+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Plants a Kindle Stake In The iPad?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Everyone wants a piece of the iPad, including the tablet's e-reader competitors like Amazon's Kindle. Today, Amazon rolled out a free software package just for Mac users that will provide
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Amazon Plants a Kindle Stake In The iPad?

Everyone wants a piece of the iPad, including the tablet's e-reader competitors like Amazon's Kindle.

Today, Amazon rolled out a free software package just for Mac users that will provide a portal to the online retail giant's e-book store. As a result, Kindle books are now accessible from pretty much anywhere... Blackberry, iPhone, PC, and, as of today's announcement, even a Mac. Most excitingly, however, is that Amazon's e-reader software will ultimately be compatible with the iPad.

That's right... Kindle is staking its claim in the iPad. Dubbed "Kindle for Mac," Amazon is promoting the software as a "perfect companion application" for people who own Kindles and even those who don't. Kindle for Mac will still provide access to Kindle's e-book store. The software will deliver access to a half million e-books in more than one hundred countries.

Despite earlier rumblings about the prospect of Amazon introducing such a software package, it now appears that the Kindle's big Mac arrival signals more than just an attempt by Amazon to capitalize on yet another platform to promote the Kindle. Instead, it seems that Amazon is going to firmly hunker down on iPad territory and strive to ramp up sales of new releases and old favorites from Kindle's e-book inventory.

Although updates and improvements have already been alluded to, for now, Kindle for Mac serves up the familiar Whispersync technology so that, for example, Mac users can save and synchronize bookmarks across the various devices used to access their digital content. In other words, if you opt to buy a Kindle half way through reading an e-book on your iPad, you'll never forget where you left off. It's that exact convenience that Amazon will endeavor to make patently obvious in the coming weeks and months.

Image via Amazon

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

It appears that when ever Apple comes out with something new everyone wants a piece of it...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

"big Mac"

I saw what you did there!! Funny man

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazon's smart, they know when something is going to be big and get in on it regardless of the product. It's definitely a money making move for them.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 699 Posts

All I see Amazon doing is protecting their interests, like Appl£ would do if they were in the same boat Amazon is in now

Thanks

Well Amazon wants people to visit their site and buy Kindle ebooks. That is where the money is and as time goes on Amazon will do everything to promote their site. They are not hardware-centric like Apple. Amazon isn't making much off Kindle hardware. They are in it to sell ebooks and get eyes on their web storefront. That is what this is all about.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    It appears that when ever Apple comes out with something new everyone wants a piece of it...
    Ya, Apple has always been in the eBook market and Amazon is just starting that... oh wait.... not long ago Apple said that books were dead, and Amazon created the Kindle and was really the leader in eBooks. Who's following who here????

Amazon's smart, and if it wasn't for a Kindle app on the iPad, I probably wouldn't get one (got too many books in my Kindle library, and like how I can register five devices to read the books at the same time).

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I have already sold my Kindle DX, and pre-ordered my iPad. My decision came down to the fact that the iPad can do everything the Kindle DX can do - and then, add web browsing, email reading, calendar, all my iPhone apps, use my SlingBox through the SlingPlayer. It was a no-brain solution. My only concern was the investment I have in Kindle books, and with the iPhone/iPad Kindle app, that isn't a real problem. I would like to convert the Kindle books I have to be able to read them in the native iPad book reader, but at least I can still access them easily on the iPad, and now on my Mac as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I have already sold my Kindle DX, and pre-ordered my iPad.
    well that seems like something that could end in disappointment. do you already have an ipod touch? just hold it closer to your face.

BOOM!

Thanks

Wonder if Apple is going to deny the app after iPad's launch citing that it directly conflicts with Apple's own iBook store?
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkeagle1 View Post
    Wonder if Apple is going to deny the app after iPad's launch citing that it directly conflicts with Apple's own iBook store?
    they'll say it "duplicates functionality"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    well that seems like something that could end in disappointment. do you already have an ipod touch? just hold it closer to your face.

BOOM!
    A quick look at my profile tells you what I have. And, by your response, I would assume that the only television you have is a portable 7 inch screen, since a large lcd HD television would be redundant, since you could hold your portable tv closer to your face.

Thanks

A quick look at my profile tells you what I have. And, by your response, I would assume that the only television you have is a portable 7 inch screen, since a large lcd HD television would be redundant, since you could hold your portable tv closer to your face.
    that argument would be valid if...

a) the ipad wasn't marketed as a portable device
    b) 7 inch portable tv's were capable of 1080 progressive scan with a 120 gHZ refresh rate. they aren't

MORE BOOM

Thanks

^weak

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

[Blank Stare]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    that argument would be valid if...

a) the ipad wasn't marketed as a portable device
    b) 7 inch portable tv's were capable of 1080 progressive scan with a 120 gHZ refresh rate. they aren't

MORE BOOM
    You are taking my analogy a bit far in regards to the progressive scan and refresh rate. My point is that although an iPad and an iPhone may do similar things, the application of their use is far different. As to the iPad being portable - it is. It is even more portable than a laptop. There is a difference between being portable and being pocketable.

Thanks

You are taking my analogy a bit far
    you initially did that with my post. so we have gotten no where, refreshing, isn't it?

Thanks

ive seen alot of new kindle ads being pushed lately. theyre trying to stay in the game
    killall Terminal[]