+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will Apple's "iAd" Lock iPhones Unless You Watch Ads?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I can see apple, if they release the new iphone with a frontal camera viewing your face to make sure ur watching and paying attention. I can see them programing
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can see apple, if they release the new iphone with a frontal camera viewing your face to make sure ur watching and paying attention. I can see them programing facial expressions into the system which would be able to recognize if your eyes are on the screen or any other type of way to see if ur not just blowing the ad away

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Majority of Apple patents don't come to fruition. They are most likely doing this in case this becomes a norm people would accept.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Wow that's messed up, guess I'll switch back to my pager.

Thanks

the viability of this "ad invade" and imminent. take a look at the free version of words for friends from the app store. after a tile placement and score, one cannot proceed back to the game until the "skip" button is pressed. the ads are purportedly removed with purchase of the game.

oops. is imminent...
    Last edited by mactwisted; 03-28-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Next phone maybe comes with new system that takes entire control of updating and restoring device to apple and now this?

"THIS IS HORSE ****" by Stewie Griffin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 850 Posts

I'm sure they would only use this for free content, or to make the iPad available for free as long as you watch ads.

I highly doubt a paying customer will be forced to buy ads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that will never happen.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I just thought I would point something out that nobody seems to have thought of. We are all assuming these will be "crushed by jailbreaking". Has anyone thought that since it uses data (presumably to push new ads to your phone) that they can easily lock your phone if they see that you are not receiving and responding to said data? Not saying this would be the goal, but it could be easily implemented that if you have a phone with ads and the ads are blocked by a third party they lock down all calls (minus emergency by law) and data on your phone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Agreed if Apples pulls this tunt, I am outta Apple products completely. Not just the phone but ALL products, because they wouldn't derserve my business anymore. And I hope Big Brother is reading all these posts.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I just thought I would point something out that nobody seems to have thought of. We are all assuming these will be "crushed by jailbreaking". Has anyone thought that since it uses data (presumably to push new ads to your phone) that they can easily lock your phone if they see that you are not receiving and responding to said data? Not saying this would be the goal, but it could be easily implemented that if you have a phone with ads and the ads are blocked by a third party they lock down all calls (minus emergency by law) and data on your phone.

The whole point of jailbreaking is that it unlocks your phone from Apple/AT&T's network/data connection; I don't see how this is any different to using your phone for tethering - AT&T (thus Apple) can't do anything about it if you're not on their network.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    there will have to be a "emergency call" button, just like there is now, that being said...
    The scenario presented was what if a "family member" called for an emergency, an emergency button would do no good in that case as that only allows 911 calls.

Aslo, if Apple implements this iAd thing, either my phones and service need to be free, or I will be giving my future monies to another company.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    I really hope they aren't stupid enough to make your phone ad supported when you pay $200+ for it.

Law suit waiting to happen.
    I could see them selling some products for a drastically reduced price with this type of ad software to make up the difference. But I really don't think they are dumb enough to put something as drastic as described above on devices we are paying so much for!!
    iPhone 3g 8GB; iPhone 3GS 32GB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    I really hope they aren't stupid enough to make your phone ad supported when you pay $200+ for it.

Law suit waiting to happen.
    Yup. No one can deny that Steve Jobs has done some great things for Apple, but if this happens then he is becoming a moron. I would have to say that long-term this would be an awful financial decision for Apple. People who don't want to jailbreak wouldn't be able to do anything about it, except either sue or bring their business elsewhere, and the way Android is exploding Apple should want to do anything they can to keep customers eyes away from Google's platform.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank goodness for jailbreak <3

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

This will probably be a user option to get the phone at a cheaper cost than a non-iAdd version. If so, this would actually be a good thing for us jailbreakers who can work around it and consequently get a cheaper phone than everyone else with all the same functions.

However, if we think Apple is reacting harshly to jailbreakers now, just wait until a system like this is in place. That would be much more on the legal/illegal fence than things are now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Perhaps it is time to revive my old pic of Orwell's BB....

Thanks

Hahaha ads for jailbreaking anyone?

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 798 Posts

It won't earn Appl£ or Steve anything if everybody opts out

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I jailbreak my IPHONE of course, but this app would be a breaking point for me, i will take the phone and shove it up the ATT employess bum. I pay $160ish a month for 2 iphones and paid about 300 a piece, u force me to watch ads to use it and i will make my disconetnt heard and felt. I can see it now, someone dies of a heart attack because their phone would not call 911 because they did not watch a add telling them to eat more crap from Mcdonalds. Let the lawsuits begin.

Thanks

Chill people, jeez. This would be an option for a cheaper/free device. Apple has been fudging around in this area for a long time. This is nothing new. It won't be implemented on $1000 laptops or $300 iPhones. You will only be paying like, $50 or free for an iPhone if this was used.