Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac vs. PC Ads May Be History

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Mac vs. PC Ads May Be History

TV commercials may be losing one of their most popular representatives.

It seems Apple may be ready to move beyond the beloved (by Apple fans at least) Mac vs. PC advertisements. Apple hasn't given any indication as such, but one of the ad's most recognizable faces - Justin Long - says the campaign may have just about run its course. Long opened up this week to the entertainment newspaper The A. V. Club about the situation. And although we haven't heard the official word that "Mac vs. PC" ads are dead, we should also consider the fact that no new ads from that particular campaign have aired since October.

"You know, I think they might be done," said Long. "In fact, I heard from John Hodgman, I think they're going to move on."

During the last four years, Apple's "Mac vs. PC" segments have proven enormously successful. It took Microsoft three years to find an effective commercial retort to the biting ads. The company's "Laptop Hunters" campaign, which began a year ago, has taken some of the sting out of Apple's incessant jabs. But, Justin Long (the Mac) and John Hodgman (the PC) have secured a much more prominent role in pop culture than any advertising endeavor from Microsoft has.

Having been responsible for one of only a few TV commercials that viewers actually looked forward to, Apple has given few clues to any new, running commercial themes or characters that could pick up where Long and Hodgman left off. But with the iPad just unveiled and a new iPhone on tap for summer, it's a safe bet that Apple will pull out all the advertising stops necessary to make 2010 a memorable year in every way possible.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-09-2010)

well yea. kinda doesn't hold very true anymore with Windows 7 on the block.

plus, the commercials with the little Asian girl took a dump on all the "I'm a Mac" commercials all by themselves.

"I'm a PC and I'm 4 and a half."
    -One of the greatest tech commercials in history.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

These were all funny. I really will miss them

The Windows 7 with the little asian girl was funny too.

"Pretty words deserve pretty pictures"

....Noooooo
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    well yea. kinda doesn't hold very true anymore with Windows 7 on the block.

plus, the commercials with the little Asian girl took a dump on all the "I'm a Mac" commercials all by themselves.

"I'm a PC and I'm 4 and a half."
    -One of the greatest tech commercials in history.
    I have to agree with that being one of the best. I still think most all the "I'm a Mac" commercials were really good.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Frankly I can't be happier if this were true. These commercials have been filled with half-truths or downright lies from the get-go. Don't get me wrong, they were funny, but also often false advertisement.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

i hate how in the newer ones, they show all those people switching to mac, but they never say WHY?

they just say "oh yeah even though we won't tell you what's wrong with windows 7 you should switch anyways".

Since Windows 7 came out they had absolutely nothing they could jab at. Also, switching from XP isn't so incredibly hard that it warrants buying a $1200 computer over a ~$150 or so operating system. (much, much less with student discounts or OEM copies)

That said, I did find them entertaining, even if everything they said was wrong and outdated by the time the commercial was released.

These were the commercials that converted me! *sniff* I'm gonna miss them. I hope they give us something funnier. :-)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I work in advertising so I like to think I know a little bit about it. I think the Mac adverts were ok to start with, however they have just become a parody now. My personal favourite is the Mac vs PC vs Linux. I like the Windows 7 ads because I think they make people feel like they had something to do with its inception. Everybody has had the same feelings that the people in the adverts have so people can identify with them. Mac adverts basically say "I'm more expensive, and I don't crash or get viruses (even though they do) but I won't go in to detail about that, point is why would any hackers make a mac virus when Windows is at something like a 96% user rate, if you want maximum damage you go after the most popular. But anyway, back to advertising.

I just hate the whole "Holier than thou" that mac ads have "buy me because I'm better" doesn't really work as a slogan lol
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Windmeel View Post
    I have to agree with that being one of the best. I still think most all the "I'm a Mac" commercials were really good.
    they were funny initially, but became patronizing and haughty towards the end. condescending, even.

All those problems with PC's come from people who can't take care of their computers. Mac's are basically for people that can't take care of a computer. I'm not bias saying PC is better, but those were straight shots at PC which were uncalled for.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

All you have to do is look at Apple's numbers in the past couple years, that says it all More people are switching to Apple (even if it's a tiny percent compared to those who use Windows) these days.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    All you have to do is look at Apple's numbers in the past couple years, that says it all More people are switching to Apple (even if it's a tiny percent compared to those who use Windows) these days.
    contradicting yourself tends to weaken whatever point you were trying to make. although i can't for the love of god figure out what that is

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Very clever marketing, indeed. I'll be glad to see them gone though.

I loved the one where Apple was making fun of Microsoft for advertising, you know, in an advertisement.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjo629JpTyE]Bean Counter[/ame]

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i liked those ads...

Thanks
    Windows sucks!!!

the "windows 7 was my idea" ads are a classic failure. yeah think about it. i had a generalized idea of a system that has thousands of files and "they" [who knows who or what "they are"] knew exactly what i was generally thinking. and BAM!! windows 7 [stupid] at least macs vs. pc commercials were clever and made sense. still no comparison.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple doesn't even need commercials for them to sell there products

ya i will miss those ads....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast