+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No "End-Around" For You: iPhone 4.0 SDK Bans Flash Runtimes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default No "End-Around" For You: iPhone 4.0 SDK Bans Flash Runtimes

Apple's new developer license agreement bans any cross-compilation of iPhone and iPad apps developed for other platforms, including Flash runtimes that had been referred to an "end-around" to Apple's blanket prohibition of Flash on the iPhone OS. The ban also extends to other non-Apple frameworks like Java and Silverlight. While it could be Apple's traditional not-invented-here attitude, the move also reflects the need to evaluate how code works with the new iPhone 4.0 multitasking API's.

Apple changed the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement to restrict the use of cross-platform compilers in developing apps. Section 3.3.3 of the agreement, which devs have to accept before they can download the iPhone 4.0 SDK, states that apps "must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited)."

The change seems to be primarily targeted at Adobe, which has been trying to get Flash content onto the iPhone for years. Steve Jobs, however, dismisses Flash as "too slow to be useful" and a "CPU hog." Adobe had announced that Flash Professional CS5 would have a tool called Packager for iPhone OS, which turns Flash content into stand-alone iPhone apps. Van Baker, an analyst from the Gartner Group, referred to Packager as an Adobe "end around" to Apple's Flash prohibition. An Adobe spokeswoman with the impressive name of Wiebke Lips said that the company is "aware of the new SDK language and are looking into it," adding that they will "continue to develop our Packager for iPhone OS technology, which we plan to debut in Flash CS5." Adobe will officially launch Creative Suite 5 - including Flash Professional CS5 - on Monday.

Not just Flash is prohibited, however: the language specifically insists on "Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine." The reason for this, according to "sources familiar with Apple's plans" told AppleInsider, is because the system will be doing runtime evaluations of apps to manage resources for what is being called "smart multitasking." According to their source, unless code is using a structure the operating system can understand, it "can't swap out resources, it can't pause some threads while allowing others to run, it can't selectively notify, etc."

At the announcement yesterday, Steve Jobs made the case that the reason multitasking had been held up on the iPhone OS platform was due to the load it put on the system. If the whole edifice rests on a delicate operating system balancing act, then it makes sense that only code that has a predictable structure will work with the multitasking APIs.

On the other hand, though… Steve Jobs really hates Flash.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-09-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: title unclear

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-09-2010)

Thanks

interesting to observe flash's inability to get itself on the most significant portable platform in the last 10 years + and not even have a hope to. it's not a technical issue. Apple just plan doesn't want their products on their hardware.

insane.

I wonder what would happen if Adobe pulls the trump card and pulls support for Creative Studio 5 and future versions from the OSX platform, effectively crippling one of the primary professional uses for the OS?

who would win in that stand-off? I'd guess Adobe unless Apple is willing to let MacOS burn without the defacto standard for creative content creation.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (04-09-2010), k.nitsua (04-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's fine....don't need it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

lol @ picture
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone sLevin1fo's Avatar
    F**K YOU, IM FROM TEXAS (So Original, HUH?)
    Thanks

Default One Day....
    All Apple users will use Steve Jobs name in vain, after all these commandments we all have to live by. Why do I keep following this brand?
    8GB 2G 1.0.2v 3.14.08_G AT&T RIP
    16GB 3G 2.0.2v 2.02.01 AT&T RIP
    8GB 3G 3.0 04.26.08 AT&T RIP
    16GB 3GS 3.0.1 04.26.08 AT&T RIP
    16GB 3GS 3.1.3 5.12.01 AT&T RIP
    16GB iPhone4 3.10.01 4.2.1 Fancy iPod

Thanks

Ahh what?#%€£¥????

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

just work with adobe and give us the option to turn it off its that simple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am just hoping Android kicks Apple's ***** and takes over the market. I am sick of all of apple's restrictions, if there were no jailbreak, I'd have a droid right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJones_86 View Post
    I am just hoping Android kicks Apple's ***** and takes over the market. I am sick of all of apple's restrictions, if there were no jailbreak, I'd have a droid right now.
    many of us feel the same way.

I just hope Adobe can tighten Flash up. You never know...Apple could have a change of heart if Flash becomes less resource-intensive.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJones_86 View Post
    Lol! What are you doing on an Apple forum then....? Too much time on your hands, or do just want to complain and bash cause you have nothing better to do?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You guys really win with the pictures.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Lol! What are you doing on an Apple forum then....? Too much time on your hands, or do just want to complain and bash cause you have nothing better to do?
    This isn't an Apple forum! It's the Mod My iPhone forum. He is right too. Most people are getting sick an tired of Apple and all of their rules and restrictions. Their a company full of control freaks now! It's sad, because they make great products.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Go Gators For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (04-09-2010), reanimationxp (04-11-2010), Taniban (04-10-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    This isn't an Apple forum! It's the Mod My iPhone forum. He is right too. Most people are getting sick an tired of Apple and all of their rules and restrictions. Their a company full of control freaks now! It's sad, because they make great products.
    This forums is about all things Apple, not just the phone.

Apple makes the phone and has rights over what they want to run on it, natively. If flash wasn't such a b*tch to run on OSX architecture, and was coded properly, and wasn't such a security risk (has open ports in backend which can allow hacked code to be executed within the app framework, to install malware, keystroke recorders and other exploits on your device without your knowledge. Want that? Not me!!) then we wouldn't hear all this over and over. (Google Adobe flash security risks)

Those who don't like that, well, there is plenty of choice out there, find what you want, buy it, and don't come here to b*tch about something we've known about for years. If people think this is wrong, and if it's a really big deal in the IT world, then Apple will suffer (but they won't) and you can all feel happy knowing Apple got what it deserved.

I'm over whinny brats who can't get over flash not being on the phone, and bombarding these forums with their "but I want it now" like comments. Here's a scoop for ya. Flash will not be on the phone. Ever!! Get over it!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    This is a forum for the jailbreak community. I'll be damned if I'm going to be any part of an Apple community. They can take their berets and lattes and Macbooks and stuff 'em into their elitist holes.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Bodman456 (04-14-2010), reanimationxp (04-11-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This is a forum for the jailbreak community. I'll be damned if I'm going to be any part of an Apple community. They can take their berets and lattes and Macbooks and stuff 'em into their elitist holes.
    Headline banner on this page reads "Welcome to ModMyi.com - your premier Apple & iPhone community."

Welcome to the Apple community, dude!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kroo For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (04-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    Headline banner on this page reads "Welcome to ModMyi.com - your premier Apple & iPhone community."

Welcome to the Apple community, dude!!!
    Well then I think you know what to do with your Macbook...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Honestly, I'm with Adobe and I have been from the start, and here's why.

Flash...is meant FOR COMPUTERS. My nexus may have flash (Custom roms are fun ^.^) but it's nothing like computer flash. Why on earth should Adobe make a flash player for every effing device that comes on the market? They'd never sleep and it isn't their job to help Apple with the iTampon. However, god forbid Father Jobs work with anyone on his device.
    I'm not flaming either. How long did it take for us to get wallpapers here? >.< Honestly, I am only going to keep going with iTouches for music storage and apps. Once the android app market improves goodbye iTouch. I'll get a Classic and be done with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    This forums is about all things Apple, not just the phone.

Apple makes the phone and has rights over what they want to run on it, natively. If flash wasn't such a b*tch to run on OSX architecture, and was coded properly, and wasn't such a security risk (has open ports in backend which can allow hacked code to be executed within the app framework, to install malware, keystroke recorders and other exploits on your device without your knowledge. Want that? Not me!!) then we wouldn't hear all this over and over. (Google Adobe flash security risks)

Those who don't like that, well, there is plenty of choice out there, find what you want, buy it, and don't come here to b*tch about something we've known about for years. If people think this is wrong, and if it's a really big deal in the IT world, then Apple will suffer (but they won't) and you can all feel happy knowing Apple got what it deserved.

I'm over whinny brats who can't get over flash not being on the phone, and bombarding these forums with their "but I want it now" like comments. Here's a scoop for ya. Flash will not be on the phone. Ever!! Get over it!!!
    You right Broo....aah I mean Kroo.......

Banned
    Thanks

"Well then I think you know what to do with your Macbook... "

You have a facination with sticking things somewhere? You ok dude? Therapy might help.

@ mudrock1000

it's about choice. You have a choice. Hope you get your android soon so we don't have to keep hearing the same old sooky song. "I want ... Wa wa wa". Talk to the hand.
    Last edited by Kroo; 04-09-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Way to go SJ.... bury the money grabbers from Adobe.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast