Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disney, CBS in Talks With Apple on "iTunes TV"

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Disney, CBS in Talks With Apple on "iTunes TV"

The Walt Disney Co. and CBS have expressed interest in providing programming on a proposed iTunes TV subscription service that Apple would be offering, according to published reports in The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. The media giants are allegedly in negotiations with Apple on the service, which would be an online competitor to cable and satellite TV. Disney is said to be talking about providing programs that are currently broadcast on the ABC, ABC Family and Disney Channel networks, while CBS may provide shows from CBS and CW, according to the reports.

The companies are not strangers to providing content via streaming media over the Internet. Both CBS and Disney have arrangements with Netflix to offer access to a range of shows to a computer or Internet-connected set-top box for a flat monthly fee. Netflix also streams Starz, MTV, Showtime, Discovery and A&E content. Apple's idea for this new iTunes TV service was discussed by Peter Kafka at All Things Digital last month, and he noted at the time that Disney would be a likely early adopter.

Industry executives believe that if anyone jumps first, it will be Disney (DIS), since CEO Bob Iger has shown a willingness to experiment with Apple and iTunes in the past: In 2005, Disney was the first player to sell its programming on iTunes, via a-la-carte downloads.
    Apple has been talking about a $30-per-month subscription plan that would be unlimited and advertising-free. The report in The Wall Street Journal indicates some media companies are worried this service could cut into the business of selling bundles of cable programming to distributors like Comcast and Time Warner Cable Inc, which air the programs with ads. The current proposal is supposed to be that Apple pay the media companies $2 to $4 per month per subscriber for broadcast networks and $1 to $2 per month per subscriber for cable network, according to the reports.

image via Apple

hmmm. i could get into this. dont like commercials, so that could be a bonus.
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

Apple has been talking about a $30-per-month subscription plan that would be unlimited and advertising-free.
    Yeah, we will see how long that lasts without any ads. You really think Apple is going to turn down the profits from advertising. It reminds me of of Ad-free satellite radio. Yeah, there are no commercials or ads for other companies, but the satellite radio companies put tons of their own commercials and ads in there. I am willing to bet Apple TV subscription service will be littered with tons of Apple ads for every single product.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Disney on itunes TV, yahuuuii.....

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Yeah, we will see how long that lasts without any ads. You really think Apple is going to turn down the profits from advertising. It reminds me of of Ad-free satellite radio. Yeah, there are no commercials or ads for other companies, but the satellite radio companies put tons of their own commercials and ads in there. I am willing to bet Apple TV subscription service will be littered with tons of Apple ads for every single product.
    yeah. you make a solid point there.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Finally! A competition in which cable and satellite TV prices are lowered.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

if apple tv have subscriptions i will buy it immediately, oh wait i don't think they will let me apply in china, do they?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

So will this "iTunes T.V." offer the same channels or service as with cable companies? Because if it does offer the same shows and networks for only $30 that's pretty damn good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

ad free, not so much
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...