Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Owners Must Pay for OS Updates, May Not Get All Features

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad Owners Must Pay for OS Updates, May Not Get All Features

People who buy the new iPad with version 3.2 of the iPhone OS are entitled to one free update when version 4 comes out, according to the licensing agreement that was released last night. This positions the new device - at least in terms of software licensing - as somewhere between an iPod and an iPhone, rather than between an iPhone and a MacBook, as Apple has said.

Apple officially released the iPhone SDK 3.2 gold master for developers to download last night. The final version fixed some minor bugs and completed iPad support, and included the licensing agreement. MacRumors waded through the standard terms and conditions to discover the limitation of one free major iPad software update before you have to pay. According to the agreement, "Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped…on your iPad, for free. If your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software…up to and including iPad 4.x.” However, the agreement also stipulates that "such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models".

iPod touch owners are used to paying for OS updates, but those updates have been full versions, including all the features supported by their hardware. If future releases of the iPhone OS are feature-limited to newer models, though, how happy are owners of older iPads going to be to pay for the updates?

that sucks...espically when the ipad is so pricy..you would think they would hook us up like the iphone....

Well if you can afford an iPad you can afford the updates, I'm sure is apple's way of thinking.

Thanks

Another reason for me to NOT get the oversized Ipod Touch.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

BoneCrif (04-08-2010), Caleb_Soccer_Star (03-30-2010), dsg (03-30-2010), moon#pie (03-30-2010), PlatoTheForms (03-30-2010), SquareWheel (03-31-2010), Success.Is.Sweet (03-30-2010), TooSlo (03-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

why not? why should you get it for free? im mean it's a OS... You had to pay from panther to tiger to leopard and to snow leopard and no one complained.... It's just a OS for a phone and not a computer but other than that its the same thing
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to madczech For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-30-2010)

Thanks

Perfectly acceptable.
    Maybe they should make it that the iPads with 3G and are on contract don't have to pay.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

free updates to developers yay
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Well if you can afford an iPad you can afford the updates, I'm sure is apple's way of thinking.
    Perfectly said

11. The Following User Says Thank You to goodgod2 For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (03-30-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    why not? why should you get it for free? im mean it's a OS... You had to pay from panther to tiger to leopard and to snow leopard and no one complained.... It's just a OS for a phone and not a computer but other than that its the same thing
    I'm on the iPhone buddy. No reason to pay for those updates. Why should it be any different on similar devices with bigger screens? Just more money for the maker I guess
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

"wise man learns by the experience of others; a fool, by his own"

Apple is tellin you to break bank, spend more money on them than you normally would.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 03-30-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Typically OS updates are in the neighborhood of $9.99 and "major" updates only come out once a year. This is not too much to ask. If you don't want to pay.. then you have the option not to update so don't complain

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

iPhone3G[S] (03-31-2010), NozzyEz (03-30-2010), thetoothfairy (03-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

bad idea
    that will retreat a lot of ppl from getting an ipad

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ro0oney For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (03-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember having to pay for the os upgrade for the iPod Touch, but got it free for my Iphone. Had to pay for Windows 7 too. Life a Beeeich Guess they have to pay for all those over priced programmers
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 03-30-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Because I can

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CMOSlabs For This Useful Post:

NozzyEz (03-30-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    I'm on the iPhone buddy. No reason to pay for those updates. Why should it be any different on similar devices with bigger screens? Just more money for the maker I guess
    It has been that way from the beginning. iPod Touch owners have always had to pay for updates, unless they were considered "small" updates. While I disagree with this method personally, I agree that if they DID NOT do this, the iPod Touch owners would technically be the ones getting screwed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It has been that way from the beginning. iPod Touch owners have always had to pay for updates, unless they were considered "small" updates. While I disagree with this method personally, I agree that if they DID NOT do this, the iPod Touch owners would technically be the ones getting screwed.
    technically you just wanna get screwed too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

well this sucks.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ro0oney View Post
    bad idea
    that will retreat a lot of ppl from getting an ipad
    This reasoning has not deterred anyone from buying an iPod Touch so it won't on an iPad either. I bought a Mac even though Snow Leopard wasn't a free upgrade. I bought a PC even though Windows 7 wasn't a free upgrade. People are used to these free firmware updates on mobile phones and just feel they are entitled now. Getting major software updates for free is backwards and if the status quo were having been charing customers for them since day 1 then no one would be seeing this as a negative.

or just wait for someone to get a copy crack it and provide it to the world for free!!! Don't remember paying for any OS since Win 98... Thank the Gods for Torrents

Just another tactic from APPLE to suck all the groupies dry
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Another reason for when the ipad gets jailbroken. Who would want to pay to break their jailbreak. Lol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast