+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1,400,000 Tablets in 2010 at $600 Each: Munster

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In a note to investors, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster asserted that Apple could sell 1.4 million tablets in 2010... if they priced it at $600 US. The tablet is
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 1,400,000 Tablets in 2010 at $600 Each: Munster

In a note to investors, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster asserted that Apple could sell 1.4 million tablets in 2010... if they priced it at $600 US. The tablet is not even announced yet, let alone its selling price, but Munster has been consistent in calling for a price range of $500 to $700 for the device that AppleInsider calls a "Kindle Killer."

Looking at his sources in the Taiwan supply chain, Munster estimated that Apple could sell 162,000 of the devices each month, pushing out about 2 million every year.

For purposes of sensitivity, assuming the tablet comes out in March 2010, we believe Apple would sell around 1.4 [million] units at a $600 [average selling price] in 2010. The tablet is not yet included in Street models, so we expect the multiple to expand as tablet hype builds ahead of the announcement, and numbers to go up once the device is announced.
    Munster also reiterated his assessment that the device would run a version of the iPhone OS, rather than Mac OS X. He said the company would initially package the device as compatible with the hundreds of thousands of iPhone apps out there, as well as new apps that would take advantage of the tablet's large screen.

While there are several options ranging from a touch screen Mac OS X to an iPhone-like OS, we expect the tablet to be driven by a new version of Apple's iPhone OS that runs a new category of larger apps alongside all the current apps from the App Store. We believe Apple's tablet would compete well in the netbook category even though it would not be a netbook.
    Reports began coming in last week of Apple asking developers to prepare large-screen demos of their apps.

Additionally, Munster supports the speculation that the device will be a media platform for both e-books, TV shows and movies. It was reported that CBS and Disney are in talks with Apple on an iTunes TV subscription service that would give flat-fee access to top TV shows streamed to computers or portables like the tablet.

Though prices of $1,000 US and higher have been floated in the rumor churn surrounding the mythical device, Munster is almost certainly correct in his assessment that keeping the tablet affordable will be key to its success. Many have noted that Apple hurt themselves by pricing the original iPhone too high. Let's hope that Apple is paying attention to the pundits.

image via Gizmodo
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 12-28-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks

allthough i agree with others that this should carry the macOSX. if it has the iphone OS, well have another platform to modify like the iphone. also, with a bigger screen, rumors of articulate touch sensitivity. the gaming market, including all those FPS games, will expand to a more suitable playing experience.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can we jailbreak it? LOL

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to make the Tablet with OSX on it! I don't want a glorified iTouch, I want a good OS that I can use for school and work and not have to use the App Store to get products. So Apple, be smart, put OSX on it! I don't want another device I have to mod to make it sweet...just keep it simple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

I will buy one but, I will wait the price drop first......
    Usualy apple do this.(First $600.00 after that will go to $299.00)

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

sadly if this runs something similar to mobile osx on the iphone, it will have even better security than the newest idevices. And probably be just as closed:/ maybe it will get all the iphone hackers interest in the platform again tho!
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll be fairly shocked if they try to charge $600 for this device. Considering you can pick up a fairly beefy netbook for $500.

I'm sure the fanboys will jump all over it though. For $600 it's getting close to reasonable, but far enough to make people wonder "Why am I buying a 10 inch ipod touch?"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plotkin35 View Post
    Can we jailbreak it? LOL
    it will have to be if you are sync-ing it with your iPhone

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So, its going to be a macbook air with no keyboard... lol

IF this gets revealed at the next mac event, I bet we will see the mac book air disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I'll be fairly shocked if they try to charge $600 for this device. Considering you can pick up a fairly beefy netbook for $500.

I'm sure the fanboys will jump all over it though. For $600 it's getting close to reasonable, but far enough to make people wonder "Why am I buying a 10 inch ipod touch?"
    lol, have you looked at how much the iphone cost unsubsidized?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this is a waste of money if it has the ipod os idk what its called, but the mac osx or w/e would be MUCH better, I hope apple thinks before releasing it with the ipod os, lol what if they released two of em, one with mac osx and one with ipod os

Green Apple
    Thanks

My guess the battery life will be a key issue and Apple know it. That implies an ARM style processor, like the iPhone, not an Intel processor used with OS X systems. It follows that iPhone OS will be the starting point. The ideal would be if they ported OS X to ARM processors. Given they did it before with Power PC to Intel they could do it again but I suspect they won't so they can attempt the same control that is holding back the iPhone.

The wild card is Linux running on the ARM processors on the next generation of netbooks. Given the open source nature of Linux porting apps to ARM will follow for all the important apps. That's going to hurt Microsoft who's closed nature will not port freely. Apple could match and pass Linux if they wanted by extending the Power PC/Intel build process to Power PC/Intel/ARM. It will be interesting to see which path they follow.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

sick with it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i bet if it ships with the iphone os and, say roughly 512mb to 1gb of ram, im sure hackers will find a way to get osx on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so given that that the tablet comes with 3G capability and they have a contract with a carrier, do you think the $600 price point will be with the 2 year agreement or is that probably going to be the unsubsidized price?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukoda View Post
    My guess the battery life will be a key issue and Apple know it. That implies an ARM style processor, like the iPhone, not an Intel processor used with OS X systems. It follows that iPhone OS will be the starting point. The ideal would be if they ported OS X to ARM processors. Given they did it before with Power PC to Intel they could do it again but I suspect they won't so they can attempt the same control that is holding back the iPhone.

The wild card is Linux running on the ARM processors on the next generation of netbooks. Given the open source nature of Linux porting apps to ARM will follow for all the important apps. That's going to hurt Microsoft who's closed nature will not port freely. Apple could match and pass Linux if they wanted by extending the Power PC/Intel build process to Power PC/Intel/ARM. It will be interesting to see which path they follow.
    So why exactly are you saying that the ARM processor would be the only viable solution when almost every netbook on the market is running some variant of the Intel Atom proc? Even the 4 cell netbooks are getting 3-4 hours of battery life with wi-fi on.

My old HP netbook with a 6 cell ran for almost 8 hours with wi-fi enabled.

Thanks

interesting

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple (IMO) will update the Air this year. Maybe this tablet will be the new Air and it will run OSX. Just a guess. But I am possitive that the hackers WILL find a way the put OSX on it anyway. I hope Apple doesn't create a product that will make me want to turn in my new iMac for one of these. Lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

At 600 I will buy one

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

$600 my ***. This is applewe're taping about. The iPhone is almost that much and it's way smalller. You're talking about more hardware, bigger screen, etc etc etc. No way it'll be near $600. And as for it to be a kindle killer, lol. A kindle has a much better battery life and if you want it to read books, why pay fir something that has a shifty battery life, a color screen for black and white text and no amazon ebook store. Just like other tablets, it's gonna tank. And if it doesn't it's because of al the apple fan boys gettig it so they can keep sucking Jobs cock.

Thanks

uummmmm....sooooo yummy. cant wait =/)
    killall Terminal[]