done anything yourself to rectify the problem, like backing up your data with time machine, wiping the drive and doing a clean install? It's quite clear you have serious conflict issues and that is the best way to fix it. You can then migrate all your stuff back. If your issues were wide spread, then we'd all hear about it and Apple would be in trouble, so if you can except that yours is not a typical experience, then you will get the true value from your Macbook. One tip, regularly repair disk permissions with disk utility. After software updates and software installs, it keeps the system clean. Installing OS's on top of old problems will give you more problems. I've had many Macs over the years (and work with windows OS's at work, and I don't prefer them) and haven't had any major issues unless I created them myself. Give it a go, clean install (you can with Snow leopard just google it), and give it a real chance to do what it does for all of us that don't have your problems. Best of luck.

Thanks

Is the jailbreak out for my MacBook yet? Lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    I'm sorry your experience has tainted your view. Yours is not a normal or typical experience. Have you done anything yourself to rectify the problem, like backing up your data with time machine, wiping the drive and doing a clean install? It's quite clear you have serious conflict issues and that is the best way to fix it. You can then migrate all your stuff back. If your issues were wide spread, then we'd all hear about it and Apple would be in trouble, so if you can except that yours is not a typical experience, then you will get the true value from your Macbook. One tip, regularly repair disk permissions with disk utility. After software updates and software installs, it keeps the system clean. Installing OS's on top of old problems will give you more problems. I've had many Macs over the years (and work with windows OS's at work, and I don't prefer them) and haven't had any major issues unless I created them myself. Give it a go, clean install (you can with Snow leopard just google it), and give it a real chance to do what it does for all of us that don't have your problems. Best of luck.
    I've asked the question about if doing a clean install to fix my problems and have gotten no answers and no feedback! It's happened to my moms iMac, ALL the exact problems I've gotten, and hers was an upgrade install rather than a clean install too. She constantly complains about how slow it is now compared to before she upgraded. I've run disk repair as well and it's had no effect. Windows 7 boots in at least a third the time, but all I've got installed is steam and a few games. OS X is better than 7 in alot of keys areas and I prefer it to 7, but 7 and Vista weren't as bad as people paint it. I'd say 80% of the complainers never used it just regurgitated what they were told was bad about it.

I've avoided a clean install because I don't want to waste four hours of my life doing something I shouldn't have to. I regularly back up with time machine but I would rather wait to do a clean install until after I do the update on my Windows Home Server to make sure that it works from there, obviously keeping my current backup just in case! It hasn't tainted my view of OS X, but the mail not making sounds when recieving and email is widely documented. That's not an issue that only I have.

EDIT: I had ZERO of the current problems I have now when running the most current version of Leopard. ALL of my problems started when I went to Snow Leopard, and nothing has gotten better. My printers especially have gotten worse. I have to disconnect and reconnect both my printer and my wireless connection.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 04-25-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I've asked the question about if doing a clean install to fix my problems and have gotten no answers and no feedback! It's happened to my moms iMac, ALL the exact problems I've gotten, and hers was an upgrade install rather than a clean install too. She constantly complains about how slow it is now compared to before she upgraded. I've run disk repair as well and it's had no effect. Windows 7 boots in at least a third the time, but all I've got installed is steam and a few games. OS X is better than 7 in alot of keys areas and I prefer it to 7, but 7 and Vista weren't as bad as people paint it. I'd say 80% of the complainers never used it just regurgitated what they were told was bad about it.

I've avoided a clean install because I don't want to waste four hours of my life doing something I shouldn't have to. I regularly back up with time machine but I would rather wait to do a clean install until after I do the update on my Windows Home Server to make sure that it works from there, obviously keeping my current backup just in case! It hasn't tainted my view of OS X, but the mail not making sounds when recieving and email is widely documented. That's not an issue that only I have.

EDIT: I had ZERO of the current problems I have now when running the most current version of Leopard. ALL of my problems started when I went to Snow Leopard, and nothing has gotten better. My printers especially have gotten worse. I have to disconnect and reconnect both my printer and my wireless connection.
    I agree, print drivers on Snow Leopard initial release weren't the best, it caught many companies on the hop and below par drivers were put out. Check the manufacturers driver download page and see if updates have been posted. There were driver updates in the last bunch of software update, but check anyway. I would highly recommend a clean install, it doesn't take all that long. I did my two daughters macbooks, back up and all, and a clean install, in a morning, only recently and their maccbooks are running better. Probably 2-3 hours in total. Migration works seamlessly, and all the users prefs are as they were before. Mail sound, well mine works 90% of the time, but I'm not losing sleep over it. Try changing the format the sound is in, it may help. I don't use preview to scan, image capture is way better at that, unless the twain driver isn't supported. I don't know how much RAM you're running on but an upgrade will always help. 1GB is the minimum on SL but 2-4 is best, 8 even better.

I'd go into systems prefs/printers, and remove all the printers added to the list and re-add them. Sometimes proxies pop up like HP 810-1, the one being one of two of the same printer, so proxies can stuff up SL seeing the correct printer connected. I wouldn't use the printers software either, they're not up to it in most cases. Also, too many startup items will bog down your startup time. I only use essential items, as this has always been an issue all the way back to Tiger. Updated third party stuff too, they may not be totally compatible with SL and if it's a startup item, it will hang and hang and hang.

Cheers

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i thought snow leopard was the last of osx. and there is no way that they will turn the computer into the walled garden that the iphone is. i think this entire article is fake. and if its not, then the walled garden claim is definitely fake...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't doubt that Apple will go through with this, unless they read these forums, or otherwise see the wide unpopularity of this policy.

I am currently running Snow Leopard and will continue to do so in the hope that Apple backs down from this policy. If they don't I will switch to Linux.

Unless you have evidence, what right do you have to doubt someones word? I'd say it is about as much right as they have to doubt your word on no evidence.

Thanks

^uh huh. Yeah, sure. WHERE THE HECK IS HIS EVIDENCE. Hmmm? Apple has not done this and they will not do it. They are not stupid. They know that if they ever did this, they would lose everything that they have worked hard to make.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What the heck happened to "innocent until proven guilty" have justice, and honour been lost in the 20th century?

-

But if you want to toss Justice aside, then where the heck is the evidence that Apple will lose everything if they bring this policy into effect?

-

I grant that by bringing in this new policy Apple would lose a lot of customers. But by no means all.

I doubt this will affect a lot of artists, and others in the graphics department very much - if it affects them at all. It is just as hard - if not harder - for them to switch to another OS as it is for them to go out and buy some commercial software out there. I'm wlilling to gamble that Apple won't be cutting off much existing commercial software with this policy.

Also I think, the military will make some sort of deal with Apple. Very likely - in my mind - Apple will grant the military the right to use whatever software they want so long as it is only for professional use, and it does not leave the military.

Big companies using Macs may largely continue to do so. And as has been previously stated this new policy also brings better security to Macs from Viruses.

In my opinion you are mistaken to say that Apple would lose everything with this new policy. A lot, yes, but much will still remain.