+ Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Owners Must Pay for OS Updates, May Not Get All Features

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Man I just can't decide if getting an ipad would be worth it or not since I have a perfectly good iPhone and a nice laptop... I will have to
    Thanks

Man I just can't decide if getting an ipad would be worth it or not since I have a perfectly good iPhone and a nice laptop... I will have to play with my friends ipad to see if I need one. If not I'm going to save for a mbp but If I do like it then I will be stuck with windows for a while longer decisions decisions

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

ridiculous, but also very reasonable wonder if we can still get these updates free somehow just like the ipod could right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

$10 is chump change but it's the principle of the thing. If I owned an iPad I wouldn't want to be paying for features that should have been there in the first place like we did with firmware versions 2.0 and 3.0 (MMS, copy and paste etc.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default wowzors
    this will only make people want to jailbreak ipad even more, apple fails big time, paying for an update, why dont they have a entrnace to apple store

Thanks

All the updates on osx are free and windows for that matter you really wanna make people pay for you to keep their devices working the way they should? Sad day I won't be buying an ipad I'll stick with my 3gs

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So if they release an update that has bugs I should pay to have those bugs fixed in the next update? What about if it really screws up your iPad and they have to release an update to fix bricked iPads? I wouldn't put it past them to do that either, after all Apples MO is to nickle and dime customers to death. You guys really do love just handing over money. Jesus.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is everyone forgetting that when a paid update comes out, some will buy it and post a FREE download on MMi or rapidshare or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ If they do post it, they will be banned for doing so

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

As for paying for the updates... it would have been nice to know this before anyone bought it? I did not see it myself and if I did then I could have either bought it or not because of it.

Now if the iPad came out like the 3G iphone and then they charged for the second update etc.... I would not be happy as we all know the problems that came with it when it was released.

I am not going to get into this heavy but there is ***** that came on many computers a while ago and from my understandings many people felt they got robbed also....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post
    Vathgol, I find your post ironic considering your signature...respect other members indeed. The macbook is 999, but you had to pay $29 to get to Snow Leopard. Work costs money..if you can't afford it, stay with the previous version until you can.
    He's a confessed thief. He won't pay for anything no matter what the content is, justified price or not. He's a thief and is too immature to realize what he's saying or too stupid or both. Give it up, he's not going to be swayed when he can steal things and will only learn when he gets stolen from.

I don't think SL was worth $29 after all the problems I've had with it and I don't think they should charge for updates for any mobile platform. MMS and copy and paste should have been included from day one and they could have charged for the update for both platforms. Bug fixes and things like that should be free, if a major OS overhaul is there then they can pay for it, but the crap they are going to charge for updates for on the iPad are almost guaranteed to be possible on the day one release. Apple is a nickle and dimer, always have been always will be.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caleb9707 View Post
    Is everyone forgetting that when a paid update comes out, some will buy it and post a FREE download on MMi or rapidshare or something?
    We do not allow warez or pirating on MMI so I don't think anyone will post it here as they could be banned for doing so.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm quite curious as to what the process will be for reloading a maxipad. Currently, Apple forces a check against the Apple DB to see if you can actually load the FW.

Assuming this is the case, I wonder what type of problems they could run into if they "forced" people to buy new versions of the software even if they didn't want one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    $10 is chump change but it's the principle of the thing.
    Exactly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    He's a confessed thief. He won't pay for anything no matter what the content is, justified price or not. He's a thief and is too immature to realize what he's saying or too stupid or both. Give it up, he's not going to be swayed when he can steal things and will only learn when he gets stolen from.
    I agree with KartRacer on something

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Hmmmm just as an odd thing. With say Android phones you basically have to buy a new phone to get the updated Android. The phone makers for them don't update them after release. A select few do, like Motorola finally did.

Start collecting the coins that friend's drop in the couch now and that way your friend's are actually paying for the possible 10$ update of 5.0 next year.

Thanks

Updates are to correct mistakes or position your device to make money off new software for itunes products. Thats just life. I will buy the ipad when price comes down maybe $200-250 for the 16gb model but I will not buy it at no $550 with tax no way buddy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Hmmmm just as an odd thing. With say Android phones you basically have to buy a new phone to get the updated Android. The phone makers for them don't update them after release. A select few do, like Motorola finally did.

Start collecting the coins that friend's drop in the couch now and that way your friend's are actually paying for the possible 10$ update of 5.0 next year.
    Actually it's the carriers that decide who gets what update and when. Google has no control over that and they are trying to streamline the process and feature set with the next update. The carriers are the ones holding the updates back, blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I agree with KartRacer on something
    Holy crap! The world is going to end now!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Updates are to correct mistakes or position your device to make money off new software for itunes products. Thats just life.
    I agree that's life, but it's a real bitc h when Apple tries to lie about MMS not supported on the 1st iPhone or that copy and paste wasn't included for reasons unknown or why a simple software update would make bluetooth not a joke on the iPhone. It's just plain greed, and being a ****. None of those things abouve require anything other than Apple being good to their customers and enabling things that do work with software rather than bold face lying and not giving us what we paid for.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 03-30-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't worry, you still can download from somewhere for free, after that press shift and left click on itunes....and you are done update it....

Thanks

^ yes there are ways to steal it