+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Psystar Is Back From The Dead... Again?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Mac clone maker Psystar is like a monster from a bad 1980's horror flick. It just won't die. No matter how many times we think Apple and the legal system
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Psystar Is Back From The Dead... Again?

Mac clone maker Psystar is like a monster from a bad 1980's horror flick. It just won't die. No matter how many times we think Apple and the legal system have pounded the final nail into Psystar's coffin, the copycat monster keeps waking up and evading the graveyard to live another day. From Engadget:

We're still not clear on whether Psystar is still in business, or if it's selling anything other than T-shirts, but the would-be Mac cloner isn't totally out of the game yet: it's filed an official notice of appeal in the California court, which means it's going to try and fight that decisive victory and injunction won by Apple a month ago.
    Psystar is officially hanging on by a thread. But the tenacious knock-off artists are going to persist until they legally can't do anything else. For now, while there is still a "hope" - no matter how minimal or dismal - Psystar remains committed to exhausting every alternative available to them. That's quite a change of initial tone since last December when the company agreed to cough up nearly three million in a "partial settlement." The subsequent injunction, however, all but put Psystar out of business permanently.

But in dramatic fashion, late this week Psystar resurfaced to file a "notice of appeal" over the injunction presently restricting the company from distributing and selling its hardware imbued with Apple's operating system.

Just based on the simple open-and-shut legal reasoning involved in the decision -- surprise, you can't copy, modify, and resell a copyrighted work without permission -- we'd say this appeal is a long shot, but we didn't go to Harvard Law School like Psystar attorney Eugene Action.
    Even if by some unprecedented miracle Psystar is allowed to re-open for business, it's not exactly clear what they still have in their inventory to sell. If Psystar is only going to be in the business of selling T-shirts, the company has a good chance of keeping its digital doors open. Otherwise, it seems Psystar doesn't have any other legal legs upon which to stand.

Let's be honest: we never, ever, want this story to end.
    Image via Engadget

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

lol

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

How stupid of Pystar. This is an open and shut case like he said. I wish they would just put them out of business and not be able to bring this crap up back into court. You're job is done Pystar..get over it and move on.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default I hope Pystar wins this.....
    Microsoft doesn't tell people they can't buy copies of XP, Windows 7, etc. and load them on machines to sell. Why can Apple say companies can't buy legitimate copies of OSX and load it onto a machine and sell it? Apple, wile making great products, if someone can take an OS, and add it to a machine for a cheaper price, why can't a company do it? Isn't that what competition is all about? Someone making something cheaper, for more people to have access to, would seem like a good bet to me.

Is it strictly b/c Apple doesn't want to support non-Mac machines?

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol Eugene Action is such an amazing name. Kinda like naming your kid Dre and then making him grow up to be a doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Why cant they just die silently?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

they're like the loud drunk chick at the party falling all over the place
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plotkin35 View Post
    Microsoft doesn't tell people they can't buy copies of XP, Windows 7, etc. and load them on machines to sell. Why can Apple say companies can't buy legitimate copies of OSX and load it onto a machine and sell it? Apple, wile making great products, if someone can take an OS, and add it to a machine for a cheaper price, why can't a company do it? Isn't that what competition is all about? Someone making something cheaper, for more people to have access to, would seem like a good bet to me.

Is it strictly b/c Apple doesn't want to support non-Mac machines?
    They are modifying the OS to operate on the cheaper machines. And that you cant do without permission.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, I've paid about a gazillion dollars for Apple products in the last 10 years, and also spent $50 on Rebel EFI. It works. Great. I still think a real Mac is way better though, and will continue to buy them, when I can afford it. This year it'll be another iPhone, and an iSlate (or whatever it's called).

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Its kind of sad, im betting psystar cant pay the $3m settlement if their willing to pay so much more money in legal costs to avoid having to pay anything.
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Look it at this way. More options is better

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

They dont have a leg to stand on but they've got heart...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...