Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macs Gaining "Steam" In May

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Macs Gaining "Steam" In May

In what comes as a welcome announcement to Mac users and PC gamers longing for the touch and feel of a Mac, Steam, the popular PC gaming platform from Valve Software, is headed to Mac systems as early as this spring. While the arrival will come in May, some of the company's biggest games (those presently available and many upcoming titles) will similarly turn for Mac throughout the year.

While rumors have swirled for some time around the possibility of Steam coming to Mac, information leaked from next month's issue of GameInformer seems to confirm the speculation with a revelation that Valve will kick off a beta of Steam for Mac in the next few months. As many avid gamers are excited to learn, Portal 2 will hit Macs by this fall.

Consequently, this announcement has a lot of people thinking about Apple's next Macbook Pro release, as the Intel Core i5/i7 processors will make Steam for Mac a truly sweet experience, indeed.

Although Steam is about eight years old, it's only become ultra-popular in the last few years. Essentially functioning as a gaming app store for PCs, the arrival of Steam on Mac systems will create lots of new and exciting gaming experiences for Apple fans who will now have access to this incredibly awesome digital distribution system for the hottest PC gaming titles in existence.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, good call!

I always find it extremely ironic that the Mac vs. PC commercials portray the Mac user as the young tech savvy guy and the PC user as the old guy who just writes documents. But in reality, most people my age I know are gamers, and no gamer would go with a Mac. This decision might finally make it possible for Apple to accurately portray the Mac as a good device for everything, rather than just graphic editing and word processing.
    Last edited by MaxRabbit; 03-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am not a gamer but this is big news for mac gamers

Thanks

Awesome! A nice treat for Mac gamers!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

so the rumor about it was actually true

about time, now i feel bad for installing windows 7 on my mbp

Like A Boss

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Source for Macs is interesting, I wonder how it will affect development.

Mac gaming... Why does that make me "LoL"? Yeah a Mac is a great machine, but the thought of gaming on one just sounds... wrong. I guess it could work now though. Apple finally realized that a right click is actually useful. who'da thunk?

ive never tried it before. looks good though
    killall Terminal[]

Everyone should try Portal. One of the best games ever made, and as much as I hate DRM, Valve does it right. I've not had a single problem that wasn't dealt with immediately and from the press release they say that buying one version (Mac/PC) gets you the other version at no cost. THAT is how you treat your customers. You listening Doppler?

If it weren't for Fallout 3 and a few other things I need it for I would erase my Windows 7 partition so I'd have more room for games. Cannot wait to download all the games I have in Windows and that I can play against other cross platform.

And you need to do your research more Messany, your reporting is flat out wrong. Steam is NOT going to be available in May, it'll be available in April.The beta is the user interface beta after a Steam update to change to the WebKit rendering engine. The GameInformer article doesn't hint at anything about a beta or that Steam might be coming to Mac, it flat out states it. They said they were going to release Portal 2 for Mac this fall. Many of their popular titles (Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series) will be available immediately and for no charge for those that already own the Windows version of that game. You will also be able to play against one another cross platform.

Ridiculous that so much information is wrong in just one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Valve press release
    Valve to Deliver Steam & Source on the Mac
    Leading Gaming Service Expands to Mac Platform

March 8, 2010 - Valve announced today it will bring Steam, Valve's gaming service, and Source, Valve's gaming engine, to the Mac.

Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.

"As we transition from entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service, customers and developers need open, high-quality Internet clients," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services."

"Our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac," said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve. "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Support for the Mac in Source and Steamworks is available to third parties immediately.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 03-08-2010 at 04:27 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

pyromcr (03-08-2010), reanimationxp (03-09-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! I am sorry I couldnt help myself. YEASSSSSSSSHHHHHH!
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i cant wait for it! but it is coming in APRIL, dont believe me? go look at vales blog. you should fix that...

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Everyone should try Portal. One of the best games ever made, and as much as I hate DRM, Valve does it right. I've not had a single problem that wasn't dealt with immediately and from the press release they say that buying one version (Mac/PC) gets you the other version at no cost. THAT is how you treat your customers. You listening Doppler?

If it weren't for Fallout 3 and a few other things I need it for I would erase my Windows 7 partition so I'd have more room for games. Cannot wait to download all the games I have in Windows and that I can play against other cross platform.

And you need to do your research more Messany, your reporting is flat out wrong. Steam is NOT going to be available in May, it'll be available in April.The beta is the user interface beta after a Steam update to change to the WebKit rendering engine. The GameInformer article doesn't hint at anything about a beta or that Steam might be coming to Mac, it flat out states it. They said they were going to release Portal 2 for Mac this fall. Many of their popular titles (Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series) will be available immediately and for no charge for those that already own the Windows version of that game. You will also be able to play against one another cross platform.

Ridiculous that so much information is wrong in just one post.
    i know...
    Last edited by pyromcr; 03-08-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

YES! cant wait, definitely gettin a new macbook pro^_^

This is great news, maybe some developers will follow. We already have Blizzard that has full support for Macs for many years. Getting Valve to move over is a big step forward.

I am excited even more so since I just dropped my desktop windows 7 machine for my new iMac 27in i5.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

damn...and i've already bought this MacBook Pro i have from September. It is in mint condition and hopefully i can sell it for a good high price

all i care about is unreal 4 and counter strike source...yesssssss. I'm glad they are making their games cross platform.