Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Confirmation of Apple's Tablet

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Another Confirmation of Apple's Tablet

If Apple is really trying to keep their tablet under wraps until next month's big reveal, someone in Cupertino should probably have told Kai-Fu Lee to tone down his loose lips on his widely-read blog. The former president of Google China did, indeed, confirm the worst kept secret in the computer world: the Apple tablet is coming.

"Most surprising, Apple predicts production of nearly 10 million [units] in the first year!"
    Lee was formerly employed by Apple before moving over to Google, where he held an executive position until earlier this year. Now retired from Google, Kai-Fu Lee is a free spirit who tells it like it is on his blog (it's written in Chinese, of course). Lee, however, is still "in the game." He founded and now presides over Innovation Works, a technology fund in China.

What juicy gossip does Lee present in his blog? For starters, the tablet will allegedly weigh less than a MacBook Air (see quote below). Basically operating as a large iPhone, the tablet will also come with a 10.1-inch multitouch touchscreen as predicted. Although various names have been proposed, it appears that "iGuide" won't be the name of the device itself, but rather a service somehow related to the tablet.

"The Apple Tablet looks like a bigger iPhone that sports an awesome UI packed in a beautiful 10.1-inch screen. The tablet combines the functions of both netbook and kindle, an ebook reader. It has virtual keyboard for text entry and a webcam for video conferencing."
    Most excitingly, Lee confirms the January reveal for the Apple tablet. Although we were all pretty sure of a January 2010 announcement, Lee's corroboration certainly puts some impatient minds at ease. According to Lee, the tablet will arrive packed with 3D graphics and will likely retail for below $1,000. Lee also touched on the possibility that Apple will partner with an assortment of U.S. network operators to reduce the overall cost of the tablet. It's feasible that buyers will receive the tablet at a discount when they sign up for a mobile service contract.

Image via TechnoBlog

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

PLEASE don't let it be a modification to iPhone OS! Give us OS X! I will buy it then, and only then.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Chris it sounds like this tablet wont even be a computer and will lack lots of features. Especially if its cheaper then my $1600 macbook i bought.

Man I can't wait.
    I love my iPhone Cydia style.

Quote Originally Posted by messany View Post
    the former president of google china did, indeed, confirm the worst kept secret in the computer world: the apple tablet is coming.
    omfg!!!!?!?!?!??!!!!
    Teh apple taby is coming!!?!?! Zmfg!!?>!>!>.>!!

EDIT
    Eh!? Why did this thing lower case my post!? It was all caps! Not fair!

hmm, unless it's in the price range of 300-400 bucks, then I want an actual OS on it so it can be used for computing purposes. Or if it has a modified version of the iPhone OS, it better include the simple computer functions like being able to print, using a mouse or keyboard (over bluetooth) and the ability to output to a monitor.
    Really?

Sign me up im there just need a release date so I can invest in Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be pissed if they use the iPhone OS bullcrap that's locked down; an atom processor is no good if it's restricted and underclocked

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

just push it out already... theyve been on the pot too long now...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

I love it already!

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

well if this tablet has enough ram and stuff i bed someone will hack it so it can run osx
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Wow. I bet it'll run iTunes Apps! Imagine playing some of the iPhone/Touch games on a bigger screen? Could this be the DS killer? Aren't there rumors that Apple wants to take on gaming? Why am I so full of questions this morning?

Thanks
    Can't wait for this tablet
    - 16GB - Jailbroken
    - 16GB - Not Jaibroken.

osx please
    iphone os= fail
    i dont want an oversized iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    The former president of Google China did, indeed, confirm the worst kept secret in the computer world: the Apple tablet is coming.

Lee was formerly employed by Apple before moving over to Google, where he held an executive position until earlier this year. Now retired from Google, Kai-Fu Lee is a free spirit who tells it like it is on his blog (it's written in Chinese, of course).

What juicy gossip does Lee present in his blog? For starters, the tablet will allegedly weigh less than a MacBook Air (see quote below). Basically operating as a large iPhone, the tablet will also come with a 10.1-inch multitouch touchscreen as predicted. Although various names have been proposed, it appears that "iGuide" won't be the name of the device itself, but rather a service somehow related to the tablet.

Most excitingly, Lee confirms the January reveal for the Apple tablet. According to Lee, the tablet will arrive packed with 3D graphics and will likely retail for below $1,000. Lee also touched on the possibility that Apple will partner with an assortment of U.S. network operators to reduce the overall cost of the tablet. It's feasible that buyers will receive the tablet at a discount when they sign up for a mobile service contract.
    Yawn. A blogger (who is now retired from GOOGLE from this year) who also no longer works for Apple has confirmed it? Wow, it must be true now.

Also, Mr. Obvious (Lee) hasn't written anything new about current rumors that are circulating....Apple will partner with American networks for service here in the US? And we get a discount if we sign up for a contract? Gee thanks for those little tidbits Mr. Lee
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

16. The Following User Says Thank You to southfrisco For This Useful Post:

Hondamaker (12-31-2009)

Thanks

Can't wait.

Livin the iPhone Life deathbybunnies6's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it has a choice of changing its OS if it runs a modified version of the iPhone OS to a modified Snow Leopard
    My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation

No need to worry guys, 2010 is just a few ticks away!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Because typing on that big hunk of glass that lacks any kind of tactile feedback will be fun right? Wrong. The only way typing for more than 5 seconds wouldn't be excruciatingly slow and clumsy would be if you connected a USB keyboard to it, and you might as well have a netbook at that point. 10" iPhone FTL

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    Because typing on that big hunk of glass that lacks any kind of tactile feedback will be fun right? Wrong. The only way typing for more than 5 seconds wouldn't be excruciatingly slow and clumsy would be if you connected a USB keyboard to it, and you might as well have a netbook at that point. 10" iPhone FTL
    I don't know about that Luppin, I've come to love the iPhone's keyboard. I know this isn't exactly a stone's throw away from the iPhone, but if it has the same type of feel to it, I could definitely learn to get used to it.

My only concern really is what OS it's running.. Hope it's OSX and not the iPhone OS.
    Last edited by f3nd3rmus1c; 12-31-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: can't spell.. probably still errors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast