+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Begun This Tablet War Has: Apple in March, Microsoft by Midyear?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Begun This Tablet War Has: Apple in March, Microsoft by Midyear?

The Wall Street Journal - not generally a rumor mill - reported on Tuesday that the mysterious Apple tablet will ship in March and cost $1,000. And right on the heels of this news comes a report that Microsoft will announce its own touchscreen device at the Consumer Electronics Show on Wednesday. The two reports taken together are an indication that 2010 may be the Year of the Tablet.

According to a report in the New York Times, "people familiar with Microsoft’s plans" have revealed that Microsoft’s CEO Steve Ballmer is set to announce a new tablet device tomorrow in a session at CES 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The tablet - possibly similar to the device leaked as the Courier prototype - is described as "a multi-media whiz with e-reader and multi-touch functions." According to the Times's sources, the device will be built by Hewlett-Packard.

The Wall Street Journal's report says that the long rumored tablet will be announced this month, and will get to customers in March.
    Apple plans to unveil a new multimedia tablet device later this month, but doesn’t plan on shipping the product until March. While the shipping time hasn’t been finalized and could change, people briefed on the matter said the new tablet device will come with a 10- to 11-inch touch screen.
    This is in line with previous speculation, and the only new specific information there is the specific shipping date, as well as the detail that Apple will release the device with two different “material finishes,” without explaining exactly what those will be. The story quotes analysts as saying that “the Apple tablet will be priced at about $1,000, possibly including a subscription to a nationwide Wi-Fi wireless service.”

Microsoft's Courier prototype was revealed by Gizmodo in September. It had a "booklet" rather than tablet form factor and featured dual 7-inch multi-touch screens are multitouch, and work with a stylus, in addition to fingers. The hinge of the booklet has a home button with status indicators displayed along the rim of one of the screens and a camera on the back coverr.

image via Gizmodo

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Can't wait. I will be ready to camp out soon

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had a Microsoft tablet, a Toshiba Portege 3500. Worked great until I added some other Windows software. The poor multitasking on Windows made the handwriting and related table software unusable. Pity, but typically Microsoft. It did prove to me that tablet PCs are actually a good idea but Microsoft's offering was not ready for serious use. I'm sure Apple won't make the same mistakes and I would love to get their tablet. I would not be keen to gamble on a Microsoft offering again until it had proven it's self.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, Apple hasn't even announced their Tablet, there's just been rumors of it, but I guess that's enough to get Microsoft going with one. Sounds like they're rushing to get it out, so hopefully it'll be somewhat of a good product. At least it'll have Windows 7 on it so that's a positive!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

the tech battle between apple and MS wages on...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Right on!

Banned
    Thanks

The rumors are still not looking good. The best conclusion that can be drawn is still an iPhone (with iPhone OS) with a 10" screen for $1000. Pass.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Yep. It still sounds like a total joke. To be fair, the MS one sounds pretty terrible too, but will most likely have a realistic price for such a useless computer. $1000 for an e-book/news reader that is too big to really carry around everywhere? Sounds like something only fanboys will buy and hopefully will die out soon.
    I'm not too enthusiastic by Microsoft's Courier either, but I would certainly rather have Windows 7, even somewhat handicapped, than iPhone OS. Even if it can be jailbroken, it will still be a waste of a 10" touch-screen, and a huge rip-off at $1000.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    The rumors are still not looking good. The best conclusion that can be drawn is still an iPhone (with iPhone OS) with a 10" screen for $1000. Pass.
    Sounds like a bargain. The iphone without a cell phone and data plan is 600 dollars for a 3 inch screen. So a 10 inch iphone should be 1800 dollars. What a bargain at $1000. Of course if it has 3G or 4G built in I'm sure you will be able to get it for $700 dollars and a $60 dollar data plan and a two year agreement from AT&T or Verizon or who ever they jump in bed with.

Thanks

i dont need another carrier plan. i cant believe they would create such a redundent device. allthough i can only assume a little bit more capabilities than an iphone.
    killall Terminal[]

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    Sounds like a bargain. The iphone without a cell phone and data plan is 600 dollars for a 3 inch screen. So a 10 inch iphone should be 1800 dollars. What a bargain at $1000. Of course if it has 3G or 4G built in I'm sure you will be able to get it for $700 dollars and a $60 dollar data plan and a two year agreement from AT&T or Verizon or who ever they jump in bed with.
    So if I take an iPhone, cram it into a thin 10" touch screen case, and mark it $1000, you'll buy it? Would you like a bridge with that?

Thanks

For a 1000 bucks, Ill buy a Macbook Air. Hell, for another 200 I could buy a Macbook Pro. Who on earth would buy the tablet when you can get so much more for the same price. I guess seeing the actual device specs would help, but if its got intel integrated than this thing is a bust waiting to happen.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

Being in construction, depending on the capabilities of it, and if it did folder like a folder this could be a benefit for me at work.

I have to carry a folder to take notes, and carry drawings with me. Not if I had a FOLDING tablet the same size as a note book that I could view PDF files on it and take note (writing not typing) all in one, well I would buy it.

You can't do that with a laptop, I have several, 13 Macbook Pro, Mini Dell etc...

So I am curious, but it would have to be damn near perfect for me in order for me to actually buy it.

Guess we'll see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
    Being in construction, depending on the capabilities of it, and if it did folder like a folder this could be a benefit for me at work.

I have to carry a folder to take notes, and carry drawings with me. Not if I had a FOLDING tablet the same size as a note book that I could view PDF files on it and take note (writing not typing) all in one, well I would buy it.

You can't do that with a laptop, I have several, 13 Macbook Pro, Mini Dell etc...

So I am curious, but it would have to be damn near perfect for me in order for me to actually buy it.

Guess we'll see.
    I See your point, but I still just can't fathom the justication for making it so expensive. At first I thought I would pick it up and and replace my netbook - but I'm afraid of spending a grand on something this limited in scope. I just can't get over what I could be buying instead with that money, lol.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    I See your point, but I still just can't fathom the justication for making it so expensive. At first I thought I would pick it up and and replace my netbook - but I'm afraid of spending a grand on something this limited in scope. I just can't get over what I could be buying instead with that money, lol.
    Yea absolutely! On one side if it were cheaper there would obviously be a better chance of me to actually try it, but on the other side if I can't run larger files, etc... I wouldn't use it either.

Either way it's curious and I look forward to seeing me.

For my use the folder style is more feasible than a flat "slate". I would be more likely to buy this than the flat Apple version.

At least I think, we'll see lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

can't wait for this, $1000 is actually a reasonable price for this type of product, since it is being created by a company that stayed out of the netbook market because it claims it can't build a quality computer for less than $500. so for double that you get a tablet device, sweetness, and coming from apple you know it will have the innovation that Microsoft and hp lack big time, I could care less about hp's tablet, and could care less about windows 7 since it obvious tried to mock osx. Microsoft is behind, they can't catch up until they throw some creativity into the mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
    Yea absolutely! On one side if it were cheaper there would obviously be a better chance of me to actually try it, but on the other side if I can't run larger files, etc... I wouldn't use it either.

Either way it's curious and I look forward to seeing me.

For my use the folder style is more feasible than a flat "slate". I would be more likely to buy this than the flat Apple version.

At least I think, we'll see lol
    At a thousand dollars, I'm hoping, at least from a hardware standpoint, that is at least the equal to the HP touchsmart PC. I've been looking to replace my current guest pc with one of those, and mount the screen to the wall to some some much needed space. With this tablet, I hope to set up a mount on the wall for it to charge and serve as a super cool media center controller (Plex/XBMC) for my flatscreen. Then when I want to carry it with me, I'd just pop it off the mount and go whever I needed it to. That plus the ability to play AOE III/Rise of Nations on the go with touch control... *drool*

Like I said though, only if it is as capable as a laptop will it be worth the price.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9