+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3 Billionth App Downloaded from App Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple announced on Tuesday that the iTunes App Store marked its 3 billion downloads from iPhone and iPod touch users. Coming just over three months after the 2 billionth download,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3 Billionth App Downloaded from App Store

Apple announced on Tuesday that the iTunes App Store marked its 3 billion downloads from iPhone and iPod touch users. Coming just over three months after the 2 billionth download, the statistic indicates the rapid growth of the iPhone app marked shows no signs of slowing.

Steve Jobs was characteristically exultant in his statement.
    Three billion applications downloaded in less than 18 months -- this is like nothing we've ever seen before. The revolutionary App Store offers iPhone and iPod touch users an experience unlike anything else available on other mobile devices, and we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon.
    The 100,000 apps available on the App Store dwarfs the number available for other phones. Google has just 16,000 apps available for Android phones at the Google App Store, and there are only a few thousand available for BlackBerrys, Windows Mobile devices and Palm smartphones.

Though the App Store's growth has primarily been a result of the popularity of the iPhone, last month, App Store downloads to the iPod touch surpassed the iPhone's for the first time, for 172% of the iPhone's total, according to a study by the mobile phone market analysts Flurry Analytics. On Christmas Day, when many users cash in gift cards, Apple's App Store download volume was 13 times greater than downloads from all Android phones, according to the Flurry Analytics study.

The rate of increase in the number of downloads has been almost exponential. Apple announced on April 23 that its store surpassed 1 billion downloads, and it reached 2 billion downloads on September 28.

image via MacRumors

Thanks

Waw!!!

This is just soooo incredible. Just last year (2009) they reached 1 billion, and now in Jan, they reached 3 Billion... Allot of $$$ being made here folks..

P.S.: FIRST!!!! :d
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ugh. Big deal. Most of them are games, not useful utilities and actual apps. These numbers that get thrown around don't say anything about the platform. The only people who should really care are the developers whose programs are being downloaded.

Thanks

The three billion number is only important to Apple as they take in 30% of the sale. Who knows how many of these downloads are actually paid or free but there is one thing I do know.

Unless you are on a desktop or laptop, trying to find new and interesting apps is a pain in the rear on the iPhone/iPod. The organization is down right crappy. Unless you know the name of the dev or app odds are you won't find it easily. There are many devs struggling big time to make a return on their expenses for the apps they produce. Yes people are downloading things but it is very far from a perfect fair and balanced system.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

some of my downloads i end up deleting because i dont like them after ive tried it. then again sometimes i redownload it because i decide i like it again. kind of flaws the philosophy of actual downloads. 3 billion is a heck of a lot though.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

and to think steve jobs didnt want anything to do with apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch unless they were developed by apple themselves, to think of all the extra cash he could of made when they both came out, now it doesnt look like its gonna stop for a while

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

This news seems like a poke in the eye to Google and that Nexus thingy. It JUST SO HAPPENS that Apple lets loose a press release on the same day Google launches its phone.

Politics as usual, I guess.

But whatever, like someone else said, we don't know how many of those apps were free (probably most) and of poor quality (probably most).

I'm not saying that's not an impressive number, but most people out there will confuse "3 billions downloads" with "3 billion SALES" -- which is exactly what Apple wants you to believe. Those sly devils.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    Waw!!!

This is just soooo incredible. Just last year (2009) they reached 1 billion, and now in Jan, they reached 3 Billion... Allot of $$$ being made here folks..

P.S.: FIRST!!!! :d
    Too bad it isn't being made by the devs of the apps. Apps are notorious for making little return.

The only one making money is Apple and we're all working for them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A little off topic but since someone did mention the fact that people may download the same app more then once. We have three phones and two touches. I know we have sat around and all downloaded the same app when we could have just synced and downloaded it once. Anyway how come the app store knows when your account has already down loaded an app but not a song. With the amount of apps that are downloaded 3 billion. You know they could do the same with songs, they just don't. Just a thought.

Thanks

Impressive! Apple should have a 4 billionth downloaded app contest.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The appstore is indeed revolutionary. They did it with iTunes and now it's mobile apps. This is why anyone calling other smartphone an "iPhone killer" is just delusional. The appstore is just too huge. When I get money I'll invest money with apple.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I hear that

Thanks

Wow that's a lot of downloads.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

thats incredible but its gonna keep on goin...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Congrats to the App Store

Green Apple
    Thanks

As a member of the enlightened minority, I thought I'd offer some perspective:

Apps I've downloaded from the App Store: 45
    Apps I've downloaded from Cydia/Rock: 94

I barely even look at the AppStore anymore. Anything good you can do on the iPhone you have to jailbreak it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

most of the apps/games in app store cost only .99cent. if you live in the US and you have a job (even not decent, hahaha) what is .99cents? go to the .99cents store you find many. hahahaha