+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Valve Working on Mac Version of Steam?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Steam is a digital distribution system for games on Windows/Intel-based PCs - what MacRumors refers to as "essentially a PC game App Store." Buzz has been spreading on the Web
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Valve Working on Mac Version of Steam?

Steam is a digital distribution system for games on Windows/Intel-based PCs - what MacRumors refers to as "essentially a PC game App Store." Buzz has been spreading on the Web that Valve, developers of the system,which calls itself "the nexus of PC gaming," may be working on a Mac OS client. Intriguing hints were found of Mac OS X interface elements in the source code of the client's beta release, and the company is apparently searching for Linux and Mac engineers.

The public beta of the new Steam client was released on Tuesday to deal with the 200% growth in the userbase: 25 million users that log 12 billion player minutes in online games per month, and 75 billion minutes per month of Steam client acces. None of these minutes took place on a Mac, despite the fact that games developers like EA, id Software, PopCap, and Take-Two Interactive have titles on Steam. The presence of a Steam channel for delivery of games may provide more motivation for developers to work on Mac OS titles, though Valve says its own efforts to work with Apple have been unrewarding. In a 2007 interview with AppleInsider, Steam's co-founder Gabe Newell said "We have this pattern with Apple where we meet with them, people there go 'wow, gaming is incredibly important, we should do something with gaming. And then we'll say, 'OK, here are three things you could do to make that better,' and then they say OK, and then we never see them again."

An alert public beta participant [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157656"]posted screenshots to the Steam user forums of Mac OS X-like interface components[/ame] - including versions of the maximize, minimize and close "traffic light" icons - in the source code of the beta. Some viewers are unconvinced, saying these could just be elements for a Mac OS X theme of the site. However, a note on Valve developer Chris Green's LinkedIn profile indicated that the company is "REALLY looking" for Mac engineers.

Valve's latest update also switches for the first time from Microsoft's Trident rendering engine used in Internet Explorer to the open-source WebKit engine Apple uses for its Safari browser.

image via warriorlax5506 in the Steam User Forums
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 02-27-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: cleaning up title

Green Apple
    Thanks

interesting..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

UNFORTUNATELY, those buttons are part of the OS and can be included into any program, they don't need to be dropped into the app like that.

I am calling BS.

Thanks

why bother with this junk? just run boot camp, and run win 7. there's no need for a knock off whateverthefuckitis.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i so hope they are! i was going to bootcamp, but if they are going to bring it to mac, then why would i want to have to restart my computer every time i want to use steam. i really hope that this is true and it is coming soon...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Read about this a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    This will be awesome if they pull it off. The world of gaming on a Mac will be completely opened up using Steam. I wonder how they'll get all the Windows games to work on OSX though. Possibly virtualization?
    I would assume they'll just be selling Mac games through Steam, not making all the games on Steam work on macs. You make it sound that they'll just flip a switch and all the games currently on Steam will work on macs

Developers need to delivery more games to Mac users. EA are kinda doing it, but even their "native" games are using Cider, and dont run nearly as well as their Windows counterparts

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sounds pretty useless then. I can probably count all the Mac games out there on one hand.
    Yup, and when they do come out its months after the windows release. If anyone wants to play games on their mac, use bootcamp.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

about time! Linux FTW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yup, and when they do come out its months after the windows release. If anyone wants to play games on their mac, use bootcamp.
    I'll install the mac version of steam for the chat functions alone.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    agreed
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i hope this works...im dying to get steam onto my mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Maybe there is a lot of mac users on steam?
    If you send information about your system to steam, often it will tell steam support that you are using boot camp on a mac (I sent in a request for support for a game that was crashing lots and they sent one back saying "We don't support macs, not even macs running boot camp D.

I don't know, maybe there are a lot of mac users running steam via boot camp and they know enough numbers to say "we can make a very good buck here."

Yeah, it will be a small game store for a while (in terms of full version games, I bet lots of 'bejewelled' size games will make it on), but they should be able to grow the market pretty fast. Yeah, it seems that Blizzard (who doesn't release enough games to really count) is the only large company to release fully native mac versions at the same time as the windows version.
    Last edited by draemn; 02-27-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks

This will be awesome if they pull it off. The world of gaming on a Mac will be completely opened up using Steam. I wonder how they'll get all the Windows games to work on OSX though. Possibly virtualization?
    just bootcamp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    True.

I wonder how they'll run all the Valve-developed games. Now, I can stop using CrossOver once this is out.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I know there was talks of porting their source engine, but I don't think that got very far in terms of development.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Months?? Try years, and even then they are a ****** port of a great game.

Thanks

Im not a computer gamer at all, but Steam is definitely coming to Mac.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Yea they posted a few teaser images that are just like the mac ads. I would love for them to move this way. Maybe it will move others over. Blizzard is on that already has full support for both for many years but another distributer would be very nice.

Thanks

There are at least 6 teasers.

iGordon

Mac Ad Turrets

Heavy Sandvich

Francis

Mac OSX Steam Tease

Alex vs. Breen
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!