Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Faster 802.11n WiFi in 4G iPhone?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Faster 802.11n WiFi in 4G iPhone?

A reader of the tech blog Electronista passed on a tip about an old Apple job posting that may give a clue about an upcoming wireless speed bump for the iPhone. The listing for a "Wifi Software Engineer" seeks someone proficient in the 802.11a and 802.11n standards as well as the existing 802.11b/g the iPhone currently uses. While Apple desktops have long implemented the faster 802.11n, the posting specifically notes that the engineer would be working on "new functionalities of Apple's mobile and phone products."

The job posting was put up last year, which would put the development in the right time frame for the expected launch of the fourth-generation iPhone this coming summer. The posting was explicit about the work being a mobile implementation of the standard.
    The ideal candidate should possess excellent understanding and working knowledge of 802.11 implementations on embedded (preferably mobile) platforms. Relevant experiences include but are not limited to the following:

Implementation of 802.11 a/b/g/n & related specifications.

802.11i/802.1x Security protocols

Good understanding of wireless RF technologies & co-existence issues of 802.11 PHYs with other Wireless interfaces like Bluetooth.
    802.11n boasts up to five times the throughput and up to twice the range compared to the earlier 802.11g standard. Standard implementations use multiple antennas and two (or more) radios to be able to send a stronger signal and improve receive sensitivity to extend the range, while improved data encoding along with larger channel sizes allows for significant throughput improvement over 802.11g. The problem has been that all that wireless hardware drains a mobile phone's battery quickly.

It's been speculated before that a future iPhone may implement single-stream 802.11n, which allows the number of antennas on one end (say the phone) to be different than the number on the other end (the base station) while still taking advantage of improved data speed. 802.11n is not supported on the iPhone 3GS Broadcom chip, but the chip inside the new iPod touch does support the faster standard, though it is not currently implemented in software.

Apple is widely expected to unveil the next generation iPhone at the annual WWDC 2010 conference, which will be held in June.

image via Apple

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would imagine it would have n

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Shyeaaa

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

I am excited to see it. im sure these standards will be in both the 4g iphone and the tabet!
    Thanks,

Timbo

802.11n support was something I was looking forward to in the 3GS. But now 802.11n support alongside a faster processor, more RAM and a higher res camera would make the iPhone the best thing to ever happen in the mobile phone history ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

I'm defiantly going to save up for this one. I've never bought the phone right after launch cause I always waited on actual consumers reviews of the phone before buying it. Not with the 4G iPhone to come... Instead I'll be one of the consumers posting about it as soon as it comes out cause I'm getting it right away
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Makes sense for n wonder if it will have hsdpa?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Thank God, if 1/2 of the stuff we here about he new iPhone is true than it will truely be epic

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Woooohooo Sick can't wait

Everything on the iPhone needs to be faster :P

i hate rumors

All these rumors are gonna lead to disappointments. I wish it were all true but there is no way they could do all that, increase battery life, keep the price range, and keep it that size.
    All I am saying is we should take these for what they are, rumors.
    P.S. This is my first post from my new iMac!!

This is good news if it turns out to be true.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

I hope it turns into reality.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Keeping fingers crossed, one more reason to buy a 4g iPhone. That is if the rumors become a reality.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Well this was mentioned last year before the 3GS came out and it was not implemented so i guess we're back at it again. The only benefit i see from having N wireless functionality on the iPhone is for extended range and faster file transfer on your home network. Keep in mind wireless N DOES NOT improve data speeds on your phone. You're not going to see your internet load up any quicker because that's all handled by the internet provider.

We'll just have to wait and see if Apple will implement this or not. I don't believe it...

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

itll be here soon enough...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Here come more rumor.

Thanks

I thought "N" would have been with the 3GS. I thought the 3Gs would have been a different design at leaast the 3G had black/white plastic back and a little wider. I guess we have to wait for the announcement whatever it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

3gs wasn't much of a upgrade

I just want a new look for the phone and OLED. The 3gs was a good enough upgrade, not to say wouldn't want more power. New battery would be nice though, I'm happy with the speed of the current iPhone's wifi. Now if with wireless N they add a wireless sync......

Edit: They gave us remote wipes with the 3gs and 3.0, do like they did with Dollhouse this season and give us remote syncing or the ability to add new files from our home computers over 3g or wifi.
    Last edited by Masterz1337; 01-03-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast