+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Firmware Update to Fix 27" iMac Graphics

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple released a firmware update for the graphics chipsets in its 27" iMacs in order to try to address display issues that have turned up in the new models. The
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Firmware Update to Fix 27" iMac Graphics

Apple released a firmware update for the graphics chipsets in its 27" iMacs in order to try to address display issues that have turned up in the new models. The company was also found not liable for earlier problems with iMac screens, as a judge threw out a class action lawsuit alleging that Apple knew about problems and did nothing to fix them.

The 27" iMacs have been plagued with display problems since they began shipping in November. Some machines arrived with cracked screens, which Apple has been replacing, while others have had distortion or flickering on the large LCD displays.

The company initially denied that there were any problems, and is still maintaining that there is no problem with the computers themselves. However, the knowledge base article accompanying the release of 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 it says that the 638KB download "updates the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to address issues that may cause image corruption or display flickering."

Aside from cracked screens, the problems listed on Apple's support forum have included a yellow tint in part of the display and irritating flickers. Apple delayed shipping 27" iMacs earlier this month, claiming that it was having supply problems. However, many observers - such as Gizmodo - thought that the delay was really announced so it could deal with the graphics issues.

Users who have installed the update are giving it mixed reviews so far. Daniel Brusilovsky with washingtonpost.com's Tech Crunch noted that even after the iMac software update, he was still having issues with his screen. Others are having better luck, stating that the problems have subsided.

In a separate matter, a federal judge dismissed a potential class action lawsuit which alleged that Apple shipped iMac screens that had manufacturing defects to its customers. Judge Jeremy Fogel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California said that the allegations were too general to be meaningful. According to the lawsuit, unwanted vertical lines would appear on the devices after the warranty period had expired. They alleged that Apple "internally recognizes and concedes" the defect, but did nothing to warn consumers. Even though the suit was dismissed, the judge said that the case might still possibly go forward if the complainants added more detail.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I am one of the lucky ones that never had issues thank God.. but I'll probly install the patch anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

I barely had issues. It was like 1% of the time I would use my computer I would come across the millisecond flicker, but then id just put it to sleep and wake it back up and it would be gone.

but thank god for this update.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks

im having the same issue with one of my digital cameras LCD screen. hmm. i think that apples diabolical plan has stretched further than we think.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Think I'll still wait another month or two before I go ahead and buy one of the 27" iMac's with Core i7's... Cause if I spend over 2k and that screen or anything else fucks up... I'm going back to apple and taking 2 x iMac's out the door and wanna c them try'en do something about it.... (I'll have my attorney standing in the door waiting for me)...
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I am one of the lucky ones that never had issues thank God.. but I'll probly install the patch anyway
    Don't fix what's not broken! If it already works why install a patch? You never know what could happen!

Also, ATI = FAIL.... I'm glad my macbook came with NVIDIA.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont understand how something would get released with such an egregious error but, whatever its fixed
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...