+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X 10.7 Talk Sparks Controversy

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Have the guys at apple got the Windows bug?.. if they impliment this then the end of MAC is not faraway, success has gone to their heads. All heavy heads
    Thanks

Have the guys at apple got the Windows bug?.. if they impliment this then the end of MAC is not faraway, success has gone to their heads. All heavy heads get deflated one day or the other in history.
    I hope the day does not come when I am no longer proud to own a Mac.

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    Apple sheep will still flock to it.... and will claim that it's the best OS ever.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hopefully it's just a rumor.

Thanks

I would actually beleive this. Isnt the whole point of apple comps to avoid 3rd party software that might not work perfectly?

PC for life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well Apple is now realizing that there OS is now vulnerable for getting viruses. So to keep up the facade that macs do not get viruses. This is something they will have to do to keep it that way. So your new mac will come with software they want and thats it. Wow that sounds great! It will be just like a new iphone when you first turn it on. Boring!

Thanks

i dont think Apple would risk something that could harm their products so much. they are too clever.

Thanks

apple isn't stupid guys. they know that if they did this then they would be putting themselves out of business. I call shens on rixstep.

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you read this story and laughed it off as nonsense, well done.

For those of you threatening to never buy another Apple product, you yourself have overlooked why they wouldn't never implement such a system.

Who would buy 10.7 if this were the case? Nobody. We all use 3rd party apps in our everyday workflow, nobody would be willing to sacrifice that. It would be a waste of Apple's time and money, and I do not believe that they are this stupid.

What I do believe is that a reporter with an IQ smaller than his shoe size has thrown enormous speculation on top of fairly solid information. It has been speculated that Apple plan to introduce an "OS X App Store." I, for one, think that is a fantastic idea. This does not mean you won't be able to download a unsigned binary and run it without Apple's consent. I expect that apps sold on this "OS X App Store" WILL require a root certificate, however. So, you can carry on using all your current 3rd party apps, and developers can continue to distribute via their own websites, out of their own pockets.

OR

They can pay $99 for the benefit of Apple-sanctioned distribution, alongside (potential) access to a wider range of API's that will require Apple's approval.

Thanks

if apple did by chance do this, I will not be switching to windows. linux ftw! (after mac os x or course)

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Id be installing fedora on my macbook pro...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you Chrispy212. No way will this ever happen-Apple is simply working on an App Store FOR OSX, not that every single app will have to be signed. I can't believe some people are falling for this one. Rixstep is way out of line here..just trying to get publicity. I call a giant B/S on this one.

Livin the iPhone Life deathbybunnies6's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I'm not upgrading
    My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation

Banned
    Thanks

After the iPhone OS release, I always felt Apple would make future OSX versions fully closed systems like the iPhone OS, and I still believe that's where Apple will go. As for pushing app devs to an appstore type set up, I do find that harder to swallow. There could be anti trust issues there. We do have Bodega which is the closest thing to an appstore for Mac, (not a bad one either). To close off devs when they've had a free run, wouldn't win any friends and I don't think Apple would be so stupid to do that (but shareware apps might earn money in an appstore). Now, as for future devices....... this is a real possibility. If laptops were superseded by iPad type devices, maybe. If desktops disappeared and something else come to be, say a transparent touchscreen sitting on your desk, then perhaps yes. I think as newer devices replace older technology, then this is more likely, but not for the current hardware on OSX. This will only happen if there was a total hardware switch. IMHO.
    Last edited by Kroo; 04-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    ....Apple is simply working on an App Store FOR OSX, not that every single app will have to be signed. ...
    Don't be fooled. If this happens in any form, sooner or later it will be expanded to everything. Mark my words ladies and gentlemen. You just saw how quickly and easily Apple changed the iPhone developer license!! The writing's on the wall. Apple will piece meal this until we're hooked and fool us into believing it was good All the while, Apple is taking a bigger and bigger chunk of money from us (and away from the developers) and laughing all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-24-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    I can certainly see why Apple would want to go this way, as Mac's gain more and more market share they will become tasty targets for Malware and Virus writers.

Do we really WANT Mac OS to have to become the 12 patch a day drudgery that is Windows?

I don't.... and I think it would be a bold move on Apple's part to at least attempt to put a well working certificate system in place to help avoid it.

Anyway even if Apple does it and we hate it, everyone will just go back to running multiple OS's .....Mac or Unix for safety and security and other less secure OS's for fun

I mean really, ....if we did not have Apple pushing hard, everyone knows we would all be stuck with VISTA ..for who knows how long... there is NO WAY M$ would have pushed out Windows7 yet.

So I for one say go Apple, push it till it breaks or you make it great either way it's CHANGE and that for ME is much better than another 20 years of Windows nonsense.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to intangbl For This Useful Post:

CanadianSongEmperor (05-08-2010)

Thanks

If they go through with that, I shall be selling my Mac, that is complete bull....
    It's only impossible if you quit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@BLOWNCO I never said that i agree with Apple about extending its control to the Mac OSX. Personally in fact i don't care what they do with their products as long as it can still make my life more easier. I have specific needs that i found OSX is doing great job for me, if that is no longer available due to their constraints i'll ditch Apple without second thought.

Developers on the other side have all the reasons to get pissed off about it.

Their control over the iPhone OS is arguably justified due to the sensitivity of the mobile hardware architecture compared to the desktop architecture which is more mature, but i see no reason form Apple to extend the control into their desktop platform.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple doesn't care if this will supposedly "ruin" them because they know it won't. Apple realizes that they can shaft their customers in any way they want and they will still come back to buy more overpriced junk.

Thanks
    This is rather sad if it is true. I have all kinds of applications that i get from all over the net. So for them to control which applications I can use is a serious party foul.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    If this happens which I doubt, I'll be moving back to Windows.
    Back to Windows? I've never even been Windows, and even I would be running to them faster than a fat kid on cake.

Quote Originally Posted by TranceField View Post
    Apple sheep will still flock to it.... and will claim that it's the best OS ever.....
    I think you're wrong. However, I don't think this is likely.