+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Tears Down New MacBook Pro

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The team at iFixIt , led by Kyle Wiens, has endeavored to tear down the new MacBook Pro. And based on the findings, there aren't many gratuitous changes to the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iFixit Tears Down New MacBook Pro

The team at iFixIt, led by Kyle Wiens, has endeavored to tear down the new MacBook Pro. And based on the findings, there aren't many gratuitous changes to the popular laptop. But there are what Wiens calls more than just a few "subtle" tweaks. And iFixIt is dishing on what those very tweaks are.

According to the teardown team, the new MacBook Pro's biggest change, naturally, comes from the processor upgrade. Other less monumental alterations from the 2009 model include a peculiar antenna affixed to the optical drive frame. This was obviously done in response to the WiFi/Bluetooth board now being mounted inside the metal case. Overall, as observed by the team, it will be interesting to see how this ultimately effects the wireless performance of the device.

Next we have new tri-wing screws that swoop in to replace the old Torx 5 that, until now, were a staple of the MacBook. Speaking of screws, however, Apple must think we have a screw loose to think that the new computer's battery (now rated at 77.5 Wh) will actually provide the big boost (1-2 hours) in battery life promised over the previous 73 Wh battery in 2009's 15" model.

While nothing overtly shocking or groundbreaking was discovered in the new MacBook Pro, nothing shocking or groundbreaking was expected. Some, in fact, are saying that the most "interesting find" within the new computer is Apple's effort to facilitate a smoother transition between the Intel and NVIDIA graphics, as evidenced by the use of Intel's HM55 Express Chipset.

At the end of the day, however, the new MacBook Pro is a wicked cool device - but nothing that reinvents the wheel by any stretch of the imagination. To read all of iFixIt's findings, check out their tear-down results here.

Image via iFixIt

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

sweet...

first..

Thanks

Default second
    second

Thanks

Anyone know if the processor can be upgraded? Do to time restraints on their exchange policy I got the 17 inch with the i5 and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it at some point to the i7. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but upgrading laptop processors is something completely new to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Anyone know if the processor can be upgraded? Do to time restraints on their exchange policy I got the 17 inch with the i5 and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it at some point to the i7. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but upgrading laptop processors is something completely new to me.
    You can upgrade the CPU, but you need to make sure the new CPU is compatible with your motherboard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    You can upgrade the CPU, but you need to make sure the new CPU is compatible with your motherboard.
    You don't happen to know if the i5 and the i7 run off the same motherboard to you? I have the new 17inch MacBook Pro. It's about 3 days old. Or do you know where I'd be able to check something like that out? Thanks for the help.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

very nice,i want one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    You don't happen to know if the i5 and the i7 run off the same motherboard to you? I have the new 17inch MacBook Pro. It's about 3 days old. Or do you know where I'd be able to check something like that out? Thanks for the help.
    i think you are jumping ahead of yourself there, you've better find out some more details before you even go opening the laptop out or knowing exactly what to do else your 3 day old apple might just become a dead duck.

you probably want to read up on the difference between i5 and i7 and what socket they use and go find out what motherboard it is and go find out if it supports i5 and i7 at all by the least. plus what are you going to achieve in changing it to an i7 in the first place.

hope it goes well.

as to macbook pro. thats not much of an upgrade at all from apple is it. wonder how much price difference it is for the time spent on the "upgrade"

Thanks

Agh! These improvements forces me to upgrade to a newer MBP!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

man give it to me
    Keithsta

Thanks

wonder if they put it back together and sell it on ebay when theyre done with it
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    sweet...

first..
    these are quite possibly the most childish and pathetic comments ever, who gives a flying donkey if youre first, do you win a prize? NO. Was your post even relevant? NO.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandonii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybanks14 View Post
    these are quite possibly the most childish and pathetic comments ever, who gives a flying donkey if youre first, do you win a prize? NO. Was your post even relevant? NO.
    was your post relevant? No.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Apple must think we have a screw loose to think that the new computer's battery (now rated at 77.5 Wh) will actually provide the big boost (1-2 hours) in battery life promised over the previous 73 Wh battery in 2009's 15" model."

Umm, intel's arrandale processors are more efficient than the outgoing core 2 duo offerings. Features such as individual throttling of cores helps.
    (Damn, composing a msg on an iphone with a bandaided thumb is hard, lol)