Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Fight For "iPad" Rages On

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple's Fight For "iPad" Rages On

If anything is more frustrating than our wait for the iPad's release, it must be Apple's struggle to secure a trademark that is believed to carry the name of the long awaited tablet, which is expected to be formally unveiled this week. According to PC World this morning:

Whilst a company called Slate Computing -- thought to be a front company for Apple -- registered the iPad trademark in Canada, Europe and Hong Kong in July last year, Fujitsu still owns the iPad trademark for handheld computing in the U.S., although appeared less than committed to keeping it.
    Consequently, it appears that Apple will not have a lock on the iPad trademark ahead of their January 27th event in San Francisco. Nonetheless, Apple is jumping all over the apparent reality that Fujitsu has all but totally "abandoned" the iPad trademark by not doing anything with it. At least that seems to be Apple's theory, though records indicate that Fujitsu once again aimed to retain the iPad trademark as recently as six months ago.

Apple has now filed three petitions to extend the deadline to February 28 to take the name away from Fujitsu. Apple has until that date to submit evidence it is the rightful owner of the iPad trademark.
    No one knows for certain if the iPad designation is meant for the tablet or perhaps some other product or service Apple may have in the works. All that is known with regard to this situation is that Apple is hungry for this trademark like no other. So while its significance to us may be minimal, it is obviously of great importance to Cupertino.

Incredibly (although I find this difficult to believe), some analysts believe that Apple may not have yet officially decided on the tablet's name. If legal wrangling over the next 48 hours fails to secure the "iPad" name for Apple, the company could resort to "iSlate" or "iTablet" as the device's name for the big reveal on Wednesday.

Image via KR Connect

I don't like any of those names, i think Apple would pick a name more like Mac Touch or maybe MacPad
    iSlate, iTablet, and iPad sound un-apple-esque

it will be called the iEXist of course
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It should be called "iDontgivashit"!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pimpylongslapins For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (01-25-2010), jcal08 (01-25-2010), rivalriver (01-24-2010)

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

MacTouch
    iTouchMac :P
    MacBook Touch
    it could even be TrackPad
    or the old iBook

iSlate and iTablet dont have that apple ring to them
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

ibook or macbook touch
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

^iMacTouch
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the MacPad name. It sounds Apple-ish.

^AppleSLice ;']
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

iTouch
    haha really iPod touch shouldn't be called itouch but veryone called them that

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hmmm I think they do not want iTouch because since it is not a phone to call others, it become iTouchmyself.

iSlate, youSlate, WeAllSlate....

See definition 8 at Slate Definition | Definition of Slate at Dictionary.com

I think that one could be a mistake.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

MacBook Touch would be cool name if it runs full SL, which I doubt.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Touch?

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I believe iSlate sounds like a winner. Really speaks volumes of the size, shape, and even has that timeless appeal to it.

iPad sounds too close to iPod. Apple is going to keep the "i" prefix and not the "Mac" one because they want to appeal to the iPod crowd, a bigger demographic than the mac crowd. And besides, they already have the mac crowd drooling over this still-mythical device.

iPad sounds like a hick saying iPod
    "hey ma! check out this here ipad i gots from the rich kid"
    So I prison break my phone and use Chlamydia to install un-padlocked applications, then I somehow use a Snowboard to change the way my African Safari looks?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spenny For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (01-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone remz08's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spenny View Post
    iPad sounds like a hick saying iPod
    "hey ma! check out this here ipad i gots from the rich kid"
    exactly what I thought. I think iSlate may take the cake on this one.

iPad is a horrible name but I'm sure it will fit the poor excuse for a tablet computer that they announce as well..... No Photoshop.... No Dice.(Also No USB ports...WTF???) I save money and buy a kindle or an Etch-a-sketch.

No Photoshop? No USB?

It hasn't been announced yet - where do you get your information?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.