+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3D Capabilities for the Apple Tablet?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Rumors of an Apple tablet have lingered for so long that one must wonder if Apple encountered so many hitches on the path of development that the product's initial rumored
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default 3D Capabilities for the Apple Tablet?

Rumors of an Apple tablet have lingered for so long that one must wonder if Apple encountered so many hitches on the path of development that the product's initial rumored launch last year had to be delayed until January of this year. If true, it's an equally fair assumption to wonder if the "iSlate" is so richly packed with cool features and capabilities that a January 2010 launch may actually be ahead of schedule rather than behind. Just this week, for example, we're getting new information about the supposed forthcoming tablet that could reveal 3D components to the device.

The Baltimore Sun escalated the rumor mill yesterday with a provocative report raising the prospect of the tablet's multi-functional aspects, one of which could be an advanced e-reader that may wholly shake Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's nook out of their respective comfort zones.

According to news reports, the device -- which might or might not be called iSlate -- could be unveiled as early as this month, and shipped in March. No one has the specs, but reports portray the device as larger than the other e-readers, and more expensive. Then again, the iWhatever will likely do much more than the first generation of e-readers -- think, music and videos. And it will likely have Apple's signature coolness, which consumers seem happy to pay Steve Jobs for.
    Although the expansive community of Apple fans would likely appreciate a cool e-reader offering from Cupertino in the form of the tablet, the possibility of 3D graphics and navigation effectively blow the e-reader functionality out of the water. Given the news of Apple submitting patents for some form of 3D operating system navigation, the speculation about such technology finding a home in the tablet are quite understandable and not just another crazy, unsubstantiated rumor.

As if that weren't enough to make Apple-ites hyperventilate, Baltimore Sun tech blogger Gus Sentementes notes that the device could have some form of 3-D graphics. That would certainly add some punch to graphic novels! (By coincidence, the Apple speculation comes as ESPN has announced a new 3D network that will broadcast 85 games in its first year.) With 3D televisions coming on the market this year, and the popularity of movies such as "Avatar," it's just a matter of time before e-readers give us similar versions of Elizabeth Bennet.
    Okay, okay... I, too, share your frustration. Hearing so much about what the Apple tablet "might" offer has been totally overexposed and utterly beaten to death in the tech blogosphere. But as we get closer to Apple's big media event and suspected new product announcement, the rumor mill likely hasn't even hit its stride yet as more eyeballs than ever are directed at Apple and what the company has in store for later this month.

Image via Apple Finder

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (01-06-2010), JonnyBoy333 (01-06-2010)

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think apple will top that tablet/tablet pc that was announced earlier today it looked nice with the linux hybrid system and then the windows 7 basic when you you plug the keyboard and track pad in

and im taking a graphics course next year so im looking for a good tablet computer so i think this will be year i get one
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

just bring it out already...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    just bring it out already...
    Yes! So many rumours its getting annoying... or maybe its making me more anxious for a release lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

There are a LOT of 3D channels coming out soon, and the company that nails it out of the gate first will probably make a killing. Now that we live in a post-Avatar world, millions more people have been exposed to what 3D can offer.

That would be an amazing step in the right direction if they make the Tablet 3D-Ready. Apple would make a killing in the royalties for 3rd-party polarized glasses (for 3D viewing) alone.

Actually, it sounds too good to be true.

Keep in mind, people, this is the same company that couldn't put a camera in the iPod Touch 3G.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

rkisling (01-06-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Just bring the damn thing out! I bet it sucks as well. I hope they announce iPhone OS 4.0 at the same time

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Interesting, but I will wait until I see the unveiling before jumping to any conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Just bring the damn thing out! I bet it sucks as well. I hope they announce iPhone OS 4.0 at the same time
    You sound like a child with these remarks on every thread.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Is it too much to ask that ALL rumours on the expected "iPlate", 'iMactab" "iTab", or "iwhatever" and what it will potentially be able to do or what's inside it are dropped henceforth and let us patiently wait for the unveiling??! It's becoming annoying!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Interesting, but I will wait until I see the unveiling before jumping to any conclusions.

You sound like a child with these remarks on every thread.
    He might sound childish but the boy has a good point. How could it not "suck"? There have been too many rumors for this damn tablet thing not to be anticlimactic...

Whatever this thing is called or has in it won't live up to the rumors and/or the image you have created in your little head.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

OMG THINK ABOUT IT

Steve Jobs
    in
    3D
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I doubt it'll have 3D capabilities. Apple tends to bring out bogged down devices before they beef it up in later reiterations.

The iSlate, or whatever, will most likely have similar capabilities to the first generation e-readers, but will also have iPhone/iPod Touch capabilities as well. Nothing really new, just all in one nice sleek device.
    #eli7e revived me

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I bet there won't even be a tablet announcement this year.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's quite intresting. I hope it come out pretty soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I doubt it'll have 3D capabilities.
    I agree... Seriously? The iPhone only has a black background on the springboard, and you expect that the Tablet will be 3D? PFFT! They have good multimedia and stuff but very plain jane.
    Last edited by brianiino; 01-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

U guys comments make alot of sense EXCEPT there have been many great things that have slipped the "Major Annoucement Radar" like the MacBook Pro 13 and White MacBook Unibody all with increased processor speeds. So, I bet if all this hype is building up must be an impressive device. I hope the dev team is working on our jailbreak/unlock for the new fw. Hint Hint

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

This site posts A LOT of rumors :-\

Thanks

hp is supos to reveal theres tonight around 9 pm
    microsoft ceo is goin to release it at the show durin his speach

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    This site posts A LOT of rumors :-
    Well, in the world of Apple... everything is a rumor until they release it, lol. Can't even trust leaks with Apple. Every other company, yeah - leaks tend to end up being verified. But Apple's "leaks" are VERY hit and miss.

The Nano with a camera was a "rumor", and viola - it happened.

The 3Gs with a magnetometer was a "rumor" as well.. and what do you know - it happened.

The 3Gs with an OLED screen was a "rumor"... oh wait, that didn't happen.

Can't win them all. MMi, keep on posting these rumors! Some are bound to end up being right.
    #eli7e revived me

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I heard it will also cure cancer and bring about world peace.

Banned
    Thanks

iPhone OS!?

talk about lame!!!!!!