+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wall Street: AT&T to Keep iPhone/iPad Exclusivity

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
AT&T has long been the cause of complaints, fairly or unfairly, about the performance of its network. The rumors that Apple would be adding a second carrier this year were
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wall Street: AT&T to Keep iPhone/iPad Exclusivity

AT&T has long been the cause of complaints, fairly or unfairly, about the performance of its network. The rumors that Apple would be adding a second carrier this year were met with some excitement, even to the point that a Verizon announcement was expected at the iPad unveiling last month. When such an announcement didn't come - and, in fact, Apple announced a deal with AT&T to provide WiFi and 3G services to the iPad - those rumors took a serious hit. Now, a financial analysts are saying they expect Apple to not only stay with AT&T, but that the exclusive deal might even be extended at least a year.

Vijay Jayant, an analyst with Barclays Capital issued a report on AT&T today which was covered by AppleInsider. He wrote that the financial markets are feeling bullish on AT&T after the iPad announcement, writing that the "launch of Apple's iPad on AT&T's network is a vote of confidence in AT&T's network by the equipment maker." He said that Apple's choice of AT&T to carry its "second major communications product reflects Apple's bias for the global GSM platform."

Similarly, an analyst told Andy Patrizio of Internet News that Apple was unlikely to roll out a separate iPhone or iPad model for Verizon's CDMA network. Instead, according to this analyst, Apple would continue to focus instead on the GSM-based UMTS 3G system currently in use on the iPhone and iPad until AT&T and Verizon both roll out 4G/LTE technology, which should happen over the next three years or so.

And Pacific Crest analyst Steve Clement is saying that the iPad deal is a sign "the tone from Apple is improving," with Steve Jobs and other top Apple execs publicly supporting AT&T. Clement says that most people on Wall Street are banking on AT&T keeping iPhone and iPad exclusivity at least for the rest of this year. He also noted that AT&T's plan to spend more money on its network in 2010 is an indication that the carrier is expecting to keep exclusivity and wants to build the capacity to support it.

Credit Suisse, furthermore, predicted last week that there is a 75 percent chance AT&T will remain the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the US. in 2010, though the iPhone would inevitably be available on multiple carriers.

Unlike tech writers, financial analysts are paid large sums of money by people with even larger sums of money to get this stuff right. Obviously, nobody but Apple and AT&T execs really know what the future will hold, but the fact that the Wall Street types are saying pretty much the same thing at this point is a strong sign that AT&T is going to hang on to exclusivity for at least a bit longer.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Not that I would leave AT&T but I would like the competition of Verizon's iPhone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (02-10-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

that whole exclusivity rumor was laid to rest the minute the ipad had ATT network packages. AT&T isn't stupid, they will do what they have to do. Remember years ago, they went down because they let the rest of the technology surpass them......but they eventually bounced back and bought everyone out. Happens once and it's a lesson learned....they will correct network problems and keep Apple happy.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

With them staying with AT&T, I suspect a better chance of a subsidized price for the iPad in the future - similar to what happened with the iPhone.

However, in the future when there is a Verizon model, the competition should breed demands from both AT&T and Verizon customers for more innovation and changes.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

That's a punch in the throat. Monopolies are never good for the consumer. Bring on the competition I say.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good news for this iPhone user. So far I have been very pleased with the AT&T service and connection. With AT&T announcement they will introduce 4G next year along with the 3.5G coming this year makes me a happy camper

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love how all these organizations ***** that it's no fair that the iPhone is only available for at&t yet the motorolla droid is only on verizon, the sidekick is exclusive to tmobile...you don't hear people ******** about that.The iPhone only being on at&t is just a case of jelousy, nothing more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@ gt1948

I'm using "3.5G" right now and 4G is looking at 2012 for AT&T but I'm sick of AT&T and since unlocks are harder idk if the iPhone will stay in my future

Thanks

^^ Also proves the iphone is the best their is!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    I love how all these organizations ***** that it's no fair that the iPhone is only available for at&t yet the motorolla droid is only on verizon, the sidekick is exclusive to tmobile...you don't hear people ******** about that.The iPhone only being on at&t is just a case of jelousy, nothing more.
    Agreed, you totally made a good point. But on the other hand the iphone 3g/3gs is the most popular smartphone right now, so why not cut the exclusive rights and get offer it to more people.
    Last edited by goodgod2; 02-10-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Bleh, I knew this would happen. I told you guys not to get too excited about Verizon...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

This logic is all kinds of wrong.

I hate to call someone out and then not explain myself, but I would only be explaining to those few that don't understand -- and at this point if you don't understand then I don't care what you think anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barno909 View Post
    That's a punch in the throat. Monopolies are never good for the consumer. Bring on the competition I say.
    I knew we would not get the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, anytime soon on Verizon. I don't care how many potential people on Verizon would purchase an iPhone/iPad, so long as they are CDMA, it doesn't make sense to release an iPhone/iPad on a technology that's on its way out. Once VZW goes to 4G/LTE, then they will get the iPhone and iPad.

I enjoy my iPhone on AT&T and have great service, including tethering , but will gladly welcome a VZW iPhone so we can get better plans/rates.

Amen, brotha, amen. Show me forum/article/blog/etc, where people are complaining that they don't have the Sidekick, Droid, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    This logic is all kinds of wrong.

I hate to call someone out and then not explain myself, but I would only be explaining to those few that don't understand -- and at this point if you don't understand then I don't care what you think anyway.
    please enlighten us then.
    Last edited by NSXrebel; 02-10-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
    that whole exclusivity rumor was laid to rest the minute the ipad had ATT network packages. AT&T isn't stupid, they will do what they have to do. Remember years ago, they went down because they let the rest of the technology surpass them......but they eventually bounced back and bought everyone out. Happens once and it's a lesson learned....they will correct network problems and keep Apple happy.

well said my friend.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I work for at&t mobility
    I do sales for at&t. I sell these things all day every day. Im hoping at&t will be exclusive for many more years. Although it'll prolly only be this year they keep exclusivity. at&t is investing over 18 BILLION dollars this year into their network. Only 5 BILLION was needed to be spent in order to "keep up" with Verizon. At&t will be coming stronger than ever with the new 4G. No other US Cell Carrier can compete.

oo3
    Thanks

I get 5+ dropped calls a day here in Portland (and yes, it's at&t's network because each time, I'm talking to my wife who shares the family plan with me)

I would drop at&t in a heartbeat once they announce the iPhone on another American carrier - and I guess I'm willing to wait another 2-3 years...I can't leave my iPhone for that long.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barno909 View Post
    Agreed.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trupimp714 View Post
    I do sales for at&t. I sell these things all day every day. Im hoping at&t will be exclusive for many more years. Although it'll prolly only be this year they keep exclusivity. at&t is investing over 18 BILLION dollars this year into their network. Only 5 BILLION was needed to be spent in order to "keep up" with Verizon. At&t will be coming stronger than ever with the new 4G. No other US Cell Carrier can compete.
    Only 5 Billion was needed to spend in order to catch up to Verizon NOT "keep up". If 18 Billion is spent on AT&T's network that is great news for the iPhone and in my opinion any money spent on improving the netwok is a step in the right direction. However, in terms of catching up with Verizon, AT&T needs to spend as much or more than Verizon. 18 Billion is a big number, but its hard to tell just how big unless you compare it against other major U.S. carriers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    I knew we would not get the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, anytime soon on Verizon. I don't care how many potential people on Verizon would purchase an iPhone/iPad, so long as they are CDMA, it doesn't make sense to release an iPhone/iPad on a technology that's on its way out. Once VZW goes to 4G/LTE, then they will get the iPhone and iPad.

EXACTALY!! This is a perfect statement. This is my new sig.
    Last edited by ty22; 02-10-2010 at 03:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

If verizon got the iPhone and or ipad there'd be forums coming up everywhere complaining they suck just like what's happening with AT&T right now. So I think ending the deal between the 2 would be alright for both. But if not, I'm happy because I actually like AT&T