+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pulls All WiFi Stumblers from App Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has unexpectedly removed a number of utility apps that detect WiFi networks, and even the developers of those apps are unclear as to the reason why Apple suddenly finds
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Pulls All WiFi Stumblers from App Store

Apple has unexpectedly removed a number of utility apps that detect WiFi networks, and even the developers of those apps are unclear as to the reason why Apple suddenly finds them so unacceptable. According to a report in Softpedia, WiFi stumblers like WifiTrak, WiFiFoFum, yFy Network Finder, WiFi Get, eWifi, and WiFi Analyzer vanished from the App Store overnight. The reason given was that the apps were using a "private framework," though details on this weren't provided. A developer at one of the companies affected said that they would pursue re-releasing the app on Cydia.

A framework is a directory of resources inside the iPhone SDK that devs link to in order to build apps. Because it's a shared resource, multiple applications can reuse code without having to build it from scratch. However, not all the functionality that devs want are available in the native frameworks. The rub, though, is that Apple prohibits the use of third-party frameworks on the iPhone, which is apparently (at least according to Apple) the rule these apps fell afoul of.

A developer with the username of "codemonkey57" posted on the Three Jacks Software company blog about a "a very unfortunate email" they had gotten from Cupertino saying that their WiFi-Where app had been dropped. "WiFi-Where has been removed from sale on the App Store for using private frameworks to access wireless information," the message reportedly read. The developer expressed the hope that the same functionality of the unnamed private framework would be made available in a future release of the SDK.

The developer observed with some understandable frustration how Apple chose to remove "very handy, very useful apps" when there are "many useless gimick apps" on the App Store. They have not given up, though: they will keep making WiFi-Where, and - in a clear challenge to Apple - note that their "only option [will be] to look to the jailbreak market on Cydia."
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 03-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Carlos's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone else noticed that Apple is always doing SOMETHING, how many employees do they have do they got someone specializing in every category
    Last edited by battlecrushr; 03-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

Damn glad i got eWiFi before this happened! Lol these WiFi apps help ALOT and i discovered about 20 hidden networks in my school that have full internet access with no password needed !

Meh
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I've always wondered, is there any point to these stumblers? I mean, when you turn on Wi-Fi, can't you see a list of available networks anyways? I have 6GB of data a month so I don't bother with Wi-Fi, so sorry if I'm sounding ignorant.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I find wifitrak infinitely useful. It will indicate if the AP is open and try to connect. It also shows strength.

Thanks

Apple better watch thier step. Plenty of other phones are quickly catching up to the iPhone in functionality and when a equal repacement is available without Big Brother Apple trying to control our data lives. we will disappear like a drop of water on a hot skillet.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firefighter0205 For This Useful Post:

iphoneguy. (03-04-2010), musicguy303 (03-05-2010)

Thanks

At least some of the useless apps are now gone...

Since when Mario started working for Apple!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i never saw the point to those apps at all...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    I've always wondered, is there any point to these stumblers? I mean, when you turn on Wi-Fi, can't you see a list of available networks anyways? I have 6GB of data a month so I don't bother with Wi-Fi, so sorry if I'm sounding ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromcr View Post
    i never saw the point to those apps at all...
    The default WiFi menu in the iPhone/iPod Touch tells you some WiFi networks that you can attempt to connect to, sure, but it only gives you a nice, pretty, watered-down representation of the WiFi networks around you, and doesn't provide any real concrete details that a lot of people (from wireless IT tech analysts, to wardrivers, to college students, etc) would find very useful: signal strengths, hidden network information, network encryption statuses, and the like (and lots more). Best of all, several of the WiFi sniffer apps let you keep tabs on what wireless networks you find and stored their location, which some apps overlaid on top of the map for pin-point accuracy. Very useful, very practical, and shouldn't have been removed from App Store with TONS of other, waaaaaaaaay more useless apps cluttering the place up.

These WiFi apps will certainly be welcome in the Cydia store.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 869 Posts

Those apps were pretty useless, anyway. Not a one of them got good reviews, or did what they say they're suppose to do.

Man, I can't wait until this world is connected at all times with WI-MAX.

Thanks

Lol now we know that "improved wifi signal" is gonna be the next big hype that apple makes a big deal out of in the 3.2 firmware by elimating all competition to disprove that theyre actually doing nothing and just making people think they have better wifi and make a big deal about it.... I remember a similar thing concerning AT&Ts 3g... lol I never remember a time when I got 2 or 3 bars of 3g on at&t... its always 0 1 or full

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Developers are always in Jail!!
    iPhone OS is a nice platform to work on it but developers are like always in Jail. We are asking for include wifi API to iPhone SDK from last May,2009 in apple forum and bug report. But they have no clear response regrading that.

Is Apple have any other plan regarding that?

Removing all this popular app including eWiFi is not a good attitude to developers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post
    Damn glad i got eWiFi before this happened! Lol these WiFi apps help ALOT and i discovered about 20 hidden networks in my school that have full internet access with no password needed !
    wow....

Thanks

why does Apple always do something like this? do they sit there and randomly go "hey, lets remove this and then that" WTF?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPhone - Jailbreak = Dumb-phone!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter0205 View Post
    Apple better watch thier step. Plenty of other phones are quickly catching up to the iPhone in functionality and when a equal repacement is available without Big Brother Apple trying to control our data lives. we will disappear like a drop of water on a hot skillet.
    Well I'm sure they're shaking in their boots now, thanks to your incredible heads up. Geez, they should put you on the payroll with such an insightful mind. They have no idea what they're doing, do they? What a stupid company. With idiots running that place, it's a wonder they're not broke or bankrupt. God, how did they ever make so many billions on the back of rubbish products, incompetent management and absolutely no design strategy or innovation whatsoever. Just makes you sick, doesn't it? Well, not to worry. With the track record you've identified to us all, they won't be around much longer. Problem then is, who do we beech about then? Watch out Microsoft, better get YOUR act together, our eye will be on you next, right? Mr Firefighter? Won't we go after them next??

Thanks

these apps are so redundently unnecessary. your iphone automatically stumbles onto networks and a popup shows you when it finds one. anyone who has paid for one of these apps or even downloaded a free one....well do i really need to say it.
    killall Terminal[]

LinkBacks (?)