+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Great Screen-Protector Ban of 2010

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has made the unprecedented (and, frankly, odd) decision to ban all screen-protecting film products from all retail stores and the Apple Online Store. Manufacturers have come forth today to
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Great Screen-Protector Ban of 2010

Apple has made the unprecedented (and, frankly, odd) decision to ban all screen-protecting film products from all retail stores and the Apple Online Store. Manufacturers have come forth today to (anonymously) tell a number of online sources, such as iLounge and Macworld, that the ban will start in May. No reason was given for the move, which will affect not only standalone film products, but any case that includes a film screen protector.

The ban is comprehensive: every kind of screen film, including clear film, glare-reducing film, or colored film will no longer be permitted at any Apple store, whether it is meant to protect an iPhone, an iPod, an iPad, or a Mac. No films. None.

Vendors and manufacturers who have spoken up have all done so anonymously, indicating that Apple has lowered one of its mafia-style secrecy edicts over this move. Some of these anonymous informants have put forth guesses as to why films are being forbidden, while taking pains to be clear that these are only guesses. A popular theory is that, because it's hard to apply these films straight, without air bubbles or junk getting caught between the film and the screen, films are being returned more often than most accessories. But others are speculating that Apple just decided that selling protective film will leave consumers with the impression that Apple screens are easily scratched. As buyers begin streaming in to Apple Stores to buy (fairly) expensive touchscreen iPads, the reasoning goes, they'll take one look around them at all the screen protectors and begin to worry.

Apple may be dealing with bad memories of the 1st generation iPod nano, which was so sensitive to being scratched that consumers filed a class action lawsuit, complaining that the displays were so poorly made that just putting them in the pocket of your jeans made the screen unreadable. Apple ended up paying users $25 US each to settle the lawsuit.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

apoc (03-19-2010), reaves205 (03-19-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

haha

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks

It's these kinds of assy moves that make me hate Apple sometimes. Probably my 3GS is going to be the last iteration of the iPhone I have. Apple seems to be going ban happy on everything lately.

So does this mean I'm out of luck if I take my iPhone to an Apple store? Will I be getting a big "no no" from them for having my 3GS completely covered?
    Last edited by RaiV3R; 03-17-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Typo, lolz.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RaiV3R For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (03-19-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

no screen protectors?!?! WTF !! is it because Apple wants our devices to wear out sooner so we have to buy replacements?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (03-17-2010), rkswat (03-17-2010)

Thanks

Or does it mean they will mass produce them themselves and make an even bigger profit(Monopoly)?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 0Milk0 For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (03-17-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Really, why would anyone buy accessories (or really anything) from the Apple Store, when you can get substantially cheaper (with full warranties) elsewhere?
    Last edited by cmwade77; 03-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0Milk0 View Post
    Or does it mean they will mass produce them themselves and make an even bigger profit(Monopoly)?
    That's what I'm thinking, and in that case, screw them. I'll still continue buying my protectors elsewhere (Invisible Shield).

This, although completely different, reminds me of Microsoft banning the use of any third party memory cards. ONLY officially licensed Microsoft products can be used on their console now.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I actually bought mine from the Apple store. WTF! Lol. They had the best kind, IMO.
    Nothing beats the iPhone.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

does this include the full body shields? i was going to get one for my b day
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EddieLeonard For This Useful Post:

rickybobby (03-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsmejdn View Post
    I actually bought mine from the Apple store. WTF! Lol. They had the best kind, IMO.
    Whats with the retarded black, white girl??
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OR it could go with their "green" movement and it isn't a conspiracy at all... just a thought

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Screen protectors also help prevent the screen from breaking as easily when dropped. Maybe they've seen the stats on this and have decided they could make a significant profit replacing more cracked screens.

Thanks

i think screen protectors make them look ugly anyways. had mine for 2 years without any scratches on the screen itself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Next thing you know Apple will tell you you voided your warranty by using a screen protector.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm really hating apple lately I will not get the next iphone other brands have already surpassed apple. The only reason i stick with the iphone is because of all of you. this modding community is one of the best I've seen and if jail breaking was to disappear then my iphone would be in the middle of the street. apple has become a product nazi. that is the reason their success will not continue for long.

Thanks

They don't want them because they will make their products look week because they need protection. Next thing you know they will start suing companies who make cases for ipods/iphones because they violate patents or something by using the same basic shape or some crap like that.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

wow...talk about egotistical. Apple just wants to control as much as they can. I think their growing popularity has gotten to their head. I value my screen protector because it reduces glare and reduces the friction of the screen. As far as getting bubbles trapped under the film, it doesn't take a genious to carefully apply one with a credit card

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Maybe Apple is banning screen protectors because they have been dumping money into Fingerprint resistant digitizers and the screen protectors would make that coating useless??
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i am always blown away how Apple turns on the very people that help put money in their greedy little pockets. They have no problem taking 30% on the dollar from app developers then banning them. It dose not matter whether they should have been there or not. They were. Not to mention if you need another copy of something you already purchased, you are just out of luck. Now they sell products in their stores for years at huge mark ups and then ban them. I have found the same cases and screen protectors in Five Below for 5 dollars or less. Not look alikes but the same. Even brands like Incase. I will never buy another case from Apple again. Not a big fan of screen protectors, but did just put a nice scratch on my iphone for the first time. Wish I would have had one. Does this mean I can take it back for a new one. Banning them to me says that they should not scratch.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Maybe Apple is banning screen protectors because they have been dumping money into Fingerprint resistant digitizers and the screen protectors would make that coating useless??
    If they can make them fingerprint resistant/proof as well as not making my finger feel like it's sticking to the screen, sure.

Currently I love matte screen protectors because I loathe fingerprints and it allows me to move my fingers smoothly across the screen.

Assuming Apple can make something that fits those standards, they're just pushing people away.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast