Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Fix for Mac Pro Overheating Problem

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Fix for Mac Pro Overheating Problem

Apple has just released a software fix for a problem on 2009 Mac Pros with Nehalem-based Intel Xeon processors. The bug caused a 20 percent performance hit when playing audio in Mac OS X, and also caused CPU temperatures to double. Mac Pro Audio Update 1.0 is available for download from Apple, and requires Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Mac Pro users found that when they played music on iTunes, Activity Monitor would report just 1 to 3 percent CPU load, but CPU power draw will increase as much as ten times normal. At the same time, CPU temperatures, which are normally about 30C while idling will rise up to 60C or higher - near what Intel rates as the Nehalem chip's safety limit - with little or no fan activity. The problem could also be triggered by plugging in FireWire or USB-based audio interfaces.

The Mac Pros with Nehalem Xeon were introduced in March 2009 with a 2.66 GHz quad-core processor. In December, the 3.33GHz quad-core model was added to the lineup. Though users with both models of Mac Pro have reported the issue, the download page and the knowledge base article on the Mac Pro Audio Update says that it is specifically for computers that were released in the first half of the year.

A similar issue has also been reported on 27-inch iMacs, in particular when using Logic Studio software. Unlike in the case of the Mac Pro, however, the iMac fans run: in some cases up to 2800 RPM, causing considerable noise.

lol. what happened to mac's getting it right the first time? looks like macs are falling, pc's are stabilizing, and google is gearing up to (attempt) to rape everyone. SIDEWAYS.

Is this a firmware update or what?

Thanks

Would liquid cooling help? Or does Apple not allow it?

Thanks

Quad Core Mac Pro = $2500
    24 inch Apple monitor = $900
    Apple accessories = $600

Watching your $5K+ Mac burn down to the ground = priceless
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

i've been pretty lucky with Apple products. Years ago I had an ipod and the first iPhone I bought had to be exchanged. Three computers and know problems. It does worry me how many times here lately there are stories of hardware and software issues. Make you wonder if their popularity in the last few years is making their quality suffer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Quad Core Mac Pro = $2500
    24 inch Apple monitor = $900
    Apple accessories = $600

Watching your $5K+ Mac burn down to the ground = priceless
    lol...could not have said it any better

Thanks

Well, that's good...

I hope Apple is testing them properly and fixing them. Like how they manufactured the Time Capsule that lasted only 18 months due to manufacturing defect.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 02-11-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

*sigh* ignorance is bliss
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    *sigh* ignorance is bliss
    Ignorance? Hmm..let's see...

When I pay for a $600 PC, or even the cheapest Mac - I would expect (or not be surprised) if these problems arise. But this is the top of the line Mac. When I pay $2.5K or 3.5K (and these are BASE prices - nevermind the processor, memory, hard drive upgrades, etc) I would expect top of the line components and research, testing. If you buy a $15K Kia and the radiator breaks it's not that of a big deal. Now see the same thing happening to a $600K Ferrari Enzo. See the difference?

I'm being sarcastic when I refer to the Mac Pro "melting down," it most likely won't. But I'm just saying that if I owned this piece of equipment I'd be a little disappointed.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So what is going to happen with the new Quad Duo cores? It's going to look like Chernobyl all over the world. I think it is funny that iTunes is acting up on Macs. I always related that to a Windows issue.