+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macworld Holds Court for Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Microsoft has revealed its next version of Office for Mac - creatively titled Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. I wonder how long it took them to come up with that?
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Macworld Holds Court for Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

Microsoft has revealed its next version of Office for Mac - creatively titled Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. I wonder how long it took them to come up with that? Nonetheless, Microsoft opted for a Macworld forum in which to reveal new details about the popular suite, which is expected to ship at the end of this year.

As we understand it, Office 2011 for Mac will serve up ribbon support for applications. According to Microsoft, the ribbon will be comparable to Office 2010 (for Windows), but this time around with Mac-centric support.

At Macworld today, Microsoft made it patently clear that they have their laser-like focus trained on three objectives with the release of Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. Understandably, better compatibility across platforms is the chief goal, followed by improved collaboration resources and tools, and, finally, a touched up and more sophisticated user interface.

In case you're wondering (and forgot from the earlier announcement), yes, the 2011 suite comes with Outlook for Mac, a suitable replacement for "Entourage" as Office's official e-mail client. Although many Apple fans find it cumbersome to get excited about any Microsoft offering, Office for Mac 2011 will enable Mac users to share files and collaborate on a wide variety of projects and documents through Microsoft's SharePoint, SkyDrive, and Office Web Apps.

Pretty nifty, huh?

Image via MacWorld

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    sick

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Neat but meh. I have tried to get away from as many MS products as possible

Green Apple
    Thanks

did they post a release date for it? .. I'm new to mac's and its nice to have the office ribbon, for documents that i create over on office 07 on windows..

Cross platform is great IMO. It gives me more options and choices, where they should be.. in my hands.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Mp3Supply. Cross platforms are great and i'm glad that they're working on a new and better version. But, i'm more interested in messenger for Mac. Pllleeeeaaase add video sooooooon. I think the release date is next month or April.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I agree with Mp3Supply. Cross platforms are great and i'm glad that they're working on a new and better version. But, i'm more interested in messenger for Mac. Pllleeeeaaase add video sooooooon. I think the release date is next month or April.
    Google the messenger 8 beta. I've been using it for over a year now with video and no problems.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

let's just hope that Outlook for Mac will be far more stable than Entourage, which crashes more than any app I have ever used.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Geez, still no OneNote. That sux; not a huge fan overall of the Office Suite, but OneNote IMO is the best application ever produced by MS and really has no replacement. Evernote and all that is ok, but I've never used a note taking program as good and versatile as OneNote. With it headed to the web it's just gonna get better. I would love to see it on Mac so I could share back and forth.

Thanks

Default Microsoft Access?
    I'm sure the the answer is no and there may be a good reason but any chance of a Mac version of Access?

Thanks

Good for those who are used to Office Suite.
    For me, I have iWorks so I'm not changing office applications on my Mac.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about backwards compatibility? Or will I have to update when my school updates.

Thanks

ehhh...dont need it
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To all the Office for Mac haters in here, Mac would be sunk without Office. You owe your OS to it. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I think most window to mac converters think they must use office because they are familiar with it. I used Office on my mac for about 6 months on my first macbook. I haven't installed it on any other of my macs since.