+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Working on Making Macs HD-Capable?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Working on Making Macs HD-Capable?

According to a report in AppleInsider this morning, Apple is getting ready to add HDMI output to the next model of the Mac mini. Currently, the small-form-factor Mac has only a DVI video port: only the Apple TV box currently supports HDMI video output. Apple has also, according to this article, developed its own custom Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for older Macs that will enable them to connect to HDTVs with one cable.

The computer industry is increasingly moving to direct HDMI audio/video output, rather than the older DVI standard: all Intel motherboard chipsets newer than the 945G Express have supported HD video plus 8-channel (7.1) sound over HDMI, as have NVIDIA’s GeForce 8200 and 8300 chipsets. DVI video is basically compatible with HDMI, but the dual-link DVI implementation on Mac mini - as well as most PCs - doesn't have audio data on the high-speed serial channel. While DVI to HDMI dongles exist - as well as ones that convert the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI, there's no current way of transmitting audio and video through a single cable.

The new Mac mini prototype that is reportedly being tested is said to have an HDMI port where the DVI connector is located on the current model. This computer, according to AppleInsider's sources, uses the NVIDIA MCP89 chipset, which is the new model of the MCP79 used in most Macs that have Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Given that Intel sued NVIDIA to prevent it from shipping MCP89 chipsets compatible with Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, the new Mac mini is believed to be based on a Core 2 Duo platform.

Along with this upgrade, Apple is also said to be working on its own Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which would let Mini DisplayPort-enabled MacBooks, iMacs, minis, and Mac Pros send HD video and audo over a single cable. This adapter was apparently intended to be included with new 27-inch iMacs, along with Blu-Ray support. However, when Apple reportedly balked at high licensing fees for Blu-Ray technology, the HDMI adapter was pulled as well. AppleInsider speculates that this adapter may become available at some point, but this is less clear.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

what took them so long?
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I have been using the mini display pot to DVI converter with a DVI to HDMI converter for over a year. Works like a charm But it will be nice to finally have TRUE HDMI
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow, welcome to 2008 apple. Glad you could make it. HDMI out port has been mandatory for a couple years or so.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (03-02-2010), wingedfoot26 (03-02-2010)

Thanks

Believe it or not people have been using "work around" ideas for hdmi ever since and hdmi should be on all current apple laptops.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And 10 years from now they will finally get Blu-ray. Oh yeah thats cause steve jobs doesn't like blu-ray, or flash or biometrics. Maybe because OSX can't handle such a big hardware change. I just can't understand why Apple is so far behind on stuff that many other companies had for years.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindutch For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (03-02-2010), Rota (03-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

i have mini display to hdmi and it even supports audio if OS X would...so hopefully an update to os x when they release this will support audio out with hdmi

Banned
    Thanks

My Mac Mini Runs Windows 7 at 1080p just great on my Sony Bravia 40inch. Thanks Microsoft.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brandonmarback For This Useful Post:

Rota (03-02-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using a mini display port to hdmi with my MBP, the video output is good but there's no sound. OS X doesn't connect to my Bravia TV properly though, Windows 7 does.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

My 2 year old Gateway has HDMI and I use it, for that reason, every day. Hello Netflix, nice to meet ya.

I'm glad Apple is finally on board though. Seems like a no-brainer to me though. As anyone seen the commercials for Best Buy's 'Blue' laptops that do wireless video? I wonder if it's wifi or some other space-age technology

Thanks

correct me if i'm wrong here because i'm not sure. but don't most new tv's have a PC/USB inputs for viewing whats on your computer. wouldn't these also transmit audio? or just picture?
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I have been using the mini display pot to DVI converter with a DVI to HDMI converter for over a year. Works like a charm But it will be nice to finally have TRUE HDMI
    You don't transmit sound using that converter do you? If you do, then I've been missing out and I need to pick one of those up asap!

How could sound be transferred through the mini display port though if not? Would it just require a software update on apple's part?

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

this will be so cool. i can us my computers on my 62 inch tv!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong here because i'm not sure. but don't most new tv's have a PC/USB inputs for viewing whats on your computer. wouldn't these also transmit audio? or just picture?
    usb ports are used to transfer small data, to stream video I think your going to need a cable to transfer at much higher speeds and depending on the quality of the video a higher bit rate transfer too.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    And 10 years from now they will finally get Blu-ray. Oh yeah thats cause steve jobs doesn't like blu-ray, or flash or biometrics. Maybe because OSX can't handle such a big hardware change. I just can't understand why Apple is so far behind on stuff that many other companies had for years.
    Look..another person who has nothing better to do than take a swing at Apple. You don't have a Mac so why do you even care? You obviously like something they make or you wouldn't be on an Apple forum. So you really must not have anything better to do...

This will be sweet to have!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-02-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Look..another person who has nothing better to do than take a swing at Apple. You don't have a Mac so why do you even care? You obviously like something they make or you wouldn't be on an Apple forum. So you really must not have anything better to do...

This will be sweet to have!
    Ditto mate, Ditto!!

Plenty of anti Apple trolls here mate. Some infant from Microsuck or Adobe posts here under the name ROTA. The mods must be desperate to have anti Apple trolls over run this place. If I wanted that type of rubbish, I'll visit the Microsuck forums. Wouldn't want the excellence of anything Apple in the hands of IQ challenged trolls anyway.

Thanks

^Microsoft don't suck. I've never had any problem with their OS's but I still bought a MBP a few months ago. Not all Apple products are great either, some of them suck too. Apple are staring to suck though but I don't think I'll sell my MBP, iPhone or iPod yet.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    ^Microsoft don't suck. I've never had any problem with their OS's but I still bought a MBP a few months ago. Not all Apple products are great either, some of them suck too. Apple are staring to suck though but I don't think I'll sell my MBP, iPhone or iPod yet.
    And all credit to you for not being biased, your posts are fair and without prejudice. My experience with microsuck goes back a way, and if I hadn't work in a field that uses both PC & Macs, then I wouldn't have found the freedom I enjoy now. Understanding the differences led me to feel MS had been treating its users like lab rats. Vista and millennium proved that. Apple certainly aint perfect, but they do things that suit me better. I haven't owned a PC for 10 years and I avoid them at work at every opportunity. So to me, they are microsuck. Just my personal opinion. I don't go on their forums and spread hate and misinformation like some here do. If a product is good, then it deserves a pat on the back. Windows 7 is the best MS have produced since the last days of XP, and about time too. The PC world deserved a better OS. Good luck to them, but they lost me. When you've been burned by MS like I have, you appreciate an easier ride. I won't bash MS here if people don't bash Apple for no reasonable reasons. They buy an iPhone and they feel entitled to jump on all the forums and trash them at every turn. A douche called Rota (some toy helicopter pet name or something) pumps his trash out here, and admits he doesn't even have an Apple product anymore. He's giving you guys a bad name. Good luck, I hope you enjoy the MBP. Cheers

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

HDMI isn't better video quality than DVI >.> This is a gimmick to make people think "It will look better now because it has the word HD in it" when in reality DVI and HDMI both support the exact same video output. Now HDMI does have audio but on a PC the graphics cards you buy usually have a DVI port with HDMI audio features if you use a converter.

Also its not about Windows and M$ its about being able to build your own PC for a fraction the cost with better hardware at least that's what it is for me and I see no reason to spend $2k on a MBP with only a dual core cpu (bare minimum MPB is 2k which is ridiculous because it cost about $500-$800 to build if that) when I can build a desktop for $700 with and i7 and a 200 series Nvidia graphics card or buy a Windows laptop with an awesome large HD screen for $1200 with again an i7 and w/e the top quality mobile graphics card is now. I have nothing against macs themselves I have problems with Apple being cheap and greedy, if someone gave me a MBP or if I was about to buy one at a reasonable price chances are I would use it all the time until I needed to browse web pages with flash then I would switch to my pc (ya taking a flash jab at apple so what ;P)
    Last edited by riku98523; 03-03-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    A douche called Rota (some toy helicopter pet name or something) pumps his trash out here, and admits he doesn't even have an Apple product anymore. He's giving you guys a bad name. Good luck, I hope you enjoy the MBP. Cheers
    Lol yeh I seen him and the "debate" between you and him, he's got a quote from one of your posts as his signature.

Yeh the MBP is awesome but I find Snow Leopard as not as good as Leopard. Need a HDMI port and Blu Ray.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 03-03-2010 at 08:35 AM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th