+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Store Your Movies in the Cloud?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is increasingly trying to position itself uniquely as not just a hardware manufacturer, but as a revolutionary service provider for new media as well. The iTunes Store just passed
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Store Your Movies in the Cloud?

Apple is increasingly trying to position itself uniquely as not just a hardware manufacturer, but as a revolutionary service provider for new media as well. The iTunes Store just passed its ten-billionth download, and Apple has arguably changed the landscape for mobile broadband, with half of all smartphone data worldwide passing through an iPhone. Recently, observers have seen portents of Apple's plan to move iTunes into a cloud storage in the mold of Lala.com, with a huge new data center in the southeast US. Now, according to a new report, Apple is planning to allow users to store their movie purchases in the iTunes cloud as well, potentially changing the way mobile video is handled.

Currently, when you buy a movie on iTunes, the entire video is downloaded to your desktop or mobile device. In the FairPlay-protected M4V format used on the iTunes Store, full-length movies even in standard definition are multi-gigabyte files which require a long time to download and quickly fill the limited flash memory on iPods, iPhones or iPads. Changing to a streaming model accomplishes two things that could make this scheme very attractive for users: saving time and space, and making each user's video library available anywhere they can access the Web.

According to CNET, Apple is negotiating with the film studios for rights to distribute movies. Hollywood, according to the report, is afraid that Apple will only allow users to watch iTunes movies only on Apple devices, and is trying to use their leverage to force Apple to open up, according to James McQuivey, a media analyst at Forrester Research. "They are in a position to force Apple to go along and make sure that content bought [via] iTunes will play on a Nokia phone," McQuivey says. "That is very un-Apple-like."

Apple may be counting on the possibility that the iPad will be as popular as it hopes to persuade the studios to go Apple's way. They may not be able to, at least in the beginning. But if the cloud-based distribution system catches on, Apple will not only be set as a major player in the entertainment industry, but will have led an evolutionary shift in the way people deal with their media content. CNET's source explains the significance in a simple sentence.

"Basically, they want to eliminate the hard drive."

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a hard time seeing this pay off, I have 1 TB External HD that works fine. Not to mention that some of the movies I have copied from my friends computer (which isn't 100% legal). The last thing I want is Apple having access to movies that have been shuffled around several parties.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks
    I still prefer to store my movies on my device. Let the wifi infrastructure/3G/4G? improve and maybe i will jump on the stream/cloud bandwagon.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think this is a great move. I just recently found Air Video which basically puts all my movies in a cloud similar to what this move will do and I love it. With all my movies and music on my computer the only way to access them before was by physically being on my computer network. Now I can access them thousands of miles away and watch them right on my iPhone and its revolutionary. The benefit of a huge company like Apple making this idea popularized will catch on like wild fire.

I do however disagree that this will do anything to the hard drive industry. In my opinion there will always be a place for a hard copy. Plus with the infrastructure in place now, streaming video in its full resolution the way it was meant to be is never as fast as playing straight from your computer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Airvideo does not put the movies in a cloud. It merely transcodes and streams from the host machine where the movies are stored. e.g from your home pc to the iphone...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I realize that but it's the same idea which is why I said "basically". It's stores movies so you can access them anywhere. Only difference is it's on my computer instead of their servers.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It would definitely improve the idea if you could access your movies from devices outside of Apple's.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

why has this could stuff become such big news all of a sudden? i just hope that when they do do this, i wont cost as much as mobile me...

Thanks

As soon as broadband in my area improves, and my upload speed gets to a point that i can remotely view my media in HD (2/3MB upload?) i will have my own little server, which streams my own hard copied downloaded media.

As soon as broadband in everyones area improves like mine, they can do the same thing. Hard drives are not expensive, you could probably get a 1Tb drive that will store 100+ 8GB bluray ripped films to stream for the price of buying 10 films on itunes to stream from their cloud.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally like having copies stored on my hd. The internet at my on campus housing is horrible and is often too slow to even stream youtube videos, a streaming HD video would be impossible to watch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Not for me....I like to control what I own and not have it out in the ether somewhere....far far away!

Thanks

die harddrives die? Hell no.... this is just a trick to control the media.... in this case you wont really own the movies you buy... you wont be able to copy them you wont be able to do what you want with them... and if apple does it you must likely will have to run this on Mac hardware ONLY cuz if you havent noticed Apple is worst then microsoft in the area of sharing .... they dont have flash because its from adobe, they dont have a browser other then safari on the iphone (they removed idroid mini from their app store already) Apple is a control freak....

Microsoft just wants to control one area "computer software" APPLE is a HARDWARE software company they wanna control everything your life they wanna control how you use your own devices... apple wants to control you!!!!