Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jobs Still Talking Smack About Flash: Report

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jobs Still Talking Smack About Flash: Report

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, after reportedly calling Adobe "lazy" at an employee "town hall meeting" last month, was allegedly working hard to convince executives at The Wall Street Journal that Flash is "old technology" and that they should avoid it in their online edition. Meanwhile, an Adobe exec defended his company's platform, while acknowledging the truth of Jobs's complaint that Flash takes more CPU cycles to run on Macs than it does on Windows PCs.

Jobs reportedly continued the blunt language he used in the Apple town hall meeting, saying that Flash is full of bugs and that it crashes Macs. Flash, he said, is a "CPU hog" that has numerous "security holes." Averring that Apple doesn't "spend a lot of energy on old technology," Jobs claimed that the Mac had led the industry in dropping other obsolete technologies like floppy disks, FireWire 400, and non-LED backlit LCDs, and predicted that Flash was headed for the same destiny. He told the execs that Flash support would have cut the iPad's battery life to 90 minutes instead of the 10 hours Apple claims. Jobs urged the Journal execs to move to other rich media standards like embrace H.264-encoded video, which he said would be "trivial" for the paper to implement.

Adobe Chief Technical Officer Kevin Lynch, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal's BoomTown blogger Kara Swisher on AllThingsDigital, noted that "there's a lot of Flash content on the Web," claiming that "about 85% of the top websites have Flash on their website." He said that he hoped that continued Flash support on Android, Palm, Nokia, and RIM, among other devices "will encourage others" (Apple?) to support it as well. Lynch said that Adobe is working to minimize CPU load during video rendering, acknowledging that the task is more processor-intense for the Mac than for Windows machines.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (02-19-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Yah well done Steve, although I do agree Flash does take more CPU cycles to run on a mac.. but it should be the consumer's choice to install or not!

Hell, would you rather us use Silverlight?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

Stop acting like a damn Communist by telling us what you want us to do or not. If we want to install flash, let us do it. If we believe it's old/outdated/takes too much memory - then give US the choice to not delete it. I honestly don't care about your opinion that flash is old. But then again, I'm just beating a dead horse here.

If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

ron4543 (02-19-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I totally agree that flash should be banned from apple. Yeah it sucks not to see it on the website your on but seriously, apple knows what they are doing, thats why you don't see Macs getting viruses or anything like that bc they avoid stupid programs like flash. Technology changes everyday, theres gotta be something out there more safe that will come along.

Flash is a multimedia standard for the web and still has a lot of potential. If they have a problem with it partner up with Adobe and help them improve it. Make it so it runs faster on a mac than on competing machines. Flash isn't going anywhere and apple looks like a fool for not adopting it.

For anyone who knows: How hard would it be to make a flash plugin for Safari?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Damn, Steve is a flippin NAZI now.

Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
    Flash is a multimedia standard for the web and still has a lot of potential. If they have a problem with it partner up with Adobe and help them improve it. Make it so it runs faster on a mac than on competing machines. Flash isn't going anywhere and apple looks like a fool for not adopting it.

For anyone who knows: How hard would it be to make a flash plugin for Safari?
    That's what im saying. Im surprised no one has come out with a plugin for Jailbroken iPhone's that play's flash content.. now THAT'S something i would gladly pay for.
    Last edited by GixxerJJ; 02-19-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    I totally agree that flash should be banned from apple. Yeah it sucks not to see it on the website your on but seriously, apple knows what they are doing, thats why you don't see Macs getting viruses or anything like that bc they avoid stupid programs like flash. Technology changes everyday, theres gotta be something out there more safe that will come along.
    REALLY?? Macs dont get infections? Well im glad you are versed in all that is computer related. I love when i come across these Mac guys that have so many bad things to say about PC and how great Macs are, and here we are with a debate on flash, but because steve "god" jobs says so, it must be..how about that its not superior, but maybe the market share is so low that why bother. if i were to write destructive code, the last thing im writing for is the minimal market share...lemme see a virus for 100,000 macs or 1,000,000 PC's, because microsoft has about 10x the market share over apple. here's a quote "The number of viruses for the older Apple operating systems, known as Mac OS Classic, varies greatly from source to source, with Apple stating that there are only four known viruses, and independent sources stating there are as many as 63 viruses. It is safe to say that Macs are less likely to be targeted because of low market share and thus a Mac-specific virus could only infect a small proportion of computers (making the effort less desirable)." Or, if thats not enough for you how about companies like symantec or mcafee with their version of anti-virus for macs? One thing is for sure, Macs are almost becoming trendy. KIDS all over are pushing their parents to dump the extra coin on macs due to advertising and what not, but because of this uptrend in Macs sales and market share, you will start seeing more destructive code coming towards Macs. People, im not defending PC, Mac, or Flash, but simply, comments like "Macs do get viruses" are flase and thats part of what is driving the upwards trend of Macs...People, educate yourselves, Macs are good machines with asthetically pleasing designs, but for a pretty penny. but comments like they dont get viruses, they dont break so on and so forth are comments made by morons that dont really no what they are talking about. sorry for the rant..P.s. I love my iphone and look forward to the iPad

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nexxen For This Useful Post:

ItsLil_C (02-21-2010)

Thanks

You're caught up in the hype of the cute Apple commercials buddy. Flash has absolutely nothing to do with viruses, which by this day and age, Windows is just as immune to them. Do some research before posting comments like these. Also, the greater the market share (ie. Windows =85%, Mac=10%) the more viruses it will attract.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

ItsLil_C (02-21-2010)

Dear Mr Jobs... what percentage of the comp market? 10% maybe more but not much... OK Flash may not run well on a mac.. so to fix this the 90% of PC users where flash runs with little or no problem are to change so you...
    MACs are so great why cant you make OSX work with it?

oh i know i forgot the reason MAC are built with specific parts the the OS is written for. love or hate windows it does work with a plethora hardware. I resiously wonder how good OSX would perform if it had to please all the possible combinations of hardware windows can.

Hey Steve, sell the hardware and leave what software i put in it up to me.your not my dad, besides my dad wouldnt anyway.
    "Jane, get me off this crazy thing !!!!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to evolasme For This Useful Post:

ItsLil_C (02-21-2010)

Thanks

He must got something special if he is continuing to talk smack

Funny, iTunes is a CPU hog on my pc...perhaps they should stop using that as well.
    Really?

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

idolpunk (02-19-2010), iRScotty (02-20-2010), moon#pie (02-20-2010), SirTimothy1 (02-19-2010), TooSlo (02-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If we can't have the option to use/not use Flash, I think it's only fair that there be another option out there.
    Hopefully Jobs will make an alternative readily available soon, cuz the trash talking is getting old. Maybe he should be the pioneer in ending the trash talking, lol.

I'm searching for the "You Should Be Slayed for Saying This" rating button frantically but I can't find it...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

ItsLil_C (02-21-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

honestly... i agree with steve. Why put your product at risk even more. If flash is messing up the ipad then why put it on? if they did and you got 90mins.. then there would be a thread of you crying how the battery life is short.. its never winning. the answer is to jailbreak it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would keep a flash toggle off 99% of the time

Thanks
    Honestly...Yeah Kill Flash Get HTML5 It works better then flash
    Last edited by bigboy103; 02-19-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

well i must say. I agree with jobs on this.. Move away from flash.. Why would apple want to allow something to run on their mobile devices when they cant even get the one that runs on a computer to run correctly... Safari and Firefox crashes frequently when you run flash on a mac.
    If adobe knows that flash is buggy on a mac, and uses more power on a mac.. why are putting in all this time developing for mobile devices.. I mean im pretty sure more people have a mac than android.. I agree with jobs when he says the folks at adobe is lazy when you think about it like this..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

apple is just ***... blaming that flash would reduce the battery to 90 mins instead of 10hrs lol thats apple OS fault not utilizing the application in better way by the OS! stop b1tching apple...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy103 View Post
    Honestly...Yeah Kill Flash Get HTML5 It works better then flash

lmao what you will do about flash sites... kill flash and flash sites are down!
    Last edited by PAKIS-RULEZ; 02-19-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    No signature links or spam... only warning

>.> Macs don't have many viruses because 1. More people use Windows 2. More people who actually know what they are doing when they use a PC use windows 3. Apple is a bunch of Nazis who spend practically nothing creating macs then sell them for much higher prices good programmers and people who make viruses aren't dumb build their own PCs for a fraction of the cost 4. Mac isn't mainstreamed enough for the people who develop viruses to be versed in programming on a mac and they just don't see any reason to waste their time when there is like 5 windows users to every 1 mac user.

This is ridiculous. Apple is telling NY Times how to make their site? I suppose next they'll try and tell bands that they can only record their music in .m4a format, which is a format only compatible with itunes, or some sh1t like that.

apple really needs to stop being so full of themselves, jeez

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast