+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple To Seize Opportunity from German IE Crackdown?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
If there was ever a time for Apple to blitz the German market with Mac vs. PC advertisements, that time would be now. Chances are, even the German government would
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple To Seize Opportunity from German IE Crackdown?

If there was ever a time for Apple to blitz the German market with Mac vs. PC advertisements, that time would be now. Chances are, even the German government would get behind the marketing campaign. That's the logical inference, of course, based on the BBC report this weekend. In order to "protect security," the German population is being warned about the "hazards" of using Internet Explorer. And they're even being advised to find a new browser... and quick.

The warning from the Federal Office for Information Security comes after Microsoft admitted IE was the weak link in recent attacks on Google's systems. Microsoft rejected the warning, saying that the risk to users was low and that the browsers' increased security setting would prevent any serious risk.
    Nonetheless, the German government isn't taking any comfort in reassurances from Microsoft, which proposed that the aforementioned attacks on Google were by "highly motivated people with a very specific agenda."

Naturally, some are wondering if Apple smells blood in the water and will ramp up some sort of media bombardment of Mac ads in the German market. The blogosphere has lit up tonight with Apple die-hards taking every conceivable shot at IE possible in hopes of converting a stronghold of "nervous German PC users" into "safe and sound Mac users."

However, Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet. "This is a vulnerability that was announced in the last couple of days. Microsoft have no patch yet and the implication is that this is the same one that exploited on the attacks on Google earlier this week," he said.
    Regardless of what Apple may do (assuming that they will actually do anything), this news is bad for Microsoft and will likely resonate far beyond German borders and make worldwide computer owners consider a switch from IE to another popular broswer - something that is steadily taking place across the global landscape anyway.

In case you're wondering, Apple has not formally commented on the matter. But you certainly know they're aware of the situation...

Image via areyoustupidorsomething

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Most of the people I know uses Firefox anyways or use Google version. Safari is not as good as either one of these two browsers.
    Last edited by unison999; 01-17-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Most of the people I know uses Firefox anyways or use Google version. Safari is not as good as either one of these browsers.
    But, Safari has better security than IE, however, it is not superior like Google Chrome and FireFox. Is there anyone who uses BigFoot Explorer?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    But, Safari has better security than IE, however, it is not superior like Google Chrome and FireFox. Is there anyone who uses BigFoot Explorer?
    I do when I check my hotmail email account because I am too lazy to open it in firefox or doing updates.

Thanks

Haha.... IE is in the trash were it belongs!

Thanks

Haha...I'm a Mac and loving it!!!
    I've never liked IE anyways...dropped it (ages ago) the moment I found FF. I currently use FF, Chrome, and Opera , and sometimes (though rarely) Safari.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I mostly use firefox. I like that much better than Safari even on my MBP. I won't be installing chrome since i don't see a use for it. Firefox does a good enough job as it is why switch?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm on Firefox right now. I like Google Chrome also, but they still in beta face. So, not all the plug in are working.

Thanks

Firefox is doing what everyone else, (including safari and chrome) are still trying to figure out. chrome is the fastest, but doesn't support all ma plug ins. (mostly download helper)

Thanks

never use explorer so im not worried. i've allways been satisfied with safari. why change.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

gotta get a new browser
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I'm on Firefox right now. I like Google Chrome also, but they still in beta face. So, not all the plug in are working.
    Google Chrome hasn't been beta for like a year. It's already on 4.x in fact. Plugins just aren't something they cared much about, at least not yet.