Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Operation Chokehold: FAIL WIN?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Operation Chokehold: FAIL WIN?

Operation Chokehold, the "attack" on AT&T's wireless network organized by Fake Steve Jobs, had elements of both success and failure Friday. On the one hand, it was an epic FAIL at bringing the network down: an AT&T spokesman told ABCNews.com that they "saw no impact." On the other, the protest drew attention to users' legitimate complaints about network performance, and publicized AT&T's lack of investment in infrastructure.

Last week, AT&T Mobility President and CEO Ralph de la Vega said at a conference in New York that the company was studying ways to limit smartphone owners' use of bandwidth. Though he didn't say it outright, he hinted at the possibility of usage-based pricing. As a response, Fake Steve Jobs launched Operation Chokehold to protest the move.

Though AT&T claims its service was unaffected, the resulting hue and cry may have caused the carrier to back off from its plan to punish bandwidth hogs. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, de la Vega said the carrier has "not made any decision to implement tiered pricing." Instead, he said that AT&T plans to make more free WiFi hotspots available. The carrier currently has established more than 20,000 hotspots. De La Vega also made much of the fact that it is investing in "femtocells" - repeaters that use a home Internet connection and serve as a sort of miniature cell tower - that AT&T had tested earlier this year in Charlotte, N.C. and reportedly offer 3.2Mbit/sec 3G service to home users.

Despite these efforts, Gizmodo highlighted - in another of its clever infographics - a fact that Fake Steve Jobs had used to great advantage in his campaign: AT&T actually spent less on its network infrastructure since the iPhone was launched three years ago than it had before. Given persistent reports that AT&T will lose its exclusive iPhone arrangement in the coming year, AT&T's lack of investment may well turn out to be a poor long-term choice if another carrier steps in offering better service to iPhone users.

image via Gizmodo

If AT&T ever charges per mB for the iPhone, I'm leaving immediately.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruslan120 For This Useful Post:

DiPSET08 (12-19-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

me2

me 3

Thanks

me 4

jk im not with AT&T and im glad im not
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I highly doubt they would charge for that. That would be their downfall if they did. All i have to say is that AT&T better step it up or else it's all over. My service is great but i do not speak for the majority.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow0 For This Useful Post:

DiPSET08 (12-19-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

"Fake Steve Jobs"....that's ***. The idea behind it could be good if they kept it up and not just did it for 1 hour. Hopefully they'll see some results.

me 7

me 8, oh wait i'm in canada, every carrier has the iphone
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Monthly limit set by ATT on "Unlimited" iPhone Data Plan: 5GB, or 5120MB.
    Each forced data plan cost $30.
    5120MB/$30 = 170MB/$1

You pay $1 for 170MB. Once you go over the "Unlimited" monthly limit, there is always the possibility that AT&T will charge additional data fees, possible $0.10/MB, which comes out to 10MB/$1. This means through AT&T's plan, you've all gotten roughly 17x more MB's for the same buck.

You've all been charged all along. What now?

me 9er
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I just hope Apple is reading all of this. If AT&T keeps things up like this Apple I am sure will drop them in a heart beat. Why would Apple want their phone with a company that most are not happy with? Or are they?

Me 10er

But Att has me and so does Apple! Love my iPhone!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 12-19-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added sentence

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Me 11th

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Me...what number are we at now?

Ah who am I kidding? As long AT&T has the iPhone, they have me.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

ITS A BUISNESS PEOPLE, also like an earlier post said WE have been charged all along, more over there is thing that limits users who USE alot. SO say Jhonny down the lane is teathering all day long but Sue up the street just checks her email once in a while, WEll Sue gets higher priority over Jhonny in the network cue and will expierence a slightly faster speed. Basicaly its communism no one gets more than the other. But again its a buisness and they want to squeeze as much dollar with as little dollars in as possible *dollars in would be expanding the infastructure* so here is what you do....tell fake steve to do his chokehold like once a month it helps att test thier network in a real world situtation and perhaps they can teak it to give us more for less

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilsongeorge View Post
    me 8, oh wait i'm in canada, every carrier has the iphone
    Canada is awesome! ^^

I always love going over there.

Punk a s s AT&Cheap!.. man i cant wait till the FCC comes down on those Cork suckers!

Thanks

me 1 millionth

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK well AT&T will probably never change their plan rates...
    if they do change their rates it would be very stupid on their part because many people who have contracts before they changed would be able to VOID their contract with AT&T without a penalty because they changed the contract without your approval. This would turn out very bad seeings how many people just go to AT&T just to get a iPhone 3GS.

switching in 2011 unless they try to change my plan then ill say i signed a contract saying thats what im paying for and they can kiss my arse and that i will leave and will not pay the early termination fee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast