+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Six-Core Mac Pro in Weeks?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple hasn't upgraded its top of the line Mac Pro desktop system since March of last year, when the Intel quad-core Xeon 3500 equipped model was introduced. Apple had the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Six-Core Mac Pro in Weeks?

Apple hasn't upgraded its top of the line Mac Pro desktop system since March of last year, when the Intel quad-core Xeon 3500 equipped model was introduced. Apple had the first desktop to use the new processor, and intel and Apple are believed to have an arrangement allowing Apple first use of their new Core i7-980X and 970X Extreme Edition when it is released. According the the French site HardMac, that release is imminent, with Mac Pro systems featuring the new six-core chip to begin rolling off the assembly line within weeks.

HardMac has been following the new chip's development closely and its sources have been saying consistently that the hexacore processor, based on the 32-nm Gulftown platform, would be coming to Apple's high-end desktop. While it was originally thought that the chip would carry the "Core i9" nameplate, the Chinese site PCOnline revealed it as the "Core i7 Extreme Edition" back in December.

The name of this hexacore CPU is now know[n], Core i7-980X, another cheaper (and slower) model should also be available, Core i7-970. According to [different] sources, this new CPU should become available in March. So, if Apple and Intel are still engaged in a tight partnership, Apple might have the exclusivity of such CPU (as for the Nehalem Xeon) for a couple of days or weeks.
    The Core i7 is targeted at hobbyists and gamers, lacking support for the dual-processor mainboards and registered RAM that would be needed for high-end workstation and server use. A six-core Xeon 5600 series processor, with higher clockspeeds and more advanced features, has been expected to be released at around the same time as the Core i7 Extreme Edition.

HardMac also asserts that the new Mac Pros will ship with Radeon HD 5870 graphics cards. Macs had been using NVIDIA graphics processors in its iMacs and Mac Pros, but Apple and NVIDIA reportedly came into conflict over hardware defects in NVIDIA's boards. For its part, Intel filed suit against the graphics hardware manufacturer last year to keep it from developing chipsets for its Core processors with integrated memory functionality.

Green Apple
    Thanks

doope

Thanks

^ yes this is very doope
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Rather than make a six core, Why not stick with quad core and upgrade the cpu to 7 or higher... I don't understand 6 cores running at 2.8 speeds?
    Last edited by Bluprint; 02-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Computers have officially reached the point of - "why?" Buying a 1.6GHz dual core is like buying a Civic Type S and buying this new 6 core is like buying a Lambo.

There really is no point. Both get you from a to b pretty quickly but the 1.6 dual core costs a heck of a lot less.

I love that we are still pressing forward and that PC and Apples' war is still raging. But come on! How many horses do we really need? LOL!

Cool technology... but in terms of practicality... last year's bottom of the line Mac or PC is plenty powerful enough for what I do. (hence the 1.6 dual core computer I bought for $600 brand new)

tim

ps: I'm not hating - I'm just being practical.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Because of heat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Rather than make a six core, Why not stick with quad core and upgrade the cpu to 7 or higher... I don't understand 6 cores running at 2.8 speeds?
    Well, sort of.
    Running a faster clock speed means more heat...and since heat is the enemy of all things electronic, running more cores with lower clock speeds gets you the same or better performance with less of the bad stuff. And with the multi-core optimization of new OS', it's just going to make more sense to have more cores.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post

well i'm hating. this is ridiculous. has anyone (mac user) ever felt the need to run 3 copies of crysis at the same time? no?

then why use a computer with whateverthefucknumberofcoreswecanfitinthistrendyal uminum box?
    Last edited by lolcats1; 02-02-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: sex, lots of it

Thanks

Why haven't we heard anything about Apple upgrading their Macbook Pros?
    I'm getting really impatient. Can anyone shed some light; please?
    If I've been helpful, please take the time to press the "Thanks" button.

Device: Factory-Unlocked Apple iPhone 3G[S] (Rev. 3)
    Firmware: 3.1.2 l Modem Firmware: 05.11.07
    Colour: White l RAM: 256MB l HDD: 16GB
    iPhone Exploit Status: Blackra1n'ed

- End -

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    well i'm hating. this is ridiculous. has anyone (mac user) ever felt the need to run 3 copies of crysis at the same time? no?

then why use a computer with whateverthefucknumberofcoreswecanfitinthistrendyal uminum box?
    you say that now but programs continue to be more processor hungry go ahead and look at the top of the line pc/mac from say 10 years ago. our phones have a better processor but back then everyone was like wow so fast and look at that green on green txt amazing.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

I need a Mac Pro.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    I need a Mac Pro.
    you need a high class prostitute.

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    you say that now but programs continue to be more processor hungry go ahead and look at the top of the line pc/mac from say 10 years ago. our phones have a better processor but back then everyone was like wow so fast and look at that green on green txt amazing.
    you had a cell phone 10 years ago? lolcats
    Last edited by lolcats1; 02-02-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

you need a high class prostitute.
    Wow. You're cool. Piece of ****
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    Wow. You're cool. Piece of ****
    because taking shots at other users always makes things better. xD

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Computers have officially reached the point of - "why?" Buying a 1.6GHz dual core is like buying a Civic Type S and buying this new 6 core is like buying a Lambo.

There really is no point. Both get you from a to b pretty quickly but the 1.6 dual core costs a heck of a lot less.

I love that we are still pressing forward and that PC and Apples' war is still raging. But come on! How many horses do we really need? LOL!

Cool technology... but in terms of practicality... last year's bottom of the line Mac or PC is plenty powerful enough for what I do. (hence the 1.6 dual core computer I bought for $600 brand new)

tim

Type S? Are you in England or something? ... Lucky bastard. The US only has Si and a rare Mugen or two. I yearn for a Type R in California, but it won't happen lol

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The most overpriced Mac! Windows 7 with them specs would be awesome.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then here's an idea, don't ever buy a computer with six core's, hopefully that won't be too hard for you, but from the way that you act and talk to others I'm thinking it might be. If someone else wants to get one then they'll get one, there's no need to hate on them just because you wouldn't ever buy one...just goes to show how mature you are.

Anyway, that's awesome, very very fast

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I spent so much less building my comp.

Motherboard: Asus P6t v2 deluxe
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Graphics Cards: bft tech GTX 260 OC & PNY GTX 260 212 cores
    Memory: 6GB Corsair dominator DDR3 1600fsb
    Sound Card:X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Harddrives: 150gb velociraprtor.
    Case: Haf 922

It is also going to support the six core gpu on the lga 1366 socket. I'm just not going to have to spend so much.

Thanks

Default Awesomeness
    I don't understand the complaining...really? If it's going to be too much money, don't buy it...if it's too much for you too comprehend, don't buy it. Why so much processing? I don't know...maybe because some people actually use their mac pros for business purposes other than personal reasons. Entertainment business especially. Try running several programs at once working on footage/soundtrack/etc. for a feature length film and you'll quickly understand why this is obviously a big deal. It's a multitasking beast.

This is a businessman's obvious choice. If you plan on running basic programs then this is not your cup of tea. But seriously, there's no point in complaining about the technology. If you have the money, and a career dealing with this type of technology, there's really not much to complain about.

OMG something NEW is out that's going to outdate what I have and it cost money?!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iDeadman For This Useful Post:

dhamien (02-03-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iDeadman View Post
    I don't understand the complaining...really? If it's going to be too much money, don't buy it...if it's too much for you too comprehend, don't buy it. Why so much processing? I don't know...maybe because some people actually use their mac pros for business purposes other than personal reasons. Entertainment business especially. Try running several programs at once working on footage/soundtrack/etc. for a feature length film and you'll quickly understand why this is obviously a big deal. It's a multitasking beast.

This is a businessman's obvious choice. If you plan on running basic programs then this is not your cup of tea. But seriously, there's no point in complaining about the technology. If you have the money, and a career dealing with this type of technology, there's really not much to complain about.

OMG something NEW is out that's going to outdate what I have and it cost money?!
    exactly this is intended to people that do rendering, video encoding and all that.. work were each extra core reduces the time the computer is working and that you can't do anything..

the only proble is what apple will charge for these, because if the street price is well over 1k i can't imagine what apple will charge