+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MacBooks to use NVIDIA Optimus Dual Graphics?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is testing NVIDIA's Optimus switchable graphics to improve performance, according to a leak reported by AppleInsider . Currently, switching from the energy-efficient Intel integrated graphics to the dedicated card
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New MacBooks to use NVIDIA Optimus Dual Graphics?

Apple is testing NVIDIA's Optimus switchable graphics to improve performance, according to a leak reported by AppleInsider. Currently, switching from the energy-efficient Intel integrated graphics to the dedicated card requires users to log out and log back in. The Optimus technology would allow this switchover to happen in the background. The next refresh to the MacBook Pro line is anticipated to use new NVIDIA chipsets that enable this functionality, according to AppleInsider's sources.

Since the changeover from integrated Intel graphics to NVIDIA's CPU-supporting chipset in 2008, MacBook Pro users have had to make a selection in the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences to switch between the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor - which offers longer battery life - to the high-performance GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processor. As Intel began rolling out chips based on its Nehalem architecture, which includes integrated graphics processors, it sued NVIDIA to prevent it from developing compatible chipsets. As a result, NVIDIA halted all development until the case is resolved. The US Federal Trade Commission took Intel to court in December for allegedly using its dominant position in the market to stifle competition. AppleInsider's source asserts that this uncertainty is the cause of the lack of major updates to the MacBook Pro line since the unibody models with NVIDIA graphics appeared in October 2008.

"Just as a Hybrid car chooses between the gas-powered and electric car engine on-the-fly and uses the most appropriate engine, Nvidia Optimus technology does the same thing for graphics processors," according to NVIDIA's white paper. Any application that is graphics-intensive and taxes the integrated graphics will trigger the high-performance discrete processor. If the leak holds water, it's likely that new MacBook Pros will use the GeForce 300M series, which is the follow-on to the GeForce 9600M GT chipset in current MacBook Pros and supports Optimus technology. The GTS 360M has 96 cores with a 128-bit bus width and 2GHz memory clock, and is rated at 413 gigaflops. The midrange GT 335M has 72 cores and the 330M and 325M have 48 cores, while the low-end 64-bit GT 310M and 305M both have 16 cores.

Neither Apple nor NVIDIA would comment on the reports.

Thanks

This would make me happy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

awesome image haha

Thanks

man. that means that my macbook is soon to be considered. "old ****"

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I was hoping they'd use the Bumblebee Dual Graphics

Thanks

If MacBook Pros actually have these, I would get one (Hopefully) but wouldn't there be a chance where Apple may raise the price a bit? Honestly, I think they would.

Btw, nice picture!

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL. Love the pic.

Thanks

a goood...a gooood
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone dhruvmalik's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nehal3m View Post
    If MacBook Pros actually have these, I would get one (Hopefully) but wouldn't there be a chance where Apple may raise the price a bit? Honestly, I think they would.

Btw, nice picture!
    No Apple wouldn't change the price as its a market trend pattern that they must follow. Its not the consumers responsibility to pay the difference for a standard feature. Meaning you an I dont have a choice with the type of GPU/Chipset technology they are providing, hence its not my responsibility to pay for you spending more or less for it.
    --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--

Thanks

I'll be pretty disappointed if this is true. Not because background switching isn't awesome...but because Apple is again working with Nvidia. they are now far behind the technology curve. ATi is where it's at.

Sigh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-22-2010)

Thanks

i only went to this link cos of the pic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    I'll be pretty disappointed if this is true. Not because background switching isn't awesome...but because Apple is again working with Nvidia. they are now far behind the technology curve. ATi is where it's at.

Sigh.
    I was thinking this. No DX11 cards yet, and their upcoming DX11 card is proving to be a shambles...
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I was thinking this. No DX11 cards yet, and their upcoming DX11 card is proving to be a shambles...
    i never try ATI , i use Nvidia for 3D glasses with games , no one does this ....right ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post

Sigh.
    ATi? pfft those video cards don't even work well with intel motherboards. ATi is not where it's at. NVIDIA is not behind the curve in video technology.

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    So what games and videos do you have that use DX11?
    Last edited by hollow0; 02-22-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    ATi? pfft those video cards don't even work well with intel motherboards. ATi is not where it's at. NVIDIA is not behind the curve in video technology.

So what games and videos do you have that use DX11?
    Bad Company 2 uses it. I'll probably be buying Crysis 2 as well once I get my new PC... Medal of Honor will probably have it as well...
    Last edited by dale1v; 02-22-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Nvidia, I think are awesome and better for the MBP than ATi!!
    Anyway I use a PS3 for gaming.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

cool, my laptop is getting old anyway...