+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Goin' Down to Gulftown: 6-Core Mac Pros Tuesday?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
A "tipster" has told ZDNet's Adrian Kingsley-Hughes that Tuesday March 16 is the day Apple will release a new Mac Pro model with Intel's new Core i7-980X Extreme Edition "Gulftown"
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Goin' Down to Gulftown: 6-Core Mac Pros Tuesday?

A "tipster" has told ZDNet's Adrian Kingsley-Hughes that Tuesday March 16 is the day Apple will release a new Mac Pro model with Intel's new Core i7-980X Extreme Edition "Gulftown" processor. The report comes as Intel is giving developers a preview of the new chip at the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco. Though the anonymous tip should be taken with the customary grain (or bag) of salt, it's notable that Tuesday is the projected release data for the Gulftown chip as well, and that Apple has previously gotten first exclusive crack at Inter processors.

if the report pans out, this new model would be Apple's first hexacore desktop. The 3.33GHz clock speed on the Extreme Edition is the same as that on the current top-of-the-line quadcore Xeon, but should cost less: the Core i7-980X is expected to cost less than $1000 US, and the 3500 series Xeons used in current Mac Pros are hundreds more. The Core i7-980X uses hyperthreading technology that allows the six cores to function as twelve logical cores, so a dual Gulftown Mac Pro would scream with twenty-four cores. The new chip also features TurboBoost, which can turn off some of the cores and give that power to the remaining cores if there's no software support for the additional cores, and can do on-demand overclocking to boost power when there's sufficient cooling.

The high-end Mac Pro last saw a significant update over a year ago, before Apple introduced the Core i5/i7 line on the iMac. Last year, Macworld did a test that found the quadcore iMac beating some eight-core Mac Pros in head-to-head speed tests. But Mac Pros have traditionally used workstation-class Xeons, so adding Core i7 processors to the lineup would mean supporting two distinct chipsets in the same product line, with different memory requirements. And Tuesday's date is not necessarily notable for the Core i7 alone: Intel is supposed to be working on new 32nm "Westmere" Xeons for this month, and could decide to push them out the door next week as well.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the i7 quad duo-core running in my HP and all I can suggest is for folks to get some extra cooling power. Other than that the i7 series is awesome.

adp
    Thanks

Any word on the MBP possible i5 update?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

so small, so so small, u americans have big (south park chinpokemon episode)

dammmit i have to buy another mac now
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    The 3.33GHz clock speed on the Extreme Edition is the same as that on the current top-of-the-line quadcore Xeon, but should cost less: the Core i7-980X is expected to cost less than $1000 US, and the 3500 series Xeons used in current Mac Pros are hundreds more.
    But I bet the newer Mac Pro's will cost hundreds more than the last model. Regardless of the chip they put in it. And if the base model has a less capable chip, the option to upgrade to this one (if available) will probably run somewhere in the $1200-1800 range on the build your own mac page.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wish I could afford a maxed out Mac Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol @ crazystamina

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

those things are amazing, but are just way too expensive for me...

Thanks

Dang! Great for gaming!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

nice
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

very good
    killall Terminal[]