+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Apple Guards" Physically Intimidate Reporter in China

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's no secret that Apple plays things pretty close to the chest. They don't like divulging "secrets" and we know the drill. It's a situation taken somewhat seriously here in
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default "Apple Guards" Physically Intimidate Reporter in China

It's no secret that Apple plays things pretty close to the chest. They don't like divulging "secrets" and we know the drill. It's a situation taken somewhat seriously here in the United States. In China, however, guarding Apple secrets is apparently much more serious and potentially dangerous business - particularly for reporters looking for a story.

I'm alluding to the fact that a Reuters reporter was allegedly physically "attacked" by two guards outside of the Foxconn plant which is believed to have been manufacturing parts for Apple. The reporter was reportedly grabbed and kicked by the guards who sought to detain the man before Chinese police were called and set the man free. By all accounts, the Chinese police were actually friendlier than the "Apple guards" referenced.

Although it isn't necessarily clear how much of this story (if any) is being exaggerated for dramatic effect, the media coverage is clearly playing up the high drama and using the incident to profess the "Iron Curtain" of secrecy behind which Apple operates on both foreign and domestic soil.

Of course, let's be fair. As Reuters alluded to its own coverage of this situation, it's highly unlikely that Steve Jobs personally instructed the guards outside the plant to physically intimidate anyone. Yet it's unfortunate that it had to happen. And, either way, it sort of looks bad for Apple - not to mention renews our belief that Cuppertino always operates in secret and in shadow.

Image via Reuters

Thanks

you do recall the unfortunate situation where that one chinese individual "Commited Suicide" after being accused of stealing a prototype/s of a 3GS? just like the Hill Top Crips. they mean buisness.
    killall Terminal[]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

littleface (02-19-2010), whereswaldo (02-19-2010)

Thanks

watch out for that macintosh mafia, they're killers. Imagine if we had laws less stringent here. I bet mac stores would have laser turrets.

Thanks

^ i sure as heck hope so. it'll keep out all the vagabonds ;]
    killall Terminal[]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

z0mg i wanna steal a secret so i can be chased like jason bourne and do all sorts of incredibly badass things
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    z0mg i wanna steal a secret so i can be chased like jason bourne and do all sorts of incredibly badass things
    in your case you're probably going to get you arse kicked all over the place.

I kid..I kid!!!!!

Thanks

well , it looks like they got their story then ....

Thanks

The secret is not the fact that there are Apple parts being built, its the fact that (cue Charlton Hesten) "Apple parts are made from people" oh the horror
    "Jane, get me off this crazy thing !!!!"

Thanks

I hear that Jackie Chan is Steve Jobs new personal assistant??

I'm your Huckleberry!

Banned
    Thanks

Default People's Republic of Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Of course, let's be fair. As Reuters alluded to its own coverage of this situation, it's highly unlikely that Steve Jobs personally instructed the guards outside the plant to physically intimidate anyone.
    Let's be fair, Steve Jobs didn't and has never personally come out against this type of behavior from their Chinese partners. You can really see the difference in between Apple and Google in how they deal with their Chinese operations.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I know reporter can push the line sometime, but the guards got no right to do something like that.

If I was Steve Jobs. I would be very upset.
    Last edited by tudtran; 02-19-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol @ mac mafia

Apple will protect their secrets at all costs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I know reporter can push the line sometime, but the guards got no right to do something like that.
    Its China, you have no rights.

Green Apple
    Thanks

And Jobs calls Google evil - look in the mirror you twisted ****...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
    And Jobs calls Google evil - look in the mirror you twisted ****...
    He just said that their motto was not correct. Jobs never said Apple wasn't evil. Plus it is Foxconn not Apple. They have many, many contracts with very big companies. They are protecting them all. Even the article is not 100% sure Apple parts are made at that specific assembly. If they lose a high end contract that can mean thousands of jobs will be lost and possible lose of the other companies due to security. This takes place in China, where things are not done the same as any other country.

And did you see Google can now sell power if they wanted to. It was more for them to expand their own power needs without having to check things and also sell the excess power if needed. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...ike-a-utility/
    Last edited by Cer0; 02-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks

A Chinese reporter is ruffed up. Shouldn't he/they be used to this kind of treatment in china.

@rhekt. Someone lives on/near 23rd and 60th in tac-town......;-)
    Last edited by creasy425; 02-20-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost