+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking Beyond Apple's (Supposedly) Forthcoming Tablet

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
2010 has just begun and already industry analysts are calling it the year of the Apple tablet - exact name and device still pending. And while few are taking the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Looking Beyond Apple's (Supposedly) Forthcoming Tablet

2010 has just begun and already industry analysts are calling it the year of the Apple tablet - exact name and device still pending. And while few are taking the time to notice, we may be spending so much time thinking and dreaming about the still-mythical tablet device that we've failed to truly consider what else Apple has in store of our pleasure - and modification purposes - this year.

Okay, okay. We all know Apple had a great 2009. But like most Apple fanatics, I am less interested in the value of Apple stock, what Steve Jobs earned, and what company is suing Apple. For 2010, most of us hope it will be a year all about the gadgets. And from the looks of it - assuming, of course, we can get past the tablet - the next twelve months could bring with them a host of enthralling new developments, upgrades, and opportunities.

4th Generation iPhone

The 4th generation iPhone is likely set to debut this summer at WWDC 2010. Although we have few details about what the device will offer, look for big changes. Perhaps the 4th generation iPhone will offer a front-facing camera for video calls, a 5 megapixel camera, a 1GHz processor, LTE and a higher resolution display, etc. The 4th gen iPhone needs a big boost and Apple is surely preparing to serve up one.

The iPhone Comes To New Carriers

It's just gotta happen. AT&T is now officially restricting the expansion of Apple's customer base. There's no telling how many Verizon subscribers will line up at their closest Apple Store to buy an iPhone if and when Apple finally moves away from an exclusive deal with AT&T. Although this sounds like a prediction, it isn't. Most will tell you it's an unspoken reality destined for 2010.

A Refurbished iPod Touch

The iPod Touch seems primed and ready to receive an upgrade this year - most likely with a camera. From eWeek last September:

A camera-equipped iPod would be a game-changer in the digital-video recorder category, possibly endangering product lines such as the Flip Video device, whose parent company Pure Digital Technologies was acquired by Cisco Systems on March 19 for $590 million in stock and $15 million in retention-based equity incentives.
    Although an iPhone-style camera hasn't yet arrived for the iPod Touch, the next upgrade seems bound to include one. The "game-changer" could come in 2010.

Too Much Stuff To Mention

From Apple finally waking up to the frustrations of developers and Cupertino's apparent newfound focus on the expansion of Apple stores, iTunes, and everything digital media, there are simply too many obvious aspirations on the part of Apple to think that 2010 will simply be defined by a tablet device. Indeed, there will be many chapters to Apple's story in 2010. The tablet is just the first page.

Image via TechnoBlog

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Omani_Me93 (01-02-2010), whereswaldo (01-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

All I ask for is a Tablet (with OS X) and a 4th gen iPhone

Thanks

sounds big

give us something we didnt know was comin

Green Apple
    Thanks

The real big game changer for me would be for the iPhone OS to be moved to an open devloper platform and for customizing the background of the phone with out a jailbreak. The tablet to me us just a bonus for device if it is even anounced. It seems like a reality but it could also be a netbook style device.

Thanks

dude what about an i7 or i9 macbook pro??? i've been waiting for this to buy myself a macbook since last summer

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The 4th gen needs atleast 1Ghz processor and about 512MB ram and a whole new UI!! The current grey/blue looks boring and dull and no I can't make a theme myself to use in Winterboard.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

All I want from Apple are: 1.) 4th Gen. iPhone and 2.) 27" iMac with an even more powerful processor and video card!!! Then I will be the happiest man on this earth... Waiting for those guys at Cupertino to kick it into the next gear
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    The 4th gen needs atleast 1Ghz processor and about 512MB ram and a whole new UI!! The current grey/blue looks boring and dull and no I can't make a theme myself to use in Winterboard.
    Making a theme is quite simple, or just download a theme, I recommend GT as it has a nice interface.

Also I can't wait for Apple tablet, looks like the greatest invention ever-
    How much will it cost in Australia?

Also a 4g iphone would be nice, they need to add themes to the itunes store, this would create many more iphone users as you can turn your phone into another one like the blackberry storm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

The iPhone Comes To New Carriers

It's just gotta happen. AT&T is now officially restricting the expansion of Apple's customer base. There's no telling how many Verizon subscribers will line up at their closest Apple Store to buy an iPhone if and when Apple finally moves away from an exclusive deal with AT&T. Although this sounds like a prediction, it isn't. Most will tell you it's an unspoken reality destined for 2010.
    Has anyone else noticed that At&t has stopped airing iPhone Commercials for their network. Instead they have focused only on BlackBerry. Another sure sign to me that the iPhone will go to other carriers. However, I cannot see the iPhone going to Verizon. Yes Verizon is a huge carrier in the US, but it would require Apple to make completely a completely different type of hardware for each of its carriers. The iPhone caters to GSM networks across the globe, and Apple has a good relationship with T-Mobile in the UK, Germany, and other countries. IMHO, although T-Mobile isn't the largest network in the US, they already can handle the iPhone on EDGE and should be able to handle the iPhone on 3G or 4G with some minor tweaks to the device. This would also crack down on those JBers who only JB to Unlock the iPhone when the iPhone is already supported and sold by both GSM carriers in the US. Call me naive but I just cannot see Verizon picking up the iPhone after all of their anti-iPhone campaigns and the amount of money they are putting into promoting the Android platform. And we also see the problems O2 and At&t have been having with too many smart phones on their networks. I project we would see the same problems with Android and iPhone OSs on Verizon. Also, if T-Mobile wishes to become as large as At&t and Verizon, they better secure the iPhone for their network. With the possibility of the new Google phone being sold unlocked would not give T-Mobile the exclusivity on a single hot selling device, which they need.
    Last edited by Melech518; 01-02-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

triniflavaforya (01-03-2010)

Thanks

Enough speculation already...These devices will come when they come and then we'll see what lessons Apple has learnt from the past and what new stuff has been added or not!
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 01-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

Melech knows

Thanks

Whatever the annoucements and products are is already written in stone for 2010 IMHO

Thanks

the iphone won't need huge changes to work as a phone without a sim card like it would on verizon, they already have a sim-less iphone running on Bell in Canada (our equivilant to Verizon)
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

the number one feature i want is a Flash for the camera

Thanks

I just want my Mamy.... lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

4th gen iPhone, iPhone OS 4.0, and an Apple tablet running OS X. I will be so happy. =*)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I here you man that's exactly what i said about the processor and memory. However, i'm ok with the UI only up to the point of looks. As for customizations it definitely needs that. The function of the UI needs a HUGE change. I hope it all happens!

The tablet seems like a nice device and i'll be sure to check it out at the Apple Store but my mind is on the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that At&t has stopped airing iPhone Commercials for their network. Instead they have focused only on BlackBerry. Another sure sign to me that the iPhone will go to other carriers. However, I cannot see the iPhone going to Verizon. Yes Verizon is a huge carrier in the US, but it would require Apple to make completely a completely different type of hardware for each of its carriers. The iPhone caters to GSM networks across the globe, and Apple has a good relationship with T-Mobile in the UK, Germany, and other countries. IMHO, although T-Mobile isn't the largest network in the US, they already can handle the iPhone on EDGE and should be able to handle the iPhone on 3G or 4G with some minor tweaks to the device. This would also crack down on those JBers who only JB to Unlock the iPhone when the iPhone is already supported and sold by both GSM carriers in the US. Call me naive but I just cannot see Verizon picking up the iPhone after all of their anti-iPhone campaigns and the amount of money they are putting into promoting the Android platform. And we also see the problems O2 and At&t have been having with too many smart phones on their networks. I project we would see the same problems with Android and iPhone OSs on Verizon. Also, if T-Mobile wishes to become as large as At&t and Verizon, they better secure the iPhone for their network. With the possibility of the new Google phone being sold unlocked would not give T-Mobile the exclusivity on a single hot selling device, which they need.
    I havent seen that really. Although, i haven't seen much T.V lately. But Apple wouldn't have to make a different type of phone for each, they could just create a world phone and sell it that way couldn't they? T-Mobile can handle the iPhone as this point because they don't have that many iPhone subscribers as AT&T. Their network is still primitive compared to the other 3 carriers. Maybe one day they'll upgrade most of their network. I also, believe Verizon would have the same problem as AT&T with network.
    Last edited by hollow0; 01-03-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

we will see it when it gets here...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

more mashed potatoes and sherm
    killall Terminal[]