+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Working on Home Power Management, Mood Sensing Software

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Looking at Apple's recent patent applications is one way that industry observers try to get a sense of what Apple is interested in. The most recently revealed patents show that
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Working on Home Power Management, Mood Sensing Software

Looking at Apple's recent patent applications is one way that industry observers try to get a sense of what Apple is interested in. The most recently revealed patents show that the answer is increasingly "everything." AppleInsider details today a few newly available patent applications that Apple has filed: one for home power consumption management, and another, somewhat more exotic one that involves a method to detect a user's emotional state and tailor a playlist to their mood.

Combining powerline networking - which uses your home's electrical wiring system to carry data - with fine-grained management software, Apple's "Intelligent Power Monitoring" patent application describes a system that will use telemetry from networked devices such as computers and "smart" appliances to determine how much power is needed to perform certain tasks. It will then present the homeowner with a "dashboard" that will allow them to tailor their energy usage to keep electricity cost within preset limits. The system will allow a homeowner to define fairly sophisticated parameters for their energy cost and consumption patterns:

The cost of power can vary based on a number of factors, including for example the time of day, week or month, the consumer's tier or type of service, the amount of power previously consumed by the consumer, alternate sources of power used by the consumer (e.g., solar cells used during the day), or any other suitable criteria.
    Patently Apple notes the similarity between this technology and Intel's Home Energy Management Dashboard concept that the chipmaker featured at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Intel CEO's Paul Otellini mentioned in his keynote that "intelligent systems have the potential to reduce the household energy consumption by 31%."

Another of Apple's patents describes a method of detecting a user's mood, using some kind of of capacitor, and creating a sort of smart playlist to match that mood. The sensor is described as being located either on the media player or "within another device that may be peripheral to the electronic device" (a mood ring?), and transmitting the capacitance value of the user's skin. The media player would then take that data and compare it to other capacitance values it got from the user, or to a pre-programmed set of capacitance values that have been determined to correspond to particular moods. Once it got a read on the user's mood, the media player would be able to generate a custom playlist based on that mood.

...it also would be beneficial to provide systems and methods for suggesting media based upon similar moods previously experienced by the user and the user's media selections with respect to those previous moods.
    It's not clear from the patent application or any of the reports on it when this technology might go into production, if ever. It does show, though, that Apple has an aggressive focus far afield from its original incarnation as a computer manufacturer.

image via Patently Apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting.

Green Apple
    Thanks

One step closer to Apple iHome/house

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I've gotta get an iHouse!!! Also look at this {Link removed Do not Spam} on Hackint0uch (Our website!). Click the title on the post.
    Last edited by A Retired Mod; 01-14-2010 at 04:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bill Gates already has a house equipped with technology that will change the paintings on his walls and play certain music depending on how he is feeling and that was as far back as '06 and he's not the only one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Robbed after leaving apple store, my new mac was stolen! Forgot my guns and scotch to enhance liquid courage and protection...
    WHAT KIND OF MUSIC WILL THIS PLAY TO PLACATE MY MOOD??

Thanks

^^Rob Zombie...
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

cant have it. my wife will really know whats going on at that point LOL
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...