+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cloud-Based iTunes in July?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
When Apple bought streaming music startup Lala last year, there was immediate speculation that Apple was looking to combine its online store+music library software into an iTunes streaming service, which
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cloud-Based iTunes in July?

When Apple bought streaming music startup Lala last year, there was immediate speculation that Apple was looking to combine its online store+music library software into an iTunes streaming service, which would store users' own songs in the cloud and allow them to be streamed over the Internet to their devices. No confirmation of that conjecture has ever been received, but there was an intriguing hint in CNet earlier this week that indicates music industry executives have been told to expect streaming music service in the second half of this year.

Some industry observers had been looking towards iTunes in the cloud to be released with the iPad, and along with the absence of any deal on TV and movie content for the new device, this is disappointing news for people who had been hoping for a "revolutionary" new way of getting entertainment for the "revolutionary" new device. Apple seems to be hard at work on closing those deals, but has only gotten book publishers and some newspapers and magazines so far. Recent hiring at Apple's super-sized new server farm in the US Southeast, however, has lent credence to the rumors that the company is poised for something big in online services.

CNet's Greg Sandoval noted on Wednesday that Apple has been courting music bigwigs since the beginning of the year. The same month they unveiled the iPad, Sandoval wrote, "Apple executives spoke to the major record labels about enabling people to store their music on the company's servers and access their songs with Web-enabled devices. At that point, music-industry insiders speculated that Apple's new service might debut early this year."

Since acquiring Lala last year, Apple has allowed the service to continue operating but has discontinued the MusicMover software which allows syncing of a user's personal library to Lala's servers. Apple has also implemented iTunes Preview, which allows users to search the Music and App Stores without launching the desktop application.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-02-2010 at 01:08 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

What's the point of this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

seems like a good idea, but they will probably mess it up like they did when mobile me was released...

Thanks

due to some, influences, i think i'll stick with the good 'old hard drive, ya'know?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't trust anybody with my music library i like to control my files myself and store then myself on my little external hdd i have 3 backup of everything just in case anything ever go wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkDragonAn For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (04-03-2010)

Thanks

unless my hard drive is under 50GB (it's 300) i will stick with my normal library
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Its nice to have this feature, but I will NEVER ditch my HD
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

ADZ
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

great. so the company who cant even successfully bring me 'iDisk' is gonna serve up my tunes. how about we concentrate on some consistent reliability with ur existing service. now that would be nice.

I luv ya  but imma sit this one out if you don't mind.

Green Apple
    Thanks

im wondering if it has anything to do with all of our songs we download for free instead of buying them on itunes.

Thanks

ummm, i just use the orb live app to stream my music library right from my computer, so theres really no point in using an online server to "store" my music so I can stream it. besides, they gonna let me store all 650+ gb of music I have.....I didn't think so, at least not without a hefty price tag. I'll stick to my HDD!!!

Thanks

they can monitor where my music came from this way. i'd like my privacy, thank you very much.

since privacy isn't a constitutional right, it's a personal responsibility to take care of yo own shazz

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tried Psonar?
    Psonar is another worth checking out.

It's a free cloud-based solution which is focused on allowing users to do more with music that they own, unlike streaming services where you effectively 'rent' the music as long as you continue to subscribe (and hope that the music doesn't get pulled by the copyright owner.)

With Psonar you can upload the music you own to the cloud, so it's accessible everywhere, from any internet-connected device.

You can also search and listen to 30 second clips of any other track uploaded to the cloud and buy that music if you like.

Psonar also provides web-based iTunes-style management so that you can drag and drop tracks to any device that you can connect to a PC via USB. This enables you can have your music on your device when that's best, but also in the cloud. This means it is great for backup: laptop dead music safe! Psonar Blog

So - it's perfect if you love your old MP3 player, want to keep your music on an inexpensive memory stick or for when you don't have an internet connection and thus offers you the best of both worlds.

Finally, by utilising the cloud, Psonar can do what the cloud is great for - discovery and social.