Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Miss Windows 7 Support Deadline

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Miss Windows 7 Support Deadline

With only hours remaining in 2009, Apple appears poised to miss a deadline it imposed on itself to roll out official support for Windows 7 with Boot Camp, Apple's partitioning and bootloader utility. The computer manufacturer had promised, in a Knowledge Base article released the same day as the Windows 7 launch, that the operating system would be supported by the end of the year.

Prior to the official launch of Windows 7 on October 22, 2009, the software giant had been releasing early builds to developers for as much as a year, and a public beta had been available since February 2009. Many users found that Windows 7 ran well under Boot Camp, but so far Apple has not finished work on a patch to the utility, and has not indicated when - or whether - it will be forthcoming

In the same knowledge base article in which Apple commited to an update to Boot Camp by today, Apple also specified nine iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro models that they would flat not support for use with Windows 7. Apple did not explain why those particular models would not be able to run Windows 7, but speculation surrounded the possibility of driver incompatibility with some peripherals on those computers.

image via e|news

Its New Years eve?
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

the official rtm doesnt work on bootcamp? I remember using the beta and rc builds and they worked fine. What went wrong?

Thanks

I ran bootcamp with Windows 7 on my Macbook Air. It's work fine. Took a little bit long to start up.

There are tons of issues using Win7 x64

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm using windows 7 64bit on my boot camp partition. It works great except for that windows has some printing issues (non mac related) and I hate the touch pad usage on the windows OS (mac related) it works better with OS X.

I already run win7 on my MBP using VMware and I'm yet to have issues with it and the programs installed except for the occasional black screen background...anybody know how to get rid of it for good?

Thanks

im running windows 7 32-bit on my mac mini thro boot camp works fine zero problems

Thanks

Same for me, running Win7 64-bit on my MPB with ZERO problems.
    Apples taste good.

Im running windows 7 32bit on my early 2008 iMac with no problems...i was even able to download the drivers to get my magic mouse to work too...I rarely use windows 7 though only when i have to run a windows program that is not available on mac..

Default Boot Camp
    I actually called apple yesterday for that specific question and they stated they will miss the deadline because it is not ready yet and by the looks of it might come with OS update 10.6.3 which the representative did not when too.

Thanks for the positive posts where Win 7 X64 is working fine.
    I will try tomorrow and get back it another update.

Happy New Year!

Apple actually confirmed some user installing Win 7 successful but stated that if anything goes wrong they wont be able to provide support.
    Last edited by emendonca79; 12-31-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Running windows 7 on my mini works fine

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

i'm running windows 7 on my 2008 macbook had it only i'm not using bootcamp i had it on parallels 4.0 switched to 5.0 though i just dont like i dont get aero peek but everything else i get except i want to be able to get my isight and stuff working and it wont

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm running Windows 7 32bit to with Bootcamp/VMware but at installation my Windows 7 disc wouldn't eject from Windows side so had to boot up back into OS X to get it out.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Installing windows on a Mac is just RUDE!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

its like putting a geo metro emblem on a porsche
    killall Terminal[]

I've had Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium running since the beta was out and have had zero problems. The trackpad is a bit annoying in how fast it scrolls but that is negated by mouse razer mouse. I only use it for games though, not really any other things. It's amazing how much flash absolutely sucks in OS X compared to 7. Watching youtube videos and anything else flash video is a joke on OS X. Gaming on OS X is a joke too, that's really the only reason I have it installed, though now I wish I could resize the partition without having to wipe it and start over. Windows 7 does have some very cool bits that I wish SL had too,

Thanks

I running 7 on Virtual Box on my MBP and yet have no issues so far.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Windows 7 x64 issues, unibody MBP 17:
    -Trackpad performs poorly.
    -Bluetooth has tons of issues, sometimes it doesn't start, sometimes it won't recognize peripherals, Magic Mouse freezes randomly.
    -Computer won't enter sleep sometimes.
    -Random BSOD using apple 802.11n driver, had to use generic broadcom driver.
    -Random hang ups when browsing or scrolling through pdfs, had to disable graphic driver power management.
    ...etc

I have two of this machines, both behave similarly.

I Installed Windows 7 x64 on my Macbook (White 2.4 GH, which I added a 640 gig HD in). I ran the bootcamp assistant from Snow Leopard. Then when Windows 7 booted, I had to format the bootcamp Partition to NTFS. Then it installed it just fine. Then once it was installed, I figured out how to install bootcamp on it, because it said that x64 wasn't supported on my machine.

Then I put in my snow leopard disk into the computer and Lets say drive D is the DVDROM. I went to D:\Drivers\Apple\x64 and ran AppleTrackpadInstaller64.exe so I could have a functioning right click (two finger and click).

Then I hit the start Butten, All Programs, Accesories. Then Right clicked Command Prompt, and selected "Run as administrator"

Then I typed "d:" and hit Return to go to the DVDROM.
    Then I typed "cd \Drivers\apple" and hit Return to go to the boot camp folder
    Then I typed "Bootcamp64.msi" and hit Return to launch the bootcamp installer. It installed everything, and everything seems to work
    Last edited by jaminmc; 01-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast