+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One Psystar Lawyer Says They're Done; Another Lawyer Disagrees

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Despite seeming to have come the end of its long legal battle with Apple, the tale of upstart Mac clone maker Psystar will apparently continue to amuse and confuse. On
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default One Psystar Lawyer Says They're Done; Another Lawyer Disagrees

Despite seeming to have come the end of its long legal battle with Apple, the tale of upstart Mac clone maker Psystar will apparently continue to amuse and confuse. On Friday, one of the company's attorneys said that Psystar was shutting down for good and firing its remaining employees. Later that day, the company's website went dark. Today, however, the site is back up and another Psystar attorney is saying the company is still in business.

Dow Jones reported a statement by Psystar's legal counsel, an attorney with the awesome name of Eugene Action, that founder and president Rudy Pedraza will be "shutting things down immediately," and that all of the company's eight employees will be let go. However, a story appeared in Computerworld late yesterday quoting an attorney with the less awesome but still impressive name of K.A.D. Camara who asserted that the earlier report had been untrue. Camara, of the Houston-based law firm Camara & Sibley, said that “Mr. Action was misquoted in an early story that seems to have been picked up elsewhere. Psystar does not intend to shut down permanently.”

Psystar had been directed by the court on Tuesday to close its Mac cloning business down. When U.S. District Judge William Alsup gave Apple the win on its injunction, he told Psystar they had until midnight on December 31, 2009, at the latest, to comply.

Defendant must immediately begin this process, and take the quickest path to compliance; thus, if compliance can be achieved within one hour after this order is filed, defendant shall reasonably see it done.
    The company had to inform Apple of its plans, but it did not have to make those plans public. Camara said that although Psystar was no longer selling systems loaded with Mac OS X, it would continue to sell PCs with other operating systems, including Windows, and would also sell its $50 Rebel EFI bootloader, which the judge had specifically said was not covered by his order.

Camara indicated that the legal battle was far from over. "Psystar will proceed to litigate the legality of Rebel EFI through the motion process described in Judge Alsup's order," he said. "Psystar will also proceed with its antitrust case in Miami."

Thanks

Horray! Psystar is amazing and i want them to keep selling quality products. This is great news.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they go down in flames. You want the Mac OS than step it up and quit trying to get cheap thrills.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

cheap thrills? Cheap price for better hardware you can stick with paying Apple ridiculous amounts of money if you want but a lot of people would rather buy a >Better< pc for >Less< money.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to riku98523 For This Useful Post:

devteamtools (12-20-2009)

Thanks

^ lol at both those comments

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    cheap thrills? Cheap price for better hardware you can stick with paying Apple ridiculous amounts of money if you want but a lot of people would rather buy a >Better< pc for >Less< money.
    It's not a PC it's a Mac. So, they couldn't have bought a "better PC"

Thanks

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, and I don't believe you own a Mac, much less touched one because if you have, you'll know the Mac IS NOT a pc and pc's don't even compare!
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 12-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

HAHAHA! Some ppl make me laugh. Let's hate just to hate......or did a Mac do something to offend you?

Thanks

First a mac is a PC. PC stands for Personal Computer the hardware in a mac is no different than the hardware in a computer running Windows or Linux the only difference with a mac is strictly its software. Every single piece of hardware in your mac can be bought separately then built into a perfect hardware copy of the mac for a fraction of the cost. When Apple builds a mac this is what they do they get huge discounts on the hardware for being a major company and buying in bulk they then install software also known as an Operating system then sell you the computer for a 80% profit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

First a mac is a PC. PC stands for Personal Computer the hardware in a mac is no different than the hardware in a computer running Windows or Linux the only difference with a mac is strictly its software. Every single piece of hardware in your mac can be bought separately then built into a perfect hardware copy of the mac for a fraction of the cost. When Apple builds a mac this is what they do they get huge discounts on the hardware for being a major company and buying in bulk they then install software also known as an Operating system then sell you the computer for a 80% profit.
    once upon a time this wasn't the case, but id have to agree with you now a days.

Thanks

I'm proud of you for knowing what PC stands for but in the computer world "we" the people as well as microsoft themselves, refer to computers as PC or Mac. That is the standard. Yes the design are somewhat similar, but the design of the Mac is not like a PC and neither are their macbooks, which is what i have. You get what you pay for and i haven't been regretful about it one bit. I bought it an can easily boot XP, Vista, or/and 7 (i have 7 running on it) easily. Run both of best worlds easily? Try to do that on a reg PC without hackintosh.

But i will say this, if anyone is on the verge of buying a Mac and doesn't feel like it's worth it but might get one, i would advise you to purchase one during back to school. The reason is because you get a free printer and itouch in the mix and the rebates are received quickly.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I'm proud of you for knowing what PC stands for but in the computer world "we" the people as well as microsoft themselves, refer to computers as PC or Mac.
    Apple disagrees with you, and anybody else who has been around computers long enough would as well. Apple, on their own site, calls a Mac a PC - Apple - Get a Mac

The proper distinction is Apple Macintosh and IBM-Compatible. They are both PCs. It is over-funded, under-educated marketing departments, such as the creators of the "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC." ads that cause confusion such as yours.

Thanks

"but the design of the Mac is not like a PC" Is a false statement the hardware isn't designed any differently the reason you can run windows on a mac is because M$ doesn't care they designed windows to be an open platform to run on all kinds of hardware (this is why Windows is considered buggy because it needs constant updates to support hardware).

The reason you can't run mac on a self built PC without jumping through hoops is because Apple doesn't give out their bootloaders and what not which is why you see special ones like the Rebel EFI. Hardware has absolutely nothing to do with a mac you aren't paying money for superior hardware or even a superior operating system you are paying money on a brand name just like someone who spends money on a Dell computer is paying for the name. Many people think they look cool by having a mac but I think I look more cool having the Mac OS running on equal/better hardware after paying a fraction of the price.

A buddy of mine runs his company on macs (graphic design) and recently he has scraped some of his macs for superior hardware but he still runs the mac OS just prefers the $500 he saves building it himself.

I always though the reason those commercials said windows was a PC and mac was a mac was so they could pull the "You don't own that mac you are just renting it" BS that all companies do now. Guess if they tried that though someone could link them to their own site lol.

Thanks

wow honestly who cares their both pc's and they both serve the same function, aparently logging into MMi and insulting each other. congrats on finding the internet...get over it there both equally great
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

way to set em straigh riku & smokesomereefer

and hollow0 is an idiot (in the nicest sense of the word)

I have a $1000 18.5 inch laptop (w/4gb ram)that runs snow leo perfectly, now imagine how much a 18.5 inch Macbook Pro would cost, kick rocks APPLE, ('cept for the iphone guys o'course, lol)

Thanks

anyone ever buy pystar products...i was curious to know if they were any good? if had known about them i probably would have bought form them !!

of course the question would be does there clone run as smoothly as the real deal or do they cut corners like many clone companies do

Thanks

after reading all these responses i forget what the initial story was about
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    You clearly don't know what you're talking about, and I don't believe you own a Mac, much less touched one because if you have, you'll know the Mac IS NOT a pc and pc's don't even compare!::
    Do y'all even know what PC stands for? A Mac is a PC tards. Btw, I worked for Apple for 8 years, and yes the machines are Extremely overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I'm proud of you for knowing what PC stands for but in the computer world "we" the people as well as microsoft themselves, refer to computers as PC or Mac. That is the standard. Yes the design are somewhat similar, but the design of the Mac is not like a PC and neither are their macbooks, which is what i have. You get what you pay for and i haven't been regretful about it one bit. I bought it an can easily boot XP, Vista, or/and 7 (i have 7 running on it) easily. Run both of best worlds easily? Try to do that on a reg PC without hackintosh.

But i will say this, if anyone is on the verge of buying a Mac and doesn't feel like it's worth it but might get one, i would advise you to purchase one during back to school. The reason is because you get a free printer and itouch in the mix and the rebates are received quickly.

Jesus, They are referred to as a "Mac" Because the manufacturer branded and named them Macintosh'.

When referring to a companies product, you don't say "PC", you're going to say Dell, or Toshiba, etc..
    Last edited by KooLLaiD; 12-20-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ok so PC=personal computer, whatever. industry wide speaking Macintosh is coined a Mac vs. PC, as its OS in functionality is different than any other computer companys OS. hence separating the two. anything that isnt Mac is PC. so as to the original argument, is Pystar a Mac or PC? [as it can run OSX] guess at this moment, whoever has the loudest voice, nuh uh's, and i told you so's will decide.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Mac OS functionality isn't different than another pc. All pcs serve the same functions.